2 prong plug...connect wires together?

jobin

I'm only a step above ignorant re electricity but think i have learned that putting the two wires, as from an electric cord, together will cause some problem (a short circuit?).  But this is precisely what i have been instructed to do, (i think).

My sewing machine was fitted with a separate motor and speed pedal. To disconnect the power from the machine pull off the Singer 3 prong plug; one prong to the mains the other 2 towards the foot pedal or lost into the bottom of the machine.  I needed to replace the 3 prong male plug as it was often slipping out of connection. The prongs were simple, not like an audio plug with + and - separate. There was no indication that the  2 wires leading from the mains plug-in were separated at the prong on the machine. Seemed to me entirely wrong, but i could be mistaken.  

The bottom line: can we ever connect the so-called hot and neutral wires together?

I strongly endorse the above comment to pay someone who knows what they are doing to sort your problem.

Could you post a photo of the plug? Is it even a standard one?

If it's loose in the socket could some judicious bending of the pins solve the issue?

Forget the payment. And no photo available coz i cut the bakelight female connector to bits looking for the ends and direction of the wires.  I could not find any evidence that (diagram above, post #4) wires from wall plug went anywhere BUT to connector pin #1: both Line and Neutral. 

I'll use the diagram to sort out and test the functions. And i'll wear rubber gloves = the safety net of all sparkys.

Wellll, both L and N could not possibly have gone to the same pin, a large bang would have resulted, so you're investigations are flawed.

Mains power is quite capable of killing the uninitiated, you have adequately demonstrated that you are in that group from your postings. And, contrary to your assertion, rubber gloves are not the " the safety net of all sparkys", knowledge, safe working practices and thorough testing are the correct route, no safety net needed.

I strongly suggest you pack the whole lot off to your local electrical repair man (give him the drawing too).

Do you have any test gear (DMM, neon screwdriver) and the knowledge of how to use it? Or do you expect to test everything by plugging it in?

Maybe before you go up in smoke you should look here and buy a new power cord for 20GBP or a complete assembly with the foot switch already wired!  http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xsinger+sewing+machine+power+cord+and+foot+switch.TRS0&_nkw=singer+sewing+machine+power+cord+and+foot+switch&_sacat=0

28 minutes ago, jobin said:

Well, Crossy (and others) i will consider a photo or 2 but don't be surprised if what is shown does not seem normal.  Certainly it is jury-rigged. 

So long as it is SAFE!

Some photos starting with BENZ machine, then power controller, 3 prong male and female plugs, back of machine, etc and ending with photo of connector, heat shrink tape and result of connection.  I did some soldering of individual wires where small.  

Overall, much better performance of course due to stability of current.

IMG_2004.JPG

IMG_2007.JPG

IMG_2010.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2016.JPG

IMG_2017.JPG

IMG_2019.JPG

On Monday, February 20, 2017 at 3:31 PM, RichCor said:

These people should really think about replacing that incandescent with a CFL bulb. 

Think I would opt for LED.