Qatar Games

raslin

I am completely confused as usual. I thought the ASEAN games were taking place in Doha even though Qatar is not in South East Asia.

Last night I was inflicted with tennis on TV instead instead of Bau Boon Jiin.

According to the signs around the tennis court this was the 15th ASIAN games. No sign of entrants from the Russias, India, Pakistan, China etc.

Anybody know what these games really are or has there been a major change in geography that I missed?

Edited by raslin

The games you saw last night are the ASIAN games and not the ASEAN games. There are teams from Iran, Iraq,Arab countries like Saudi Arabia,Qatar,Kuwait,UAE among other arab states. There are teams from China who by the way is leading in the medals count, India and every other Asian country including Japan and Korea. I am not sure if the CIS countries (Russia) is represented because they seem to refer to themselves as European rather than Asian.

Russia is now considered as part of Europe but Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan, Mongolia and Turkmenistan are all competing.

China are leading the medal table with 287 medals, India have 51 medals, Pakistan - 3, Bangladesh - 1 and Sri Lanka - 3. Thailand are fifth in the table with 52. No Thai cycling medals yet.

http://www.doha-2006.com/

Thai TV will naturally concentrate on events where nationals are competing as your home country does for the Olympics.

There has been no shift in geography - as far as I know.