21 brands of Thai fish sauce free from botulinum toxin

snoop1130

Fish-source.jpg

Twenty-one brands of Thai fish sauce (nam pla) have been declared free from botulinum toxin and clostridium botulinum bacteria.

Medical Science Department chief Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai said on Monday that, after the United States had banned the import of all Thai fish sauce in 2014 for the lack of information about tests of botulinum toxin in the product, the Office of Food Safety and Quality had tested 48 brands of fish sauce available in the market to determine the content of botulinum toxin in the product.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/21-brands-thai-fish-sauce-free-botulinum-toxin/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-2-6

"Medical Science Department chief Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai said on Monday that, after the United States had banned the import of all Thai fish sauce in 2014 for the lack of information about tests of botulinum toxin in the product, the Office of Food Safety and Quality had tested 48 brands of fish sauce available in the market to determine the content of botulinum toxin in the product. "

Do we get to know which brands the 27 that presumably failed are?

Edited by Bluespunk

40 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

But they tested 48 brands :shock1:

Either that is some incompetent reporting, or 27 brands contain botulinum toxin.

And of course they're not going to tell us which brands contain it....

Also many restaurants in my area make their own fishsauce (which tastes much better than from a bottle).

It would be nice if we could be sure the ones we buy were safe and tested regularly...but hey of course that's too much asked...

botulinum toxin degrades with rising salt concentration and with fermentation.

this means that nam pla that has fermented for a long time will be safe - I expect the more expensive brands to be fermented longer.

In 'first world countries': 'On xxx brands of 'nam pla' available on our market, 48 were tested, only 21 of have been declared free from ... (and safe for human consumption...?), these are brands 1-2-3-4 ... 21.

In 'third world Thailand': How many brands of 'nam pla' there are on the Thai market we are not told, maybe just because the M.S.D. doesn't have a clue about it..., we're told 48 were tested, and only the names of the 27 showing to be contaminated are made public, giving a false sense of security to the consumers to buy any of the other ones, some of are though most probably also contaminated, I would eat my best Borsalino when not! Would that M.S.D., maybe, be afraid of being sued by any brand, even from the 27 contaminated ones, when they would name only the 21ones which tested 'safe'? Thainess, or ...?  

- but 27 do

Demonstrating the fact that Thais haven't yet managed the art of giving  health warnings

Furthermore: "We're sorry we can't tell you which brands for fear of getting our butts sued for bringing the good name of the manufacturers, who lace your food with toxins, into disrepute"

Now let me guess why they don't publish a list of the brands that weren't contaminated - For some unknown reason, the words envelope and brown keep coming to mind

Never mind TIT Look on the bright side;  There's only a 56% chance your choice of fish sauce will poison you

17 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

"Medical Science Department chief Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai said on Monday that, after the United States had banned the import of all Thai fish sauce in 2014 for the lack of information about tests of botulinum toxin in the product, the Office of Food Safety and Quality had tested 48 brands of fish sauce available in the market to determine the content of botulinum toxin in the product. "

...extract from the full report.

"Of the 48 brands tested, 28 are genuine fish from 18 production sources from12 provinces. 20 samples from production sources from eight provinces are adulterated fish sauce. However, tests show none of them have botulinum toxin of types A, B, E and F and free from clostridium botulinum bacteria."

3 hours ago, tandor said:

"Of the 48 brands tested, 28 are genuine fish from 18 production sources from12 provinces. 20 samples from production sources from eight provinces are adulterated fish sauce. However, tests show none of them have botulinum toxin of types A, B, E and F and free from clostridium botulinum bacteria."

And that bit of info made some sense to you? Care to translate?

4 hours ago, tandor said:

16 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

And that bit of info made some sense to you? Care to translate?

I'll try.

48 brands tested,

28 found to be genuine fish sauce,

20 found to be adulterated (not genuine) fish sauce,

0 found to contain the toxin or bacteria.

Fork knows where the number 21 in the headlines came from. That figure is not mentioned anywhere else.

Edited by chickenslegs

6 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I'll try.

48 brands tested,

28 found to be genuine fish sauce,

20 found to be adulterated (not genuine) fish sauce,

0 found to contain the toxin or bacteria.

Fork knows where the number 21 in the headlines came from. That figure is not mentioned anywhere else.

Just as I suspected in my first post, it is just another jewel of Thai journalism. Didn't understand the subject, but wrote an article anyhoo.

22 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

'On special' in the supermarkets this week....

7 hours ago, tandor said:

I read that. Still doesn't explain the headline of 21 being cleared. 

If all 48 are safe why not say so?

Edited by Bluespunk

Squid Brand has always had an identity issue with its fish sauce.  The label used to read "Does not contain squid"

Now it just details what ingredients to expect inside, including FISH, but no mention of botulinum.   That's a relief!!

squid-brand.jpg

Edited by Radar501

I have a friend here from an Island far (away lets say, )

he has been buying two bottles of fish sauce for a couple of years now,

and when I made comment a few months ago about why he had 2 bottles of the same product

on the dining table, he explained that he was reducing his chances of getting the wrong bottle,

I love life, here,