Thais condemned as "fifth worst" polluters of the sea on the planet

webfact

1 hour ago, ezrider62 said:

I remember seeing a beach in Chonburi like the picture above. I can't imagine how many sea creatures are hurt by all this plastic.

I'll bet that beach was Bang Saen. Am I right? Filthy, filthy place at times especially after the weekend crowd leaves.

Actually it was Baan Ampur just south of Jomtien.

I went there at New Year and it wasn't too bad this time. People picnic and barbecue on the beach leaving all their trash behind when they have finished.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And why should we care? In a few years we go on Mars anyway. Who cares if elefant and whales die. In 4 millions years sun will be dead. So tell me, why should we care if we burn forests and destroy seas. As long I can buy a new iPhone every 6 months and have a big TV and a big house, I don't give a toss.

24 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I didn't say it was "intelligent to pollute the world", I said it is disingenuous to attempt to link a lack of intelligence to pollution, as is quite clear when you consider the clearly intelligent CEO's the world over who order their firms to pollute, not out of lack of intelligence, but actually out of greed.

IMO that doesn´t make them intelligent, because at the same time they pollute the world for other , they also do it to themselfs. How can it be possible to call people like that for being intelligent. Have you lost your mind somewhere?

5 minutes ago, Get Real said:

IMO that doesn´t make them intelligent, because at the same time they pollute the world for other , they also do it to themselfs. How can it be possible to call people like that for being intelligent. Have you lost your mind somewhere?

No, I have not.  Do you think that everyone who pollutes does not know that they are polluting?  They just don't care, that is not a lack of intelligence, that is a lack of morals.

The country is a joke and I'm stuck in it with a lovely wife that I wish we could get out of but she's not welcome in many countries without jumping through many visa hoops.all we want is a decent and stable country that we can settled down in and make some sort of living.we ain't skint but the whole worlds a fiiiking mess with politics and radicalists.im not wanting utopia but the whole planet it a shit tip.

1 hour ago, Shawn0000 said:

I didn't say it was "intelligent to pollute the world", I said it is disingenuous to attempt to link a lack of intelligence to pollution, as is quite clear when you consider the clearly intelligent CEO's the world over who order their firms to pollute, not out of lack of intelligence, but actually out of greed.

And the winner is!!! BOTH of you. 

1 hour ago, pattayalover said:

And why should we care? In a few years we go on Mars anyway. Who cares if elefant and whales die. In 4 millions years sun will be dead. So tell me, why should we care if we burn forests and destroy seas. As long I can buy a new iPhone every 6 months and have a big TV and a big house, I don't give a toss.

Is this the part where we say "Your kidding aren't you???"

5 hours ago, quadperfect said:

Thats great india has taken the lead.

I guess me trying to read the little plastics floating by is not very scientific.

So if thailand is 5 i hope they listen and get schooled 

You will realise in time that Thailand never listens to anyone. They know everything. As for schooling - don't get me started!

56 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

No, I have not.  Do you think that everyone who pollutes does not know that they are polluting?  They just don't care, that is not a lack of intelligence, that is a lack of morals.

So if you are an intelligent person you don´t care and think it´s okey to pollute and at the same time not care about it. Have you gone to school? Do you really know what intelligent means. A modern person in the real intelligent world would know that what you say is wrong. Any intelligent person today that says that polluting the world more doesn´t lead to disaster is just plainly wrong. No need to say more. End of story.

Comes as no surprise...And it's not only the sea they pollute, it's also their land areas...Look at the road sides and in the villages. Piles of garbage and plastic, food scraps. And the piles keep getting bigger, while trash trucks just roll on by.

6 minutes ago, Get Real said:

So if you are an intelligent person you don´t care and think it´s okey to pollute and at the same time not care about it. Have you gone to school? Do you really know what intelligent means. A modern person in the real intelligent world would know that what you say is wrong. Any intelligent person today that says that polluting the world more doesn´t lead to disaster is just plainly wrong. No need to say more. End of story.

I can see from your post you are having trouble interpreting what I say, it is not me who is lacking in intelligence, by the way.  There was nothing wrong in what I have said, all factually correct.  Do you really think the CEO's of industrial chemical factories polluting the local river are not intelligent?  Of course they are, they just choose money over a poor local neighborhoods present well being and the wider populations future safety.  You really should stop making excuses for people.  I never said that an intelligent person would not say that polluting does not lead to disaster, I said that not everyone who is intelligent, and therefor aware of the consequence, cares, that is a fact. 

