Non Imm B visa as Business owner...

I am going to be needing to get a Non Imm B Visa in order to operate a business that I will soon have in my name as owner.. The business is and and will remain a Thai Registered Company.  It has been operation for the past two and more years by the current -- soon to be former owner.  I do not have any questions or concern about the wisdom of becoming a business owner and changing visas

My current Visa Status -- is Extension on the Basis of Retirement (originally a Non Imm 'O' ).   The Thai Accountant currently providing services will be able to assist me in getting a Work Permit at the appropriate time.  I have been told by a Thailand Visa Knowledgeable person, that I should be able to get a One Year Multi-Entry Non Imm B Visa at the Thailand Consulate in Penang.  I have an agent I can contact there.  I would take my company documents and fly down there.  

However, I wish to confirm issuance of the Non Imm B Multi-Entry in Penang ... My Main Question - Is this possible at the Thailand Consulate in Penang?

The Non Imm B Multi Entry Visa (every 90 days exit/reenter) would be just fine with me as I have a G/F in a border city and it would facilitate visits and consolidate travel expenses.   Three years ago I had a Non Imm "O" One Year Multi-Entry and it worked just fine.    If the G/F arrangements plays out ... then using another border for a border bounce would not be a problem.   I know I could get a Non B that would only require visits to the local Immigration office... but ... this direction seems okay... 

Any helpful comments or clarifications would be appreciated... any Snarky comments - not so much ... 

Thank you in advance for your kind assistance. 

You will first need to get a single entry non-b visa after your work permit is applied for and you have a application approval letter.

Then after you get the non-b visa your work permit will be issued.

Then you could apply for a multiple entry non-b visa at the consulate in Penang since you will have a work permit with more than 8 months remaining on it which is one of their requirements to get it.

You may have to leave the country to get a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to apply for the work permit. Most work permit offices will not accept a application if your are on a retirement extension.

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will first need to get a single entry non-b visa after your work permit is applied for and you have a application approval letter.

Then after you get the non-b visa your work permit will be issued.

Then you could apply for a multiple entry non-b visa at the consulate in Penang since you will have a work permit with more than 8 months remaining on it which is one of their requirements to get it.

You may have to leave the country to get a visa exempt or tourist visa entry to apply for the work permit. Most work permit offices will not accept a application if your are on a retirement extension.

ubonjoe: I fully trust your answer based on your excellent track record.  However, I went to this link... 

http://wp.doe.go.th/wp/images/form/Form_tt1.pdf

And found this ...  W.P.1 (FOR FIRST TIME APPLICATION OR REAPPLICATION DUE TO EXPIRING) QUALIFICATIONS OF AN APPLICATION 1. Having residence in the Kingdom or having permission to stay in the Kingdom temporarity under lmmigration law (onl.y NON-IMMIGRANT VISA is acceptabte)...

Is this perhaps not the correct form instructions for someone applying for a Work Permit as owner of a company?  Perhaps there is a W.P. 2,, W.P. 3, etc. that has a different instruction that would be the same as your instruction above "You will first need to get a single entry non-b visa after your work permit is applied for and you have a application approval letter."

This seems to be one of those chicken or the egg situations... 

Any further advice here? 

Edited by JDGRUEN

I have just returned last Friday from  my annual non "B" visa renewal trip to Penang. Make sure that the one preparing the documents understands EVERY document that you will need. They can email the consulate there. This year (my 10th year in Penang) they at first refused me as I did not (nor was never required in the past) a copy of my employment contract/agreement from my business. As the weekend was looming I pleaded with them and they allowed my accountant to fax a copy of the employment agreement.

He also made me go outside and get copies of every page in my work permit. New this time.

When I went to collect the passport with visa the (angry) Thai gent sternly reminded me to have all of my documents next time.

This same fellow seemed to advise his colleagues on numerous tourists visa applications to not accept them. I actually heard him tell several people to "........get their 15 days at the border". Seems to be the Poo Yai there.
It is apparent that this guy is not a happy camper.

In addition every year I seem to have compiled many documents for submission, like 40 to 50. this year like last the Penang Thai Consulate returned 21 of these stating they were not needed. Still better to have more than not enough.

Sorry to get so  wordy, but I know that every bit of intel helps all of the others  in their quest.

• Like 1

Part 2

I just re-read your post. It seems you do not have a work permit yet. And this is your first Non "B". In that case you will get a 3 month single entry. you can buy the multiple stamp (for a single entry more or for the full 3 months) for the 3 months period. During which time you can apply for your work permit. Then when you return with your work permit they will issue a one year multiple entry non "B".

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

Part 2

I just re-read your post. It seems you do not have a work permit yet. And this is your first Non "B". In that case you will get a 3 month single entry. you can buy the multiple stamp (for a single entry more or for the full 3 months) for the 3 months period. During which time you can apply for your work permit. Then when you return with your work permit they will issue a one year multiple entry non "B".

Experts please correct me if I am wrong.

I am aware of this method.  I was told by a Visa knowledgeable person.  That the difference is the Multi-Entry Non Imm B-Visa available in Penang is one that requires Exit and Reentry every 90 days to get another 90 day permission to stay... Working in the same fashion as a type of Multi Entry Non Imm 'O' Visa that used to be issued for without a particular requirement.  

And I think what you are describing is the 90 day single entry non Imm B that one Extends for a year at the local immigration office. ... working similar to a Non Imm O visa being Extended on a basis of Retirement for one year.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The work permit can be applied for with a tourist visa entry but it will not be issued until you have a non immigrant visa.

Thank you ubonjoe... I was thinking in the direction you just described ... However, I did not want to assume anything... This clarification makes it easy to plan a pathway..  

Krabi Ministry of Labor is very open for information. Just pay them a visit and explain your situation and the will tell you the exact route.

I just did the same with a friend, but his lawyer (from Phuket) had other thoughts because in Phuket it seems to work different.

Apply for the work permit before you are the owner of the company (at least on the papers), apply with tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

Take the company papers, work permit application, company tax papers, invitation letter from company with statement that you are allowed to apply for visa,

to Penang and you will get a 3 months Single Entry Non B. After return copy passports and visa pages to collect your work permit. If you have any questions

you can contact me.