Thai Man Left Fighting for his Life after Bike Crash with Foreigner

webfact

16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

It isn't that at all; in Thailand a headlamp flash is an indication that that vehicle is there and is probably expecting right of way.  Anyone who takes it as anything else is deluded and living dangerously.

I have re-posted with emphasis for your benefit.

In Thailand, the short headlight flash is the relatively rare and polite 'after you' invitation whereas the long or multiple headlight flash is the  more common 'get outta my way, I'm coming through' warning.

You obviously haven't come head-to-head with myself or roo860 in cross flow traffic yet so here's a clue; we are the ones waving at you. Carry on driving defensively.

As in most things related to Thailand and posted in ThaiVisa, personal experience most assuredly can and in your case most assuredly will vary.

On 03/02/2017 at 3:13 PM, colinneil said:

Headline Thai man fighting for life after accident with a foreigner.

Happens every day with Thais, but a foreigner, !! hang him jail him !! terrible crazy farang driving on Thais roads.

When i was fighting for my life after a Thai hit me with his pickup, no attention seaking headlines then.

Not Farang I noticed. 

17 minutes ago, gdgbb said:

Your emphasis is redundant, thanks all the same.  My comment stands.

As I said previously, "As in most things related to Thailand and posted in ThaiVisa, personal experience most assuredly can and in your case most assuredly will vary.

I played at 'give way' 7 times today and single flash was all that was required. I got a couple of disarming smiles and nods of appreciation from a couple of Thai lady drivers but had to wave manically at one dark-tinted compact. Wasn't you was it?

Last word? Promise?

Edited by NanLaew

31 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

I played at 'give way' 7 times today and single flash was all that was required. I got a couple of disarming smiles and nods of appreciation from a couple of Thai lady drivers but had to wave manically at one dark-tinted compact. Wasn't you was it?

What you're saying is that you were confusing other drivers by trying to impart driving traditions on them that are not normal here.  Would you do the opposite back home were traditions are reversed?  Bet you wouldn't even dream of it there.

Why did you wave "manically" at one driver; were you so determined to impose your rule on someone who was, perhaps, a little nervous in following your demand that clashed with everything he was used to?

No, that wasn't me in a compact, what would I be doing in a piece of make-up equipment?

On 2/7/2017 at 1:07 PM, gdgbb said:

What you're saying is that you were confusing other drivers by trying to impart driving traditions on them that are not normal here.  Would you do the opposite back home were traditions are reversed?  Bet you wouldn't even dream of it there.

Why on Gods good earth would I want to challenge the British drivers supreme all embracing and all knowing adherence to the laws of the road traffic act? Talk about dreaming but that's just silly.

Why did you wave "manically" at one driver; were you so determined to impose your rule on someone who was, perhaps, a little nervous in following your demand that clashed with everything he was used to?

Yes, I wanted them to get outside of their comfort zone and (yes, yes... know it's risky) maybe think outside the box a wee bit.

Kinda like what I do when I push your buttons.

No, that wasn't me in a compact, what would I be doing in a piece of make-up equipment?

In hindsight, it was a sub-compact and your are right. There's no way that big old head of yours would fit inside one of them.

8 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Why on Gods good earth would I want to challenge the British drivers supreme all embracing and all knowing adherence to the laws of the road traffic act? Talk about dreaming but that's just silly.

Yes, I wanted them to get outside of their comfort zone and (yes, yes... know it's risky) maybe think outside the box a wee bit.

Kinda like what I do when I push your buttons.

"Why on Gods good earth would I want to challenge the British drivers supreme all embracing and all knowing adherence to the laws of the road traffic act? Talk about dreaming but that's just silly."                   

My point, exactly.  You wouldn't dream of doing it there but you do here!  Why?

"Yes, I wanted them to get outside of their comfort zone and (yes, yes... know it's risky) maybe think outside the box a wee bit."      

Why would you deliberately want to confuse them knowing that it's dangerous? 

Why would you also be so pompous to assume that you were in a position to make them think outside the box (and that they needed to) when they were just following normal driving convention here!

"Kinda like what I do when I push your buttons"

Don't flatter yourself, kiddo, it takes more than you to push my buttons but I think that you'll find that that is called trolling which is nor allowed here.  Better be more careful about what you admit to.

1 hour ago, gdgbb said:

"Why on Gods good earth would I want to challenge the British drivers supreme all embracing and all knowing adherence to the laws of the road traffic act? Talk about dreaming but that's just silly."                   

My point, exactly.  You wouldn't dream of doing it there but you do here!  Why?

"Yes, I wanted them to get outside of their comfort zone and (yes, yes... know it's risky) maybe think outside the box a wee bit."      

Why would you deliberately want to confuse them knowing that it's dangerous? 

Why would you also be so pompous to assume that you were in a position to make them think outside the box (and that they needed to) when they were just following normal driving convention here!

"Kinda like what I do when I push your buttons"

Don't flatter yourself, kiddo, it takes more than you to push my buttons but I think that you'll find that that is called trolling which is nor allowed here.  Better be more careful about what you admit to.

That your last word then?

Reading between the lines of the OP, it would seem that the German tourist with passenger aboard was riding unusually slowly, creating an obstacle for motorists behind him.  He was probably in the middle of the lane instead of the far left, where anyone intending to turn left is supposed to be.  Anyone who's ever driven in Pattaya should know that motorbikes frequently use the gap on the far left hand side of the roadway to circumvent traffic, and you need to check very carefully for bikes undertaking on the left before entering that zone.

Of course, there's no disputing that the rider who was speeding and collided with a slower vehicle from behind was at fault, was probably driving too fast for the conditions, and is guilty of reckless driving.  The fact remains that normally he would have gotten through unscathed but was caught out by a tourist driving erratically and making an unexpected maneuver that local motorists would probably not attempt.

I ride a very lively 150cc 2 stroke "baby Ninja" that hates to be ridden slowly, so am constantly slicing through tight spaces, maneuvering past slower traffic at the pace of an average Pattaya Pizza Hut delivery driver.  (For those who don't know what that means, it's about as fast as you can go through traffic and live to tell about it.)   To increase your chances of survival, I recommend you assume that nobody ever sees you coming, know that other drivers will always do the opposite of what you would expect, and in all circumstances be prepared for the worst case scenario.

In my experience the most dangerous drivers in Pattaya are usually foreigners, because they tend to drive according to the customs of their home country and fail to respect the local customs.  To make matters worse, they often feel obliged to vehemently "educate" the local drivers as to the error of their ways.  Even worse are the foreigners who've stayed here awhile and have gone too far in their assimilation, taking all the dangerous Thai habits to a ridiculous extreme.  I saw one deranged fellow this morning - shaved head and belligerent look on his face - overtaking a long line of traffic on the wrong side of South Pattaya Rd. in his new pickup truck, forcing oncoming traffic in his path to either swerve out of his way or collide head-on.  Embarrassing at best, lethal at worst.

Edited by jing jing

So have we all got to buy "battered smoking old bangers" .....not bother to have them tested at the Transport office, nor tax and insure them........then drive around like mindless morons....

What you are suggesting is that Thailand and Thai people stay and act like a third world country and not move forward

From my earlier post you may read that a female fool riding against the traffic on Sukhumvit ten days ago smashed into the front of my Revo causing 78,000 baht of damage (along with the inconvenience of me currently being without my transport)

I wonder how many of these people realize insurance companies will sue the culprit for a full recompense...... through the courts if necessary.......(and how long will they have that expense around their necks)

ps. I also ride a m/cycle

Edited by DD13