7 hours ago, quadperfect said:

My personal view on this and i sail between thailand ,malaysia and indonesia west coasts on a regular basis is there is no way you can know where this plastic is comming from.

It could be malaysian,indonesian and thai but it could also be a cumulative from all asia.

Its a asia problem not just thailand.

I have seen 20 mile stretches of plastic  just like these pictures on the west coast of java. And sumatra.

Phuket i have seen a few hundred meters of it before but nothing like indo.

Rice bags are often fouling my propeller off phuket.hundreds of them out there.

Its time for a give a hoot dont polute campaign in asia.all asia not just thailand.

Thailand phuket west coast seems much less poluted to me than all malaysia and indonesia so maybe those are 2 and 3 

india is 1 for sure. 

We all know india is a hell hole and a lot of there crap works its way around the world. 

I am talking west coast. I have no idea about the gulf situation.but those pictures look pretty familiar.

I could swear i passed that patch last year in indo.

Are you a long-tail skipper?

22 minutes ago, Get Real said:

It is welcoming news that you have chosen not to say more.

Two years ago me and my best mate went for a cruise in the national park next to Ko Samui/Tao/Phangan.

My mate threw out of the boat a banana we got from the crew. Because it was rotten.

The "boss" of the cruise went nuts calling my mate out, that he will get him to police, etc, absolutely ridiculous. Should have he throw it out? Maybe not, but it's still <deleted> fruit from nature.

After we visited an island there were two coca-cola bottles next to the pier, not close enough to reach by hand by well enough to reach by the paddles this idiot (and other crew members) had in his hands. Do you think he took it out? Of course not!

this plastic problem is not just a Thailand issue. They do need to spend more in garbage collection and disposal.  but that is a real cost and not so easy to do.  does each island need to solve this issue or barge it to a facility?

I guess the profit being made by all the hotels and tourist industry doesn't pay enough to mitigate the trash issue and the average Thai not worried about this.

Its almost like a bad timing issue.  Thailand is now so busy, both man and wife working hard to catch the materialistic dream show on media. No time to worry about trash.   I was always amazed at all the food stands and no trash cans or if there was one it was overflowing.

17 minutes ago, Shawn0000 said:

I can see from your post you are having trouble interpreting what I say, it is not me who is lacking in intelligence, by the way.  There was nothing wrong in what I have said, all factually correct.  Do you really think the CEO's of industrial chemical factories polluting the local river are not intelligent?  Of course they are, they just choose money over a poor local neighborhoods present well being and the wider populations future safety.  You really should stop making excuses for people.  I never said that an intelligent person would not say that polluting does not lead to disaster, I said that not everyone who is intelligent, and therefor aware of the consequence, cares, that is a fact. 

But you are still not understanding. Maybe you are a bifg chief polluting from a big compny, what do I know. Just stop saying that a person polluting the planet is intelligent. You are way out of line! If you don´t understand that, go back to school! End of conversation!

7 minutes ago, Get Real said:

But you are still not understanding. Maybe you are a bifg chief polluting from a big compny, what do I know. Just stop saying that a person polluting the planet is intelligent. You are way out of line! If you don´t understand that, go back to school! End of conversation!

Stop making excuses for people and I will stop pointing out that you are making excuses for them.

Some of the island like Koh Chang years ago hired companies to remove trash. The would take it out to sea and dump it. Sometimes the boat pilots wanted to save diesel and wouldn't go far enough out and by the next day the trash was on Koh Chang's beach. I don't know if that is still happening but it wouldn't surprise me . 

25 minutes ago, Colabamumbai said:

Saw a local taking a shit in the water on Beach Road, Pattaya this past week does that count as pollution?

quite often see the locals using the pavement as a toilet, for number 1s and number 2s,  in my area despite there being two pubic toilet nearby. none of then other locals seems to care enough to do anything about it.

19 hours ago, FunkyDunky58 said:

I live on the beach and its heartbreaking to see the filth left behind the Thai people. They order food and drink and just leave whatever containers were used where they sat. I'm not saying that tourists are innocent but I would suggest that most have been raised to respect the environment and look for a bin. Aaah - theres a problem. Often nowhere to be found because the local council would actually have to work and empty them.

If I can't find a bin at least I have the common courtesy to bag up the trash and chuck it into the sea. I am not sure what is wrong with some people?

5 hours ago, samsensam said:

quite often see the locals using the pavement as a toilet, for number 1s and number 2s,  in my area despite there being two pubic toilet nearby. none of then other locals seems to care enough to do anything about it.

Where do you live?  I have never seen someone take a dump on the pavement.  Let me guess, you live on Beach Road, Pattaya, right?

Archived