Monkey spotted on Doi Suthep

CNXBKKMAN

At 17:00 today I was walking down the pilgrims trail on Doi Suthep mountain. I had only been going down for about 10 mins and I heard a crashing of leaves and branches. I looked over expecting to see squirrels rushing about but I clearly saw a single monkey darting off and out of sight. It was a pleasant surprise but I guessed it must be somebodies unwanted pet or it had escaped from the zoo/ night safari.

Before I posted this I did a quick Google and one website http://www.summitpost.org/doi-pui-doi-suthep/692724 says macaques are common and there gibbons up there?!? This is all news to me. Until today I have never heard of an monkeys on Doi Suthep or anyone seeing any. 

Lots of monkeys in Thailand , both in the forest and out. Not so unusual. Give them a habitat and they come.

A whole bunch of them just up the road from Wichien Buri. They could go deeper into the forests but wherever humans are they find easier pickings

I hiked Doi Suthep a bunch and never saw one, but it doesn't surprise me.  There are macaques around the Mae On Temple, which isn't exactly nearby, but in the grand scheme of things, the geography is quite similar.  

There are snakes up there also. (Suthep)

18 hours ago, Denim said:

Lots of monkeys in Thailand , both in the forest and out. Not so unusual. Give them a habitat and they come.

A whole bunch of them just up the road from Wichien Buri. They could go deeper into the forests but wherever humans are they find easier pickings

In the North extremely unusual, they were mostly eaten out by the locals in times gone by. Flight of the Gibbon only has Gibbons because they reintroduced them to the area when they set up shop for example.

32 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

In the North extremely unusual, they were mostly eaten out by the locals in times gone by. Flight of the Gibbon only has Gibbons because they reintroduced them to the area when they set up shop for example.

Back in about 97 I was walking on the trail above Doi Suthep and heard crashing about in the trees. I mentioned this to a western femaile volunteer at the park headquarters and she told me they had tied reintroducing about 6-10 monkeys not sure which species  . She said they didn't go far from the headquarters and the locals working there had killed most of them for fear they would attack their children.

On 2/10/2017 at 4:53 PM, lordblackader said:

Not completely  true. In Mae on area close to the cave there are lots of monkeys.

Scared the shit out of me last time and stopped me from going up the stairs to the cave.

You can see and hear them very loudly jumping on the roofs of the small shops selling food.

• 2 weeks later...

I hiked the Pilgims trail again yesterday and took my binoculars with me. About two minutes down the trail (from the hairpin corner where the trail starts near Suthep Temple) I saw three monkeys. They were making a bit of noise and got a short but good view of one large macaque monkey. I met another hiker further down who said she saw them at the same spot.

Wih this area being so close to the temple perhaps the monks are putting out food and water for them? Maybe the temple is involved in the monkeys being there. Another attraction for this tourist temple? 

Archived