Dash cam is very helpful to police

rooster59

Dash cam is very helpful to police

12_Dash-Cam.jpg

Dash cam is a new technology that is very helpful to police both in tracking criminals and in reducing traffic case disputes in court.

Traffic violators will give in to video footages on the camera and settle their disputes by agreeing to pay traffic fines without contending who is right or wrong as evidence shown in the video caught by the camera are clear evidences.

With such advantages, the police are now encouraging motorists to equip them in their vehicles, and city administration also is urging the insurance firm to lower insurance premium for cars mounted with such device.

Police said dash cam could help solve up to 40% of traffic disputes.

Pol Maj Manit Chanprasit, deputy inspector for traffic at the Vibhavadi-Expressway Traffic Control Centre, said dash cam is vital to addressing cause of traffic accident.

In case of accident, and a motorist has car camera mounted in his vehicle, the police could then use the video in the camera as part of evidence for court trial.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/dash-cam-helpful-police/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-11

If I was the victim of bad driving/ riding I wouldn't let them anywhere near it until I had a back up copy, as mentioned by a previous poster. I think the first thing I would do if I ad an accident (after checking everybody was okay) would be to quickly take the dash cam down and put it in the glove box.

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

That reminds me, the car has one, I see it working as I drive, I really must find out how to retrieve the information if I have an accident. No good asking the owner or the part time driver, they don't know either!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Good idea, you don't want to be messing around with the buttons and accidently deleting the file you're looking for   :shock1:

26 minutes ago, Dodgydownunder said:

If I was the victim of bad driving/ riding I wouldn't let them anywhere near it until I had a back up copy, as mentioned by a previous poster. I think the first thing I would do if I ad an accident (after checking everybody was okay) would be to quickly take the dash cam down and put it in the glove box.

Another good idea, You can also quietly take out the memory card so there would be no problem if the police "impound " the camera. Just remember not to do what another poster did and removed the card to quickly, before last file has been saved or your 'evidence' will be lost.

Could also be useful if the evidence on the camera might be against you :whistling:

Edited by Daffy D
Spelling :(

New technology works both way and we are seeing examples every day.  

Masked RTP highwaymen demanding pumpkins to make soup for their missus! It doesn't  get any better than that. And he is on cam seen doing it. How dumb is that?

Now thanks to the same technology the victims of RTP extortion are able to expose the devious means the RTP use to extract money. The RTP are so dense they haven't figured that out yet. 

35 minutes ago, Brer Fox said:

New technology works both way and we are seeing examples every day.  

Masked RTP highwaymen demanding pumpkins to make soup for their missus! It doesn't  get any better than that. And he is on cam seen doing it. How dumb is that?

Now thanks to the same technology the victims of RTP extortion are able to expose the devious means the RTP use to extract money. The RTP are so dense they haven't figured that out yet. 

RTP extorting money, never - that could never happen, could it?

14 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

Good advice this. Best to power down the dash cam normally. The other trick is to give the cam a light tap since most are programmed by default to record individual files in another folder each time a certain amount of G's are exceeded. Usually the last 3 min of footage is quarantined in its own folder. The other advice is to check it actually records the reliability of sd cards and the dash cams is poor. Top dollar doesn't always guarantee the cam will last forever. 

An android phone (>v3) with a OTG cable and memory card reader can back up an entire sd card (32g) in 10 min on the spot if the cops demand it be passed over at the time of the accident, maybe not practical but can be done. 

We make some of own luck, for the last couple of years I have had a dash cam, and when ever I am stopped by the time the policeman is at the window, it is facing him, I smile and say you are on camera

Never once have I been asked for money, before was always being asked

A week ago I was in a hurry ( outside lane and going as fast as it would go!) and had no seat belt on and was flagged down, the policeman asked was my camera working , he smiled and told me to proceed, however before leaving I gave him 100batt, he was very happy so was I, this was not a bribe but a thank you tip !!

16 hours ago, Dodgydownunder said:

I have a spare SD card in the car allowing me to switch if need be although its true purpose is a backup re card failure or genuine accident.

Newer models can be instantly uploaded to the cloud or smartphone.

Why is this news now? Dashcams have been around for at least 7 years!

Edited by evadgib

Don't do what I did when I had an accident!, A motorcycle hit me me at high speed and was surrounded by Thai's and was confident I did no wrong as I had a dash cam, I had to leave the truck to go the police station whilst both vehicles were towed away, I took out the memory from the dash cam but because the ignition had not been switched off it did not save the last segment with the accident on! Caused me a right nightmare!

