Budget accommodation in Phnom Penh

stephen tracy

It would help to know what you mean by "cheap", what part of the city you want to be in, and how long you will be staying (if a month or longer, might consider renting a furnished apartment, less expensive than hotel or guest house).

There are plenty of three star hotels in Phnom Penh in the $17-$24 a night range, and occasionally you can get a more upscale place at that rate through special offers on various booking web sites. They will have a/c, hot water, usually cable TV and often a refrigerator, and cleanliness is not usually an issue.

To get much below $17/night in a hotel you'd have to look at places outside the city center and then what it may cost you in transportation may more than offset the savings - but again, depends on where in the city you need to be.

Guesthouses if you are willing to forego a/c and hot water, can find for under $10/night; with at least a/c, can get at $10-$12/night.

I suggest you go to  www.agoda.com, type in your dates and select price filter with your maximum amount.

If you are planning to stay a month or more then it is worthwhile renting a furnished apartment.  In central area you can get one for $300 plus utilities, further out, as low as $175.

5 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It would help to know what you mean by "cheap", what part of the city you want to be in, and how long you will be staying (if a month or longer, might consider renting a furnished apartment, less expensive than hotel or guest house).

There are plenty of three star hotels in Phnom Penh in the $17-$24 a night range, and occasionally you can get a more upscale place at that rate through special offers on various booking web sites. They will have a/c, hot water, usually cable TV and often a refrigerator, and cleanliness is not usually an issue.

To get much below $17/night in a hotel you'd have to look at places outside the city center and then what it may cost you in transportation may more than offset the savings - but again, depends on where in the city you need to be.

Guesthouses if you are willing to forego a/c and hot water, can find for under $10/night; with at least a/c, can get at $10-$12/night.

I suggest you go to  www.agoda.com, type in your dates and select price filter with your maximum amount.

If you are planning to stay a month or more then it is worthwhile renting a furnished apartment.  In central area you can get one for $300 plus utilities, further out, as low as $175.

Hi Sheryl, thanks very much.  I'm looking to stay at the cheapest place possible but inside town. I don't care how grim it looks/is, I just have to meet someone there.  I was planning to book from 14th from Thailand and fly back on 19th.  wadddaya think?

"inside town" is still a large area and traffic can be bad. You need to consuider where in town you need to be.

Also need to consider if you are OK to have no a/c and no hot water, as the "cheapest place possible" would be a guesthouse with neither.

Again, go to  Agoda. Put in your maximum amount, having first decided re the a/c and hot water, and put in the part of town you need.

Be warned that the cheaper guesthouses have some pretty scuzzy foreigners staying there (drug addicts and the like) and you need to be careful security-wise (theft). The guesthouse managers/staff will not steal from you, but in  rock bottom price guesthouses, the t other guests well may.

Thanks Sheryl, my friend is sating somewhere he says is called Riverside, but it's a big high-end hotel cause his company is paying.  So I was hoping to get some budget place nearby.  Even if it's full of dodgy foreigners, I wont worry as I will keep everything with me at all times.

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived