Address in one province, registering a vehicle in another...

mortenaa

Hi guys,

I recently bought a motorcycle in Hua Hin to keep in a weekend house. I live and reside in Bangkok. Recently became PR with a PR book, Alien Book and Blue Tabien Baan. I gave the shop copies of all documents, but they say they can't register my motorcycle, as I need an address in Hua Hin. 

Have anyone successfully registered a vehicle in one province, with an address in another? 

4 minutes ago, juehoe said:

You have to register in the province where the license plate was issued, therefore in Prachuap Khiri Khan. You can register the bike on your address in Bangkok.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thank you! I don't know why they shop says otherwise. I doubt they have actually tried.

You can register the bike yourself.  My wife registered our last car herself as she wanted it registered in the Province where we live and not Bangkok. You just need the paperwork from the dealer to say that he has paid.

Sorry ...maybe only applies to new. 

Edited by JAS21

To Juehoe (or others with personal experience) Re: Post #2

- Does this require an annual trip back to the province of registration ?

- if yes, can it be done in advance of the expiry date ?

- if yes, how long in advance ?

- is there a procedure for changing the province of registration ?

11 minutes ago, allane said:

To Juehoe (or others with personal experience) Re: Post #2

- Does this require an annual trip back to the province of registration ?

- if yes, can it be done in advance of the expiry date ?

- if yes, how long in advance ?

- is there a procedure for changing the province of registration ?

If you are talking about paying the annual road tax then ...

No...

One month ...

Yes ... go to local LTO. A Thai will just need their ID Card, Blue Book or whatever colour one for a motorbike is. Vehicle needs inspecting at the LTO. Complete the paperwork and pay.

A foriegner needs in addition at least proof of address/passport ... rules 'flex' at different LTO's so ask ...

Edited by JAS21

5 hours ago, JAS21 said:

You can register the bike yourself.  My wife registered our last car herself as she wanted it registered in the Province where we live and not Bangkok. You just need the paperwork from the dealer to say that he has paid.

Its a brand new bike from Yamaha. I just need the paperwork and not the bike, right?

" he has paid " - what do you mean by that?

Edited by mortenaa

The DLT usually doesn't accept proof of addy outside their justistiction. You need some proof of address in HH for it to be registered at the HH office / district.

if you want to use your PR addy, which I presume is in BKK then you will need to register it in BKK, then ride around with a BKK plate in HH.

Register the bike yourself in Bangkok. Ask for the paperwork from the dealer......

OR  simply  buy the bike in Bangkok and send by Post Office to you home in Hua Hin,..

After, you can pay the annual Road Tax   anywhere. Just need your Green Book....

Having just changed my car and motorbike, both registered in a different province originally, I have had to re-register both in my province, therefore proof of address etc etc . Both will get new registration plates.

as far as I could glean from the local tax centre, new legislation for vehicles requires them to be registered in you province of residence. However, you can renew the tax anywhere .

therefore, just register it at your Bangkok address and keep it in Hua Hin 

I live in NongKhai and bought a bike registered in Udon Thani, I didn't have any problems changing the green book over to my name and address but leaving the bike registered in Udon, have been using the bike for over two years and gone through a lot of highway checks with no problems. 

Not sure on a new bike...never had that pleasure :sad: