US, Thailand to Launch 2017 Cobra Gold Military Exercises

webfact

US, Thailand to Launch 2017 Cobra Gold Military Exercises

Asia’s largest multinational drill will kick off on February 14.

By Prashanth Parameswaran

BANGKOK: -- On Tuesday, the United States and Thailand will kick off the 2017 iteration of the annual Cobra Gold military exercises, Asia’s largest multinational drill.

In over 30 years, Cobra Gold, which began as a bilateral drill between the United States and Thailand – Washington’s oldest ally in Asia – has now grown into one of the world’s largest multinational exercises, involving some 30 countries.

Cobra Gold 2017, the 36th iteration of the military exercise, is officially taking place from February 14 to 24, according to a statement released by the U.S. embassy in Bangkok. The opening ceremony was held in Sattahip Royal Thai Marine Corps Base in Chonburi Province, while the closing ceremony will be held in Phu Lamyai Training area in Nakhon Ratchasima Province.

Full story: http://thediplomat.com/2017/02/us-thailand-to-launch-2017-cobra-gold-military-exercises/

-- THE DIPLOMAT 2017-02-14

4 hours ago, farcanell said:

Washingtons oldest allies in Asia?

not the Philippines?

thailand certainly didn't do much as an ally in WW2.... 

The U.S. and Thailand have had a good working relationship since 1818.  During the U.S. Civil War, Thailand even offered to give military assistance to the U.S. 

The U.S. relationship with the Philippians did not start until 1898 as a result of the Spanish American War, which ended in the Philippians becoming a colony of the U.S.

The Philippines did not gain independence and become a nation until 1946 or 47.

7 minutes ago, BarnicaleBob said:

The U.S. and Thailand have had a good working relationship since 1818.  During the U.S. Civil War, Thailand even offered to give military assistance to the U.S. 

The U.S. relationship with the Philippians did not start until 1898 as a result of the Spanish American War, which ended in the Philippians becoming a colony of the U.S.

The Philippines did not gain independence and become a nation until 1946 or 47.

The point being that Thailand must then have betrayed the US if it had a military alliance before 1946.... when is an Allie not an Allie? When it stabs you in the back

10 hours ago, bsdthai said:

Perhaps the last time?

Yes the next military exercises in Thailand next year will be named "Rampant Dragon" and will concentrate on the number of ways the Chinese military can make use of Thai resources and territory.

On 14/02/2017 at 10:31 PM, farcanell said:

Pretty sure that was post 1946.

Thailand known as Siam back then also fought with the Americans as well as the French starting in 1917 in France during WW-1. 

There were also about 40,000 Thai freedom fighters fighting the Japanese in Thailand during WW-ll.  These Thai fighters were supplied and trained by America. 

Edited by BarnicaleBob

2 hours ago, BarnicaleBob said:

Thailand known as Siam back then also fought with the Americans as well as the French starting in 1917 in France during WW-1. 

There were also about 40,000 Thai freedom fighters fighting the Japanese in Thailand during WW-ll.  These Thai fighters were supplied and trained by America. 

Mmm.... perhaps more correctly, they "fought" under the direct command of France... they were a US Allie by defacto, nothing more.... and though declaring in 1917.... they didn't actually serve in France until the last month, or so, of the war, in 1918, suffering no battle casualties.

the first US Thai military alliance was the Manila pact, in 1954, from what I gather.

sure... trade agreements existed since 1818 or something, but that is somewhat different, in my opinion, but admittedly, it qualifies as an alliance, for what it's worth

but this isn't a real surprise, because all of the other Asian countries were colonies of Europe, (or hostile.), and would have been defacto trading parties anyway

my point was more about the fact that they were of no consequence in WW2, when they could have done more for any US military alliance, beyond providing graveyards, at the behest of the Japanese.... but as they were not military allies, outside the defunct League of Nations.... and so, effectively, as a country, turning its back on America....so....the Philippines would still be the oldest continual military ally in Asia.... they even fought in the American civil war, and were an American colony since 1880 (ish), as you noted earlier, affirming my point

Edited by farcanell

On 14/02/2017 at 7:47 AM, farcanell said:

Washingtons oldest allies in Asia?

not the Philippines?

thailand certainly didn't do much as an ally in WW2.... 

Now that is untrue, it declared war on the USA, but the ambassador was to scared to deliver the message and on the UK where it was delivered and a few (very Few) of the local lads helped out and did a half decent job of fighting with the Japs sorry Japonese

17 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Now that is untrue, it declared war on the USA, but the ambassador was to scared to deliver the message and on the UK where it was delivered and a few (very Few) of the local lads helped out and did a half decent job of fighting with the Japs sorry Japonese

Sorry... what? The Philippines  declared war on the USA? (I specifically mention the Philippines vs Thailand, and My post was referencing military allies)

We are not talking about Japan.... and if we are too, then your claim that the Japanese ambassador (I assume that's who you refer too) was too scared to say anything is arguably BS, Especially given their (Japanese officers) code of honor

the Japanese ambassadors memoirs points out that pearl was attacked on a weekend, and messages hadn't been decoded.... remember for a minute that this was before the www.... and the ambassador was apparently working hard to prevent war between the us and Japan... but he was only an ambassador

and who are these very few you talk off?

also... just for shits and giggles.... a great many wars kick off with a surprise attack, which is a sound military tactic.

Ah... I got it wakeup... sorry

thailand declared war on the USA.... great... that corroborates my point... The USAs oldest ally in Southeast Asia, Thailand (per OP) stabbed the US in the back.... ergo my point that the Philippines should be recognized as its oldest continual ally, vs a country that jumps horse mid stream. (Thailand)