10 minutes ago, 007cableguy said:

Don't do what I did when I had an accident!, A motorcycle hit me me at high speed and was surrounded by Thai's and was confident I did no wrong as I had a dash cam, I had to leave the truck to go the police station whilst both vehicles were towed away, I took out the memory from the dash cam but because the ignition had not been switched off it did not save the last segment with the accident on! Caused me a right nightmare!

Absolutely awful, it could also have been me, sharing such as this helps us all so much

Hope the final outcome was not too bad for you

19 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Dash cam is a new technology that is very helpful to police both in tracking criminals and in reducing traffic case disputes in court.

Here is what I expect: consideration using and maintaining this "new technology" in police custody will now be discussed in a new super power committee, and three sub-committees before seeking approval from the top brass and the interior Ministry. A decision is expected in 2018/2019/or 2020...

Hello All,

I checked my dash cam yesterday and found it had not been recording for 2 weeks or more. It is recording now, however, the time and date keeps resetting to 2012.

My question is that should I be involved in an accident, could the recording be invalid as time and date are clearly out of whack?

Thanks.

Edited by james.d

21 hours ago, Artisi said:

Of course if you don't have the right connections the dash cam and clip could  be inadmissible. 

Personal experience or just opinion? My recording made things much easier, along with the fact the other scooter drive had no license.

3 hours ago, james.d said:

Hello All,

I checked my dash cam yesterday and found it had not been recording for 2 weeks or more. It is recording now, however, the time and date keeps resetting to 2012.

My question is that should I be involved in an accident, could the recording be invalid as time and date are clearly out of whack?

Thanks.

Up to the police and judge I imagine. TVF will get you all sorts of nonsense replies.

4 hours ago, al007 said:

Absolutely awful, it could also have been me, sharing such as this helps us all so much

Hope the final outcome was not too bad for you

Sorry for your situation. My dash cam keeps recording some time after the ignition is turned off and saves the recording in doing so.

Is it possible that dash cams are such a benefit to police because the police are inept to use motion and force and cone to their own conclusion as to who is actually at fault. This is not an old science to police around the world. Why the police are not trained in this is beyond me. Simple logic dictates who is at fault 90% of the time.

Unless the quality matches CCTV footage lol

Now to the next headline "Turns out dash cams aren't just useful but unbiased as well!"

I just recently, about 3 weeks now, installed one into the car. Did my usual round, took it with me to check the results and have been rather happy with it. I did google prior about the card size and would imagine a 64gb would be a safe bet, seeing as online results were stating about 1 hour of footage recording. My SD card had to be mini and the only one I had handy was a 32gb, which would've been about ~35min footage or so. Turned out it recorded my entire route of some 1.5h (with stops) and still had some 70% free space on the card left, so that was a nice surprise I guess. Quite happy with what I saw as well, although I could reconize jack in dash cam taking a glance, getting the footage to the computer and viewing it there certainly was a peace of mind maker to know what I'm actually getting. Audio quality was good as well, though I optd to turn that off....music aside, I'd worry more about getting in trouble for cussing and yelling every 2 seconds haha

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

Personal experience or just opinion? My recording made things much easier, along with the fact the other scooter drive had no license.

Without the camera back up I think you would have come out on the loosing end. Seeing as how I do not have a car maybe a shoulder cam would be in order. I would hate to be surrounded by 4 or 5 young hot blooded youths and then have them charge me with assault. Well back to Marvel Heroes. 

Edited by elgordo38

17 hours ago, tonywillo said:

Good advice this. Best to power down the dash cam normally. The other trick is to give the cam a light tap since most are programmed by default to record individual files in another folder each time a certain amount of G's are exceeded. Usually the last 3 min of footage is quarantined in its own folder. The other advice is to check it actually records the reliability of sd cards and the dash cams is poor. Top dollar doesn't always guarantee the cam will last forever. 

An android phone (>v3) with a OTG cable and memory card reader can back up an entire sd card (32g) in 10 min on the spot if the cops demand it be passed over at the time of the accident, maybe not practical but can be done. 

thats  if  the  g  sensor  is  on

Another point worth mentioning is be sure your cam clips have a slight overlap.

Dash Cam footage should not be all one long movie file. Within the set up you should have the option to set the recording clips to various lengths, usually something between 1min - 5min. I have mine set to 3min.

Each clip should be date/time stamped to make it easy finding a particular clip of an incident. Having the whole card filled with just one file of several hours of your journey will make it hard to locate a particular event you may want to check.

It is worth checking that your clips have a slight overlap between files. This means that the next clip starts a few moments before the last clip ends so that you don't miss any action should an accident happen at the precise moment between one clip ending and the next clip starting.

All this and much more has been covered in various previous posts, but since the new site upgrade don't know if they are still available through a search.

:smile: