Kawasaki KLX 150 - 2 stroke conversion

mikemanners

Dear 2 stroke fans, a few weeks ago I bought a KLX 150 for a fair price. I stripped down the frame and removed all the plastic parts, chopped up the rear end of the bike to make it more compact for BKK traffic. 
I'm missing the 2 stroke power from smaller bikes I've had when I was a teenager. There are still plenty of 2 strokes around in TH and I'm wondering which of the Kawasaki 2 stroke engines would fit best to swap out the engine.

I could potentially import a KX 125 engine, but getting parts will be a huge pain if something breaks. So I'd rather take something that's readily available locally.
I've been researching a bit and found:

* Victor 150 (liquid cooled)
* KR 150 (liquid cooled)

* Serpico 150 (liquid cooled) 

* GTO (air cooled)
* Leostar 120 (air cooled)

This is my first Kawa, and the first time I want to swap an engine. Grateful for any suggestions and pointers.

6 hours ago, papa al said:

If you might consider a marriage outside the family,

the Yamaha RXZ 135cc 2T is an economical & reliable air-cooled choice.

Just looked them up on Kaidee - they are like half the price vs. some of the ones I've listed. I'm not opposed at all to get an engine from any brand actually. Important is fit (of the engine) and a reasonable amount of power that I can get out of an engine. For all I care, this bike can suck more fuel than a Russian tank. If I were an economically responsible person, I'd buy a brand new 300cc machine - as this one will end up costing more than that when all is said and done. It's a pure fun bike that I use for about 20 minutes a day. 

One possible problem is alignment between the crank sprocket and the rear wheel sprocket. Can your donor engine be moved over enough to allow the chain a straight path without rubbing on the frame, or swingarm. And if the distance from crank sprocket centreline to swingarm pivot is too great, keeping chain tension may require an auxiliary tensioner.

I have 14" wheels on it, I think some of the D-Trackers were shipped with them. Chain is rubbing on the swingarm when I'm not sitting on it and then again when riding pillion. There was an auxiliary tensioner as highlighted in one of the images. Not sure if it was original as it was just a bolt with a brass tube on it. No bearings or anything I'd expect from such a thing.

I'll keep you posted for sure if you're interested in where I take the project. Still a bunch of work to do. Need to get myself a TIG welder, some power tools and a place where I can tear that thing apart as I'm living in a high rise condo in central BKK for now.

IMG_5096.JPG

IMG_5099.JPG

IMG_5098.JPG

IMG_5095.JPG

IMG_5097.JPG

IMG_5096.JPG