Can scratches on my car be caused by car cleaning guys?

davidst01

35 minutes ago, catman20 said:

correct, you may be able to get the scratches out depending on how deep they are if you use a rubbing compound,or 1200 wet and dry paper and then compound the area. good luck,

My go to magic solution for dealing with scratches by hand is a using multiple microfiber towels, and a bottle of 3M Perfect-It (Perfect-It II Rubbing Compound 39002), its a less aggressive liquid rubbing compound (Fine cut). It has never failed to handle most normal scratches, that you wouldn't have a chance in HelI of removing with the normal swirl or scratch removers.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:03 PM, kartman said:

Well if the waxer dropped whatever they were using on the ground picking up grit etc then continued to use it after picking it up you get a scratched surface  .

This is what I fear even when they dry the car, so I keep it wet :-)

On 2/8/2017 at 0:03 AM, Pdaz said:

It's very possible. The cheaper wash and wax places are pretty rough and ready. Either used a grit filled wash cloth or fine scratches caused by the buffer.  Easy to do if buffer not used with care.  I wash my own car for this reason. 

Cheaper or not they all are the same Cambodian...

On 2/8/2017 at 0:33 AM, Gulfsailor said:

For the same reason I never was the car. The thick layer of sand and dirt protects the paint. I only spray the bottom and wheels after the car was on a salty beach. I can only imagine how nice the car still looks underneath all that built up grime :-)

This is what I am also thinking, especially for a German car which is nicer than 90% of the cars in Thailand, even dirty !

But for bird shiiite it doesn't work, need to clear it quickly.

On 2/8/2017 at 2:38 PM, JAS21 said:

Of course ... anyone washing or polishing a car car cause scratches and to various depths. Unless you know what you are doing don't just buy some scratch remover and give the scratches a rub. You really need an orbital polisher and a suitable compound.

However if in the last three years you have only ever washed the car and never put any protection onto the paintwork I'm a little surprised that there are not quite a few marks from bird poo, tree sap etc.

It wouldn't hurt to get it detailed. You would be amazed at the difference. And there are many choices for the finishing produce.... wax (various), paint sealants, polymers, glass etc etc

If you are around my way I can point you in the right direction ... if you are around JoeW's area go there.

ps ... don't use a sponge to wash it ... that will put scratches on the surface  

What is for you the best detailing place around Pattaya ?

Thanks.

Just now, abab said:

What is for you the best detailing place around Pattaya ?

Thanks.

its called gloss line or something like that its on the sukumvite on the left had side going from big c to pattaya klang. i had my car polished there 4,000 baht come up like new.

29 minutes ago, catman20 said:

its called gloss line or something like that its on the sukumvite on the left had side going from big c to pattaya klang. i had my car polished there 4,000 baht come up like new.

4000 is way over the top even for polishing.

Anyway my car is coated and doesn't need polishing, but just a very deep cleaning, as I almost never do it.

Maybe they can clean it for less than 4000 ?

You should have coated your car if you really care.

This was my old Mercedes Benz CLS I had detailed a year last October back in the UK, was a 9 years old motor at time of pics, you can see swirl marks from poor car washes etc in before pics then the difference after correction

I had a 2 stage Swissvax detail (car was in at detailers 2 days) cost at time was £450 GBP I then used to simply rinse off the car once a month and it was always Tip Top, I applied Collinite 915 wax after about 3 months (as recommended by the detailer) that was it, not bad for a 2006 Old banger...

The site explains all about detailing for anyone who don't know much about it, best money I ever spent on a car, was well worth it

http://www.finerdetails.co.uk/photo-gallery/mercedes-benz/cls_pd/

4,000 might be correct if the shop went through all the correct steps.

- Wash

- Clay bar

- Compound

- Polish

- Finish Polish

- Wax (synthetic)

Then 4,000 seems ok. However, if they just polished then scratched over 1,500 grit are still visible and then 4,000 baht is a bit over the top.

22 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Ok hijack time got a good few scratches not deep best way of getting them out. Don't mind a bit of hard work sweating ect any recommendations grateful. Color is silver bye the way.

Depends...rub with your finger nail over the scratch and see if it catches in the scratch.

If it does, even a compound is not going to get it out and then you have to sand the area of the scratch first.

If you don't mind them being still a tiny bit visible then you can just compound and polish them but they will not be gone 100%

If it doesn't then you can compound it out and then polish it to new. 

Most of the scratches on my prized ( and f****g expensive) pride and joy come from the obnoxious kids who insist on "playing" in the road (sadly not a thoroughfare) outside our house. Despite numerous bollockings from me, the current Mrs Dark Lord and even once their own parents it seems these brainless morons cannot retain a thought above five minutes and then return to their incessant shrill idiotic games of scratch the farang s car ( well maybe that's not the name of the game but it is for sure the result) 

naturally nobody knows anything thing about how the scratches got there

pretty soon nobody will know nothing about where the bullets came from ( they are shrieking like a sittania resident outside my window as I write this. )

2 hours ago, abab said:

Anyway my car is coated and doesn't need polishing, but just a very deep cleaning, as I almost never do it.

I don’t think 4000thb is out of the way for a good job … briefly the guy will have had to …

Wash the car

Dry it

Clay if necessary ... actually he has  a clay pad for his m/c, makes it very quick

Tape it up

Measure the thickness of the clear coat on each panel

Tape up a test area and determine what pad and what compound to use

Then polish each panel which could easily take 3-4 Hours.

Should he find a re-sprayed panel, it may even require wet sanding and that does take time.

On top of the actual time spent … products used. You need to factor in the expensive training and a variety of moderately expensive equipment.

Below is a picture of some of the equipment that my friend uses and he only does it as a hobby. He has detailed Lambo, Ferrari, Merc, Jag etc etc. He charges 4000thb whether it takes him half a day or a whole day. He is booked up for sometime as he only does Saturdays.

New_20160109_132357.jpg

Edited by JAS21

51 minutes ago, The Dark Lord said:

Most of the scratches on my prized ( and f****g expensive) pride and joy come from the obnoxious kids who insist on "playing" in the road (sadly not a thoroughfare) outside our house. Despite numerous bollockings from me, the current Mrs Dark Lord and even once their own parents it seems these brainless morons cannot retain a thought above five minutes and then return to their incessant shrill idiotic games of scratch the farang s car ( well maybe that's not the name of the game but it is for sure the result) 

naturally nobody knows anything thing about how the scratches got there

pretty soon nobody will know nothing about where the bullets came from ( they are shrieking like a sittania resident outside my window as I write this. )

Jesus grow up kids will be kids. So now your going to use a gun on them. Who's the kid? Will the current Mrs come visiting in the monkey house.

1 hour ago, JoeW said:

Depends...rub with your finger nail over the scratch and see if it catches in the scratch.

If it does, even a compound is not going to get it out and then you have to sand the area of the scratch first.

If you don't mind them being still a tiny bit visible then you can just compound and polish them but they will not be gone 100%

If it doesn't then you can compound it out and then polish it to new. 

I hope Joe won't mind me adding ... that if the paintwork has a considerable amount of Orange Peel ... eg a Ford ... if you remove the orange peel, while removing the deep scratch, then the panel will look different from the rest.

Of course you could then remove the Orange Peel from all the other panels to match up and really make it shine! Orange Peel is a protector of sorts ... 

A 'kin cat tried to 'board' my bonnet via the wing and failed ...  we just lightly compounded the worst out and you have to look hard to see what's left of the scratch now. Maybe the glass coating reduced the level of damage.

Edited by JAS21

9 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

I hope Joe won't mind me adding ... that if the paintwork has a considerable amount of Orange Peel ... eg a Ford ... if you remove the orange peel, while removing the deep scratch, then the panel will look different from the rest.

