Why The 90 Day Voa Rule Will Never Work

There's been a lot of talk about the new 90 days in a 180 day period for Visa exemptions. There are a lot of rumors flying and a lot of people are worried. My personal opinion is that the rule will never be enforced, and was just put on the books for certain "undesirables." Here's why I think this:

1. I've been doing monthly visa runs for years. After Oct 1, I flew to KL to get a tourist visa. Unfortunately, the embassy was closed all week so I returned to Bangkok without a visa. Despite a passport full of visa exemption stamps, I recieved no "1" or anything of the sort of my stamp. This, along with other reports along the same lines, leads me to believe that the 90 count isn't really being tracked at the airports, but only on the land crossings. Presumably, this is because the Thais assume people travelling through the airport have more money.

2. I received a tourist visa a month later in Penang, with no questions asked about my 30+ visa exemtion stamps. I was stamped in at Suvarnabhumi Airport without a second glance.

3. I've spoken to the owner of one of the border run companies, and he said the new regulations were "a bunch of rubbish." Namely, he said the regulations were for "certain people." My guess is that the rule is on the books but will only be enforced in certain, obvious cases. For example, the rule will probably be stricter on some nationalities than others. I think well dressed, clean shaven Americans, Brits, Australians and Canadians etc.. will never have any problem with the new rules. Poorly dressed bums from less "popular" countries may encounter some unwanted problems.

4. My last point is somewhat off topic. But I've heard a lot of people going on about how Thailand's rules are fair, how they're just tightening their rules to bring them on par with Western countries, etc... This I have to say is a load of crap. Thailand is not a wealthy, modernized country. It's just a step above the third world. Western countries need to impose strict immigration laws to keep out what would otherwise be a FLOOD of poor immigrants. While Thailand may have a similar problem with neighbouring countries like Myanmar and Cambodia, there is hardly any risk of this coming from affluent, Western countries. Thailand //edit for language - lopburi3// with atrocious service, scorching heat, and some of the worst traffic on earth. To impose such strict immigration policies on Western people, I think, is ridiculous and unwarranted. Even the so-called "undesirables" here, in large part, contribute something to Thailand. Many are pulling money from their home country and pouring it into Thailand. And even the poorest farangs are still considerably wealthier than the average Thai, so it seems absurd to prevent them from staying here.

My personal belief is that the new regulation was initially just a knee-jerk reaction to the John Karr scandal. Like most things in Thailand, I don't think they really thought out all of the implications of their plan, or even how to implement it. They slapped some new rules on the books, purely for show, but will have absolutely no way or desire to enforce the rules for the majority of cases.

Having said all that, I still woudn't want to take my chance with a border run after Jan 1st. I've already gotten my tourist visa and I highly suggest others do the same.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this.

Edited by lopburi3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why is it some people feel //edit for language - lopburi3//!!!!!!!!

I guess that was a bit harsh. I should have been more specific. It's not Thailand but Bangkok that is dirty and smelly. I think most reasonable people would agree with me about that.

I stay for the same reason as many others: to stay with and support my Thai girlfriend.

There's been a lot of talk about the new 90 days in a 180 day period for Visa exemptions. There are a lot of rumors flying and a lot of people are worried. My personal opinion is that the rule will never be enforced, and was just put on the books for certain "undesirables."

Having said all that, I still woudn't want to take my chance with a border run after Jan 1st. I've already gotten my tourist visa and I highly suggest others do the same.

You think the new regulations won't be enforced but you don't want to take the chance. Why not?

There's been a lot of talk about the new 90 days in a 180 day period for Visa exemptions. There are a lot of rumors flying and a lot of people are worried. My personal opinion is that the rule will never be enforced, and was just put on the books for certain "undesirables."

You think the new regulations won't be enforced but you don't want to take the chance. Why not?

For two reasons.

One, because it's just my opinion and really it could go either way.

And two, because as I mentioned before there seems to be more scrutiny at land crossings than at the airport. I plan to do all of my future "visa runs" through the airport. When you think about it, buying a round trip ticket to Singapore, spending a few hours there then returning, is not much more expensive than the 2,000 baht you'd pay for a visa run, and it's certainly a safer bet coming through an airport.

I had a friend from Mauritius who was doing this long before the new regulations.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

I think it sometimes might come down to which particular border official you end up in front of on a given day.

If the spouse was narky that morning then Joe Falang might be looked at closely.

Spouse lovey-dovey? JF might get only a cursory glance and passed through.

4. My last point is somewhat off topic. But I've heard a lot of people going on about how Thailand's rules are fair, how they're just tightening their rules to bring them on par with Western countries, etc... This I have to say is a load of crap. Thailand is not a wealthy, modernized country. It's just a step above the third world. Western countries need to impose strict immigration laws to keep out what would otherwise be a FLOOD of poor immigrants. While Thailand may have a similar problem with neighbouring countries like Myanmar and Cambodia, there is hardly any risk of this coming from affluent, Western countries. Thailand //edit for language - lopburi3// with atrocious service, scorching heat, and some of the worst traffic on earth. To impose such strict immigration policies on Western people, I think, is ridiculous and unwarranted. Even the so-called "undesirables" here, in large part, contribute something to Thailand. Many are pulling money from their home country and pouring it into Thailand. And even the poorest farangs are still considerably wealthier than the average Thai, so it seems absurd to prevent them from staying here.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing other people's thoughts on this.

Thailand //edit for language - lopburi3// with atrocious service, scorching heat, and some of the worst traffic on earth.

Why are you staying then ? Try to bring your GF to Farangland and see if it is as easy as for you to stay here.

You will benefit from a clean city with great service perfect weather and no traffic !

The fact that westerners have more money does NOT give them the right to everything they feel

This is a colinial attitude and very downgrading towards the Thais

I wonder what your GF feels of the way you view her countrymen

Edited by Krub

Why are you staying then ? Try to bring your GF to Farangland and see if it is as easy as for you to stay here.

You will benefit from a clean city with great service perfect weather and no traffic !

The fact that westerners have more money does NOT give them the right to everything they feel

This is a colinial attitude and very downgrading towards the Thais

I wonder what your GF feels of the way you view her countrymen

I wasn't trying to complain about Thailand. I enjoy living here and find it far more interesting than life in the West. I was just trying to explain why comparing Thai immigration laws to Western immigration laws may not be relevant. In general foreigners living here have a positive impact on the economy, simply because they bring money from other countries into Thailand. This is not generally true for immigrants to many Western countries.

Thanks for the response, but I do think it's irrelevant to question my own motives for staying here. I apologize if I came across as being negative towards Thailand, but I'm really just looking for other people's feelings about the new immigration rules, not an argument over my opinion of Thailand.

I do not agree with all the OPs opinions, however I found the post hugely enjoyable. I think some of you posters are being a little harsh on him.

I have only one thing to add: My mother came for a visit last month and got a "1" next to her 30 day stamp at Suvarnaphumi, so the rule clearly is not only for border crossings.

Thailand is a country that wants to take without giving. They wont western money, but do not wont us here all year unless we are old.

I agree with the poster 100%, long term I do not believe these rules will be upheld, though in Jan-Feb, that will be a different question all together. This will pass I am sure. But time will tell

In general foreigners living here have a positive impact on the economy, simply because they bring money from other countries into Thailand. This is not generally true for immigrants to many Western countries.
Thailand is a country that wants to take without giving. They wont western money, but do not wont us here all year unless we are old.

Sorry there boys... It ain't ALWAYS ALL about MONEY. Obviously, Thais are concerned with generating money from foriegners but in reality it just ain't all "take without giving." Not for Thailand it isn't.

Besides, no ones been asked to leave. What are you all on about anyhow? If you've done 3 border runs, go and get yourself a Tourist Visa. I guess some of ya'll just can't wait til you got a REASON to complain. what's the sense in hollerin before youre hurt? Relax now fellers, youre in the Land of Smile. :o

The rules are not really so new.

Some years ago, there was a half-official forum (nongkhaiimmigration.com) and they announced very similar rules. It was mentioned, that the rules exist for some time already, but up to then, it had not been technically possible to apply them. With a new computer system, this may change.

There are a lot of rules in Thailand, that are not enforced. For example, there is a law that forbids entry to Thailand for men with long hair, wearing slacks etc. This rules exist, but I never heard that any person was refused entry for this reason. I guess, such a rule may be used any time, when an immigration officer wants to refuse entry to a person. But I am sure there would be a good reason for this, so the actual reason may not be covered by a law.

