Hotel reservation for tourist visa in Yangon?

So, the website for the Thai embassy in Yangon lists, among their requirements for a tourist visa,

"5. confirmed round trip air ticket or hotel reservation/accommodation reference (for travelling through border)".

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/33445-Tourist-Visa.html

Now I am wondering if I can get away with a hotel reservation (somewhere in Thailand) for just 1 or 2 nights, and *not* have to purchase a round trip flight in and out of Thailand.

Anyone have any experience with this?

@Nick: when were you there? I got a tourist visa in Yangon March of last year, hadn't read their policy, and they gave me some grief about not having air tickeys (though eventually gave me the visa anyway, but only after my being interviewed by a senior official and having to write up an itinerary for them, of my Thai travel plans).

Perhaps a bit different but I recently flew to Mandalay (from CNX) and nobody in Mandalay asked me about any hotel confirmation.  I also had an e-visa from Myanmar and listed a different hotel than the one that I eventually booked.  Didn't seem to matter.

59 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Perhaps a bit different but I recently flew to Mandalay (from CNX) and nobody in Mandalay asked me about any hotel confirmation.  I also had an e-visa from Myanmar and listed a different hotel than the one that I eventually booked.  Didn't seem to matter.

I think you misunderstand the subject of this thread. It is about the requirements for a Thai single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in Yangon. What might be required by Myanmar immigration for a visit to Myanmar is a completely different matter.

• Like 1

If you do not want to show them an outbound flight ticket, I believe you could claim you are going to, says, Lao, through border and show them hotel reservation in Lao to back up your claim (that you are really going out of the country). You could book a hotel in Lao through Agoda or something with "pay later" option. This way you do not have to pay anything and just cancel the booking without penalty fee after you done with the visa. I planned this for an employee I sent to Myanmar for Non-B visa, in case there was something wrong and he need to get a tourist visa instead. He got a Non-B though, so I do not know if this plan would work or not.

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

I think you misunderstand the subject of this thread. It is about the requirements for a Thai single entry tourist visa from the Thai Embassy in Yangon. What might be required by Myanmar immigration for a visit to Myanmar is a completely different matter.

Yep, I apparently was clueless about the correct issue.  As Gilda Ratner's Emily Litella used to say:  "Nevermind!" (and sorry).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nick ZepTepi said:

I posted a report back in November.
They are more concerned about perfect Dollar bills than a ticket.

I did wear a nice shirt with collar usually goes down better than the slackers in baseball caps & vests emoji23.pngemoji38.pngemoji13.png

Sent from my S7 using Tapatalk

& AFAIK you don't have to worry abt the nice dola bills - free entry for the time being, - it has been extended.

If you do not want to show them an outbound flight ticket, I believe you could claim you are going to, says, Lao, through border and show them hotel reservation in Lao to back up your claim (that you are really going out of the country). You could book a hotel in Lao through Agoda or something with "pay later" option. This way you do not have to pay anything and just cancel the booking without penalty fee after you done with the visa. I planned this for an employee I sent to Myanmar for Non-B visa, in case there was something wrong and he need to get a tourist visa instead. He got a Non-B though, so I do not know if this plan would work or not.

Is there a Myanmar-Lao border-crossing point? I was under the impression that there wasn't one. Certainly would be convenient tho.

I posted a report back in November.
They are more concerned about perfect Dollar bills than a ticket.

I did wear a nice shirt with collar usually goes down better than the slackers in baseball caps & vests [emoji23][emoji38][emoji13]

So I looked up your past post at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/930392-Tourist-Visa-Yangon#entry11122035

So in the end you didn't need to show flight tickets/ reservations?

You also raised a question I'd never thought of -- I assumed a hotel reservation would be for somewhere in Thailand, but you were asking if it was actually for wherever one would go to after exiting Thailand. I'm not clear on which it is.

So I looked up your past post at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/930392-Tourist-Visa-Yangon#entry11122035

So in the end you didn't need to show flight tickets/ reservations?

You also raised a question I'd never thought of -- I assumed a hotel reservation would be for somewhere in Thailand, but you were asking if it was actually for wherever one would go to after exiting Thailand. I'm not clear on which it is.

I admire your dodged determination.
I've just looked through my posts & it was like walking through treacle.

Anyway the mods have rolled it into a pinned thread so it came off my feed.
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/954198-SETV-Yangon-report

The hotel booking thing, was questioned as the embassy states near the border. I think this was done for people claiming bus travel with no ticket. They assume a stop over in a border town before crossing.

From my experience and & the other reports there is little chance you will be asked for anything other than flight into Thailand.

• 1 month later...

Update: The only extra documentation I submitted was a reservation for one night at a hotel in kanchanaburi; I got my tourist visa with no hassles. (They did ask the guy ahead of me in line -- he may have been Myanmar -- about flight reservations).

I did have to pay the USD 40 -- not that I'm complaining, but I thought tourist visas were currently free. Also, note that they're still looking for (pretty much) pristine bills.

A few weeks later I crossed from htee keep (coming from dawei) to phu nam ron, no problems.

All in all, straightforward and hassle- free.

9 minutes ago, jan2557 said:

I did have to pay the USD 40 -- not that I'm complaining, but I thought tourist visas were currently free.

They are not free for all nationalities. Only those from the 17  countries that are eligible to apply for and obtain a 15 day visa on arrival get them free until August.

They are not free for all nationalities. Only those from the 17  countries that are eligible to apply for and obtain a 15 day visa on arrival get them free until August.

Well that explains it; I guess I missed that particular detail in the stories about the visa fees being suspended.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Mickster58 said:

Does anyone know if getting an SETV in Yangon is still free? And when the free visa ends?

It has not been free since March 1st for those from most countries.

If from one of the 19 countries that qualify for a 15 day visa on arrival after applying for it and paying a fee it is still free until the end of August.

• 10 months later...

http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/en/services/33445-Tourist-Visa.html

Hi Everyone, so the official website (above) I believe states very very clearly what are the requirements for a 60-day SETV from yangoon are...

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with what seems like the NEW requirements if you have many entries in your passport.? ...I say new because there hasn't been any mention of this requirement for many entries in these threads.

Thanks for any updates... 

_20180318_073443.JPG

12 minutes ago, wrazoru said:

Just wondering if anyone has had experience with what seems like the NEW requirements if you have many entries in your passport.? ...I say new because there hasn't been any mention of this requirement for many entries in these threads.

That has been on their website for a long time. I think they are for Myanmar citizens since nobody has reported been asked for the additional documents when applying there.