Judgement enforcement in thailand

Caca4u

A female thai friend of mine is getting sued in civil court for defamation. she didnt take very well when she got the notice.

She doesnt have a car, home or even scooter under her name and doesnt even have enough to pay a lawyer.

I am tempted to tell her just to ignore it since she cannot defend herself and doesnt have any property under her name so they are basically sueing a rock.

Is there anything else they can do in thailand like wage garnishment or seize her the funds in her bank account?

14 hours ago, Caca4u said:

A forner ex lover, also thai. He is doing this more as revenge than concern for his reputation. 

OK what proof does he have ??  and have seen the received notice of legal suit ??  you wrote worries of seizure of funds in her bank account so l find it hard to believe she can't rake up 20,000 - 30,000 to start a counter sue and make a counterclaim against him.

That usually makes these type of claims go away.

I have been to court a few times, won my case  100%, but the person ordered to repay the money he had stolen still defaulted on the payments even though he had plenty of money. Expect justice in principle, but not in practice :( At some point in my life I shall go to see this person and he will regret ever having heard of Thailand.

If she cannot afford a lawyer, then I find it highly unlikely she will have the funds in her account anyway lol...I think from memory it can get messy if there is computer stuff involved. Like if the defamation occurred on public websites of social media...that's when jail time (2 years) or big fines (hundreds of thousands) come into play. Regardless of it being a civil case as it can turn into a criminal case (especially if revenge is the motive).

As i said, could be wrong, is a vague memory of some defamation through Facebook that happened to someone i know. That was the advice from the lawyer at the time, but luckily the person who posted the stuff was smart enough to say sorry at the time (which is all my person really wanted).

I think justice is an interesting one...probably who you know and how much they can be bothered pushing the matter. 

Edited by wildewillie89