Believing information on social media has dangers, says Thai PM

webfact

What? Internet is not a reliable source of information?

No it's not. Just take TV for example the misinformation highway of South East Asia.. Possibly even in the universe. The amount of BS spread is mind boggling

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, mcfish said:

No it's not. Just take TV for example the misinformation highway of South East Asia.. Possibly even in the universe. The amount of BS spread is mind boggling

You just missed it. My comments were all about sarcasm. LOL

Maybe he is referring to some posters in this forum with names like KohChangExpat  pretending to have lived in Thailand for 15 years knowing it all but in reality stuck in a trailerpark somewhere in the USA never been abroad not even able to find the location of Thailand on a map.The Pm does have a valid point.

in LA I had a neighbor who fixes popcorn machines as his full time business.. he would always tell me how in the 80's everyone thought cassettes would end the movie business.

in LA.. in spite of movie cassettes... which is now a lot of other options... movie theatres... and book stores with coffee shops... still do a great business. yeah, and there's.... Hollywood.... not just Westwood... but...

if your only information is what you see and hear in "real life"...which is quite limited... plus television or the internet... that is indeed quite dangerous.

at least with a book that is printed on paper.... and owned and protected by and for a known publisher... by strong IP rights... where lots of everyday folks enjoy reading and sharing socially the discussions that follow.... a wide variety of books and journals.... a school system and society that vociferously punishes plagiarism.....  oh boy, did I forget where I am..... oh boy!!!!!!!!!!!

book reading can be stamped out.... by all kinds of narratives about how it is boring or useless or too expensive for poor people... everybody reading the same book is silly.... etc.. but not the internet, eh?  NOW it is a problem. right.

Edited by maewang99

8 hours ago, webfact said:

– Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has asked the public to be careful when consuming information on social media, saying that believing distorted information has negative consequences. 

Truth is in the eyes of the beholder. Distorted information again in the eyes of the beholder. Quote

believing distorted information has negative consequences. unquote hmm sounds like a veiled threat to me. 

Maybe he is referring to some posters in this forum with names like KohChangExpat  pretending to have lived in Thailand for 15 years knowing it all but in reality stuck in a trailerpark somewhere in the USA never been abroad not even able to find the location of Thailand on a map.The Pm does have a valid point.

There has to be a high portion of poster's living OS. I refuse to believe that hard core bashers and rumor mongers could be so bitter and continue to reside here

22 minutes ago, mcfish said:

There has to be a high portion of poster's living OS. I refuse to believe that hard core bashers and rumor mongers could be so bitter and continue to reside here

SOS Residing and thriving from what I can see. Believe it. With the new world order bashing and mashing seeming to be the order of the day no matter if your a poster here on TV or the president or head of a country. Us (myself included at times) are not tooo old to follow the old monkey see monkey do routine. 

7 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

SOS Residing and thriving from what I can see. Believe it. With the new world order bashing and mashing seeming to be the order of the day no matter if your a poster here on TV or the president or head of a country. Us (myself included at times) are not tooo old to follow the old monkey see monkey do routine. 

There can be all sorts of motives why people fake their location and fake their knowledge about Thailand and Asia.

There can be all sorts of motives why people fake their location and fake their knowledge about Thailand and Asia.

Mental health and depression spring to mind. I haven't lived in oz for 13 years but I certainly don't trawl their local forums and bash.. TV forum Is the world leader for freaks pretending to live in another country

7 minutes ago, mcfish said:

Mental health and depression spring to mind. I haven't lived in oz for 13 years but I certainly don't trawl their local forums and bash.. TV forum Is the world leader for freaks pretending to live in another country

So obvious and so true.  PM is right - I dont believe anything anyone says on TV.  

Good general this, good general that.

He'll lap that milk & honey all day. Foreigners amused by irony are of absolutely no concern.

It doesn't matter whether it is him or you saying he and his kind are the good ones - inside Thailand the message is the same.

All you using the good general cliche know Prayuth is smarter than you are.

As he says, a little misinformation goes a long way, so thanks for your help there, boys.