Thai burocracy is not service public, but protection of the interest of Thailand, the state. Thais are living with rules that always puts them with one foot into jail. They are used to it. And as long as you do not overreach, you can live like this in peace. We farangs are not used to this, but if we want to stay here long time, we have to get used to more than different food.

As other posters mentioned, if you are a person that the Thai immigration think is desirable here in Thailand, then you will have no problems. On the other hand, in this case, 99% of the people will be able to apply for a visa and/or extension. And for me, that id the prefered way to do it, taking my last foot also out of jail . I am a borne farang and I will never really make it to be a Thai :o

Just my two statangs.

//edit to remove email - again - lopburi3//

The OP may very well be correct. I can't help but think however, that an immigration official prevously only issued a "yes" stamp will now have both a "yes" and a "no" stamp and the authority to use either at his/her disgression. It will likely spice things up a bit. Must be on our best behavior which should go without saying.

The OP may very well be correct. I can't help but think however, that an immigration official prevously only issued a "yes" stamp will now have both a "yes" and a "no" stamp and the authority to use either at his/her disgression. It will likely spice things up a bit. Must be on our best behavior which should go without saying.

the 1,2,3 are not a way of monitoring your visa usage.

they are a reverse countdown to the opportunity to take bribes.

Otherwise what's the point of getting a government job.

Taksin was extremely unlucky to have been accused in a country of abusers.

No offence :o

Interesting Post.

My biggest question would be to those people who have had 3 X 30 day visa stamps, then leave the Kingdom and attempt to re-enter before the 90 days outside the Kingdom rule.

For example, if I had used-up my 3 X 30 day visa stamps and went back to the U.K. for 1 month and tried to check-in at the airport in my home country, would the check-in staff be responsible for checking the passport and adding up all the days?

Then upon arrival in Thailand by air, could one be turned away because of already using 'up' their 3 X 30 day visa on entry stamps?

To me, that is the most interesting question.

In general foreigners living here have a positive impact on the economy, simply because they bring money from other countries into Thailand. This is not generally true for immigrants to many Western countries.

Sorry there boys... It ain't ALWAYS ALL about MONEY. Obviously, Thais are concerned with generating money from foriegners but in reality it just ain't all "take without giving." Not for Thailand it isn't.

Besides, no ones been asked to leave. What are you all on about anyhow? If you've done 3 border runs, go and get yourself a Tourist Visa. I guess some of ya'll just can't wait til you got a REASON to complain. what's the sense in hollerin before youre hurt? Relax now fellers, youre in the Land of Smile. :o

I cannot agree with you on this

Take without giving, stop, Thailand allows company set up to purchase housing, they are aware it takes place and allows it to happen, but keeps the rules where they can take back at any time. Wont tourists, but would hate even one person break the law by working so. NO FARANG WORK, CAN NOT STAY ON VOA, to worried about a few people, response punish the lot of them.

Thailand legaly grants farangs to drive by issuing licences, but have a crash and it is a thais fault FARANG PAY. that is taking without giving

I am under 50, not married, no business, do not work here, and the future is uncertain, JUST BECAUSE THAILAND IS WORRIED SOME FARANGS MAYBE WORKING ILLIGALY, so lets throw people like me out, or make it too difficult to stay, my 80,000bht a month will go with me

Thailand are making the water mercy and are asking people to leave and not come for certain amounts of time.

You read on this forum time and time again tourists taking six months out trying to figure where and how to go and the logistics, as soon as many long tourists see the list required for Thailand, simple they will spend three months here and three months over places.

There are plenty of wealthy people that are under 50, not married to a thai, not in business in Thailand that will see these new rules and simply move to an easier country.

Many bars in Pattaya area are saying this high season trade is down. With the uncertainty of long term stay, I am not surprised.

People who think the long term tourists do not have any financial impact, visit walking street sun-fri, then revisit on Saturday, much much busier and this is the people living here having a Saturday night out. Where as the tourists numbers can not fill this road alone

This is why i agree with the original poster

"I agree with the poster 100%, long term I do not believe these rules will be upheld, though in Jan-Feb, that will be a different question all together. This will pass I am sure. But time will tell"

Me too. But like the guy who started the thread, I don't bet on it being enforced, however I don't want to be there for the immediate aftermath when they decide how to deal with the upcoming deadline. Be it for good or not, there are bound to be a few who would rather stay here that will get caught in the net and get sent home, or told to look for housing in Phnom Penh, Vientianne, or Yangon. leaving their gf's wondering why they didn't show up at the bus station that night. I'll be happy to have my VISA in the new year, and not have to be part of the messy muck that this rule is stirring up.

