Thai trains - price rise in March

sandyf

We went to Chonburi station yesterday to get some tickets up to Udon Thani mid March.

The guy said hold on a minute there was a price rise in the pipeline and went off to phone Bangkok. He came back and said there would be new prices from the first of March but they were not on the computer yet so we would pay the current fares.

Just a heads up.

On 2/10/2017 at 6:02 AM, wump said:

Who cares? The price of train travel is so incredibly cheap in Thailand... they could charge double and it still would only be a matter of a few Baht.

It is all relative, if they charged double it would be cheaper to fly.

On 2/11/2017 at 2:33 PM, sandyf said:

It is all relative, if they charged double it would be cheaper to fly.

A 6-hour journey from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet is 48 Baht. Do you think you could fly for 96 Baht when the airport tax alone is 100 Baht in most places?

11 hours ago, wump said:

A 6-hour journey from Bangkok to Aranyaprathet is 48 Baht. Do you think you could fly for 96 Baht when the airport tax alone is 100 Baht in most places?

nobody with a minimum of self respect would endure on a 16 hours journey to CM on a wooden bench with no aircon, isn't it ?

A decent 1st class overnight ticket indeed is more expensive than flying nowadays, though admittedly one can save cost for one night at a hotel

On 2/13/2017 at 0:31 PM, swissmaninthailand said:

How much second class lower bed, air con? Udon to bkk.

At the moment I think it is 778, I booked the first class which was 1317 based on 2 people, upper bunk is 1117. Single occupancy has a 500 baht supplement making it 1817.

9 hours ago, damo said:

Trains are for backpackers and Russians. You'd be doing it hard to choose rail over air when your up for a distance/time for a trip say BKK - CM.

That depends on how you view the time. Trains to the north leave in the evening and arrive early the following morning, very little loss of 'day' time.

Its each to his own, I won't do it now unless I get first class. The last time I went second class, that was to CM, there was a bunch of backpackers nearby and they were noisy most of the night. In first class there is little in the way of disturbance and before you know it they are knocking on the door to put the bed away.

12 hours ago, siam2007 said:

nobody with a minimum of self respect would endure on a 16 hours journey to CM on a wooden bench with no aircon, isn't it ?

No problems mate , bring a pillow and an ipad , get entertained and time is flying , before you know it you're in CM.  I've done the trip several times . I hate night trains so only day train for me.  And its not 16 hours but 12. 

Edited by balo

On 2/13/2017 at 8:59 PM, al007 said:

Slightly off topic but I understand there is a new overnight train from Bangkok to NongKai, run by the Chinese cost around 600batt 

Does anyone have any information

I got the sleeper about a month ago; I don't know if the Chinese ran it but all staff were Thai that I saw. It was due to leave BKK at 8 pm but didn't set off till midnight. Price was 1500 or thereabouts for 2 tickets. 3 night trains per evening I think.No booze on board, food was microwaved and awful. Coach and bed were fairly comfy but sleep was fitful. Had 2 nights in Vientiane and got a night bus back from NongKai direct to Pattaya. Left at 5.30 in the evening and arrived 6 in the morning on Sukhumvit opposite Klang in Pattaya. Slept fitfully on this too. Bus was about half of the price of the train.Falang pays about 80 Baht more on the train than Thais. The bus went around BKK,  not into it. Bus fare included a 30 minute stop for food - poor quality - at a bus station somewhere I've not heard of before. Another option would be plane Don Muang to Udon Thani, then bus to NongKai. I guess this is pricier.

Edited by champers