Earthquake In Chiang Mai

PeaceBlondie

about 4 minutes ago as of writing this, my house (in chiang mai) was just hit by a minor earthquake.

since I'm writing this 4 minutes after it happened, you can probably tell that the earthquake hasn't knocked out power or anything of the sort.

cheers, looking forward to more info.

Edited by Choscura

Was that a series of tremors just now, or did a superjumbo jet just take off from the airport? My partner thinks it was earthquake tremors. We both had headphones on at the time, so we're not sure if it had noise, too.

Close enough to the airport (without headphones on) to report that it was not a hairyplane.

All I can find on the net is a quake in the Celebes Sea - dunno if we would get that aftershock, more likely that Myanmar had a serious rumble, no?

JxP

hey ovenman, you posted about a minute before I did.

I've felt two real earthquake tremors in Chiang Mai stronger than that, but it did shake our home, near the airport.

I'm up towards Mae Jo. I thought it was a pretty sharp shock here, but it didn't rumble on for too long.

So only Chiang Mai felt this?

We felt it also up in Chiang Rai. We have our own thread there.

I lived in Wellington, NZ, for a year 89-90 and we had a couple of heavy ones (5.6 - 5.8) and that shaked one up.

I had a friend there that was hypersensitive and he felt small ones noone else could feel. He could wake up in the middle of the night and 10 seconds later he could feel a small one. Checking with seismologic office proved him right all times.

He left to go back to Australia because he could not stand it.

:o:D :D

Good point about individual sensitivity. When I stayed in Nicaragua, everybody except me felt one right after sunrise, including the howling dogs (much of the national capital was destroyed by a giant earthquake in the 1970's). The first day we filled the swimming pool on the beach in Chiapas, Feb. 2000, one big clap knocked my motorcycle down (we kept it in the living room). Two before in Chiang Mai, including the one that caused the tsunami.

But this shock was centered in Chiang Mai province, amphur muang, right?