Of course you could then remove the Orange Peel from all the other panels to match up and really make it shine! Orange Peel is a protector of sorts ... 

A 'kin cat tried to 'board' my bonnet via the wing and failed ...  we just lightly compounded the worst out and you have to look hard to see what's left of the scratch now. Maybe the glass coating reduced the level of damage.

You're absolutely correct. Once you start with sanding panels, in the end those will look better than others. The new civic has almost no orange peel whatsoever, but new Mazda 3s and Fords have very bad orange peel. I am sure the glass coating protected against them, as they are meant to reduce damage.

FYI, I got my phone back so you can contact me again. I think my other phone is in Cambodia by now (if you know what I mean...)

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

Scratches aren't deep more discolouration maybe due to sugar cane being loaded on hard to describe.

Well in that case, it's worth to compound and polish. Go to a shop nearby that does it or I can recommend a few in Bangkok, or Isaan.

Anything other than a white paint car you are going to notice the marks even if the wax job is being done in the States etc..  That is why if allowing a business to do it they advertise it is done by Hand.

Here in Thailand, aside from myself I've never seen a Hand wax job. They are usually done by a cheap buffer one can buy at Home-pro?  Majority of wax contain some rubbing compound you check by placing some on a spot and if it rubs out the mark, there you have it. Although in general everyone can wash and wax their own car one really has to know a bit more to do it right especially if you use a buffer.  Lucky, I was in body and fender trade school for a year and found out just a bit of regular wax and a buffer if not applied with the proper pressure you got the marks. And if you are talking Thailand 99.9 in a regular wash that is your answer along with the dirty rags.

Go to a place like Lotus car section and look at the prices, if you want a import wax it would cost you a arm and a leg. So you think they are going to use a imported wax and charge you 500 baht?  The Thai wax you get mine as well not put any at all?

A dropped ( and now gritty) wax applicator or polishing rag surely will do it or a worn out wash brush or even not enough water pressure in a really dirty car.  Any or all of the above are common in the cheap places.    Always try to watch them work, even from in the distance with a coffee in your hand.  Only use a good detailer or do it yourself

14 hours ago, abab said:

yes 4000 baht is expensive but it was not a standard polish they worked on it for about 4 hours with mops and many different compounds. how much is it to have your car coated 25,000 ????????????

3 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

Any around kk

4Dwash near Lad Prao do a good job at compounding / polishing. No glass coating services, but the owner is good at what he does.

You can look them up on facebook

Sure...

There were car wash guys in Saudi who would clean your car while you were doing your supermarket shopping. They used very little water and of course sand is everywhere. On close inspection you could see that the paint was getting damaged.... fortunately company vehicles.

On 2/8/2017 at 10:19 AM, giddyup said:

One of the girls at the car wash I go to has an arm full of jangly bracelets, I'm surprised the boss doesn't tell her to take them off.

were there before , had a dirty car and were there for some time . 

On 2/9/2017 at 7:21 PM, JAS21 said:

I don’t think 4000thb is out of the way for a good job … briefly the guy will have had to …

Wash the car

Dry it

Clay if necessary ... actually he has  a clay pad for his m/c, makes it very quick

Tape it up

Measure the thickness of the clear coat on each panel

Tape up a test area and determine what pad and what compound to use

Then polish each panel which could easily take 3-4 Hours.

Should he find a re-sprayed panel, it may even require wet sanding and that does take time.

On top of the actual time spent … products used. You need to factor in the expensive training and a variety of moderately expensive equipment.

Below is a picture of some of the equipment that my friend uses and he only does it as a hobby. He has detailed Lambo, Ferrari, Merc, Jag etc etc. He charges 4000thb whether it takes him half a day or a whole day. He is booked up for sometime as he only does Saturdays.

New_20160109_132357.jpg

Hello,

Can you PM me your friend email or other details to contact him ?

It's not urgent but I want to be on his list when he has time.

Thanks.

• 2 months later...