And it will be quite an interesting show to sit back and watch unfold as well. Best of luck to everyone. There will no doubt be many tales to be told....over beers.

Take without giving, stop, Thailand allows company set up to purchase housing, they are aware it takes place and allows it to happen, but keeps the rules where they can take back at any time. Wont tourists, but would hate even one person break the law by working so. NO FARANG WORK, CAN NOT STAY ON VOA, to worried about a few people, response punish the lot of them.

Thailand legaly grants farangs to drive by issuing licences, but have a crash and it is a thais fault FARANG PAY. that is taking without giving

I am under 50, not married, no business, do not work here, and the future is uncertain, JUST BECAUSE THAILAND IS WORRIED SOME FARANGS MAYBE WORKING ILLIGALY, so lets throw people like me out, or make it too difficult to stay, my 80,000bht a month will go with me

Thailand are making the water mercy and are asking people to leave and not come for certain amounts of time.

You read on this forum time and time again tourists taking six months out trying to figure where and how to go and the logistics, as soon as many long tourists see the list required for Thailand, simple they will spend three months here and three months over places.

There are plenty of wealthy people that are under 50, not married to a thai, not in business in Thailand that will see these new rules and simply move to an easier country.

Many bars in Pattaya area are saying this high season trade is down. With the uncertainty of long term stay, I am not surprised.

People who think the long term tourists do not have any financial impact, visit walking street sun-fri, then revisit on Saturday, much much busier and this is the people living here having a Saturday night out. Where as the tourists numbers can not fill this road alone

Thailand's economy is not made or centerred of Pattaya and Phuket only !

Interesting Post.

My biggest question would be to those people who have had 3 X 30 day visa stamps, then leave the Kingdom and attempt to re-enter before the 90 days outside the Kingdom rule.

For example, if I had used-up my 3 X 30 day visa stamps and went back to the U.K. for 1 month and tried to check-in at the airport in my home country, would the check-in staff be responsible for checking the passport and adding up all the days?

Then upon arrival in Thailand by air, could one be turned away because of already using 'up' their 3 X 30 day visa on entry stamps?

The offical statements to this point was: Yes this is a real problem. Never heared that they have found a solution for it.

But i guess they will allow you to enter the kingdom but put one of this many nice stamps they have in your passport saying this is the last time - if they find that you are violating the 90 out of 180 day rules. This would be the easiest and most rational solution. But we will see how it goes in the next year. Everything is possible.

I stay for the same reason as many others: to stay with and support my Thai girlfriend.

To complete your picture, would you tell us how and where you earn the money for your living expenses and for the support of your girlfriend?

--

Maestro

"For example, if I had used-up my 3 X 30 day visa stamps and went back to the U.K. for 1 month and tried to check-in at the airport in my home country, would the check-in staff be responsible for checking the passport and adding up all the days?"

the airport staff will definitely start checking once passengers were sent back by immigration on the same aircraft they arrived.

Thailand's economy is not made or centerred of Pattaya and Phuket only !

Correct, But Pattaya, Phucket, Crabi, Ko Samui and Issans ecomony is.

And I was just starting to regret building a home in Phnom Penh instead of thailand. Dose not sound promising if the OP's mother had a number 1 written next to her stamp at the airport.

Maybe a good time to buy a guesthouse in sihanoukville.

btw cambodian biz visas , easy to get and $70 for 3 months(single entry) or $140 for 6 months(multiple entry). get as many back to back as you want.

Maybe somebody with common sense will realise that this is what people will do and thailand will lose its falang income to neighbouring countries who will be all too happy to accept.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. Hopefully just another scare as per history.

som nang laor!

And I was just starting to regret building a home in Phnom Penh instead of thailand. Dose not sound promising if the OP's mother had a number 1 written next to her stamp at the airport.

btw cambodian biz visas , easy to get and $70 for 3 months(single entry) or $140 for 6 months(multiple entry). get as many back to back as you want.

Maybe somebody with common sense will realise that this is what people will do and thailand will lose its falang income to neighbouring countries who will be all too happy to accept.

Will be interesting to see what comes of this. Hopefully just another scare as per history.

som nang laor!

H folks

Just for information. I was in Thailand from Oct 31 to Dec. 8 based on a normal tourist visa (single entry). I working in Switzerland for a Swiss company and I get every year approx. 6 month vacation.

Yesterday, I tried in Switzerland (on Thai consulate) to get a Tourist visa for my next vacation on January. I planned to stay approx. 10 weeks. I built a house in Phuket (investement approx. 10 Million THB) last year.

As I know, the new visa regulation are not really clear, I toke all the paper with me (working contract, chanot paper, lease contract, Salary statement from the swiss comapny).

So, the RESULT : NO CHANCE TO GET A VISA at a THAI CONSULATE in Switzerland ! They told me, I was already 7 weeks in thailand, and I can go there only 4 more weeks until end of june 07.

So, thats reality in Switzerland (I tried on different Thai consulates in Switzerland)

So, now I'm really disappointed and after travelling 63 times in 17 years to Thailand, invest 10 Millions, I would not be allowed to make more than 4 weeks vacation until end of june 07.

Now It seems that I will get the visa in other EU countries. But ..... I will go there to sale everything and take my investements back. A country with such a politic aigainst investors isen't worth to invest.

I wrote the story to TAT, BOI, and few other places and I'm waiting for a response.

Chris

som nang laor!

H folks

Just for information. I was in Thailand from Oct 31 to Dec. 8 based on a normal tourist visa (single entry). I working in Switzerland for a Swiss company and I get every year approx. 6 month vacation.

Yesterday, I tried in Switzerland (on Thai consulate) to get a Tourist visa for my next vacation on January. I planned to stay approx. 10 weeks. I built a house in Phuket (investement approx. 10 Million THB) last year.

As I know, the new visa regulation are not really clear, I toke all the paper with me (working contract, chanot paper, lease contract, Salary statement from the swiss comapny).

So, the RESULT : NO CHANCE TO GET A VISA at a THAI CONSULATE in Switzerland ! They told me, I was already 7 weeks in thailand, and I can go there only 4 more weeks until end of june 07.

So, thats reality in Switzerland (I tried on different Thai consulates in Switzerland)

So, now I'm really disappointed and after travelling 63 times in 17 years to Thailand, invest 10 Millions, I would not be allowed to make more than 4 weeks vacation until end of june 07.

Now It seems that I will get the visa in other EU countries. But ..... I will go there to sale everything and take my investements back. A country with such a politic aigainst investors isen't worth to invest.

I wrote the story to TAT, BOI, and few other places and I'm waiting for a response.

Chris

This is quite disturbing if a Swiss national is refused a tourist visa in his own country. Either the rules have been wrongly interpreted at the Embassy/Consulates in Switzerland or the general understanding that the 90 days within 180 are only the days on 30 days stamps which are counted is wrong.

Time will tell.

som nang laor!

H folks

Chris

This is quite disturbing if a Swiss national is refused a tourist visa in his own country. Either the rules have been wrongly interpreted at the Embassy/Consulates in Switzerland or the general understanding that the 90 days within 180 are only the days on 30 days stamps which are counted is wrong.

Time will tell.

Just have checked the website from Zurich and have found out in the touristenvisa instruction sheet (pdf) new instruction: It's only be allowed to stay 90 days within 180 for Tourists after okt 1.

Just have checked the website from Zurich and have found out in the touristenvisa instruction sheet (pdf) new instruction: It's only be allowed to stay 90 days within 180 for Tourists after okt 1.

If this is true, it could be reported to the authorities in Bangkok as it seems to be against the info on other governement websites

If this is true, it could be reported to the authorities in Bangkok as it seems to be against the info on other governement websites

Either that or the Swiss are the "some foreigners have been coming to Thailand and behaving badly... we do not want these people" that the authorities here are trying to 'weed-out'

Yes, I double checked Zurich, mistake,

but Berne is not much better: Exempted from visa requirements...if ...stay...does exceed 30 days.

Visa

1. Swiss nationals as well as nationals from 38 countries (see the list of countries below) holding valid passport shall be exempted from visa requirements for entering into Thailand for the purpose of tourism if their stay in the country does exceed 30 days.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/1409.php?id=1489