best embassy for non o for retirement- Vientiane or Penang?

38 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

I got my SE Non-O on 13 Oct. 2016

I went out of the country on Dec. 28th 2016 and thus extended my visa early  (Dec. 14th) and at that time I extended my visa for reasons of retirement. My extension was a SE.

I came back into the country on Jan. 4. 2017 and my next reporting is March 13, 2017

(I know you explained this to me once before Joe,  but...) Why does my extension of stay say it is good until Jan. 14, 2018?

I was thinking it would perhaps be Dec. 13, 2017

??

By when will I need 800K in the bank again for three months of seasoning?

Your extension started at the end of the 90 day entry you got in October. Which would of been in January 2017 making your extension valid until January of 2018.

You apparently got a single re-entry permit before making you trip out or you would of only gotten a  30 day visa exempt entry.

Your report of staying in the country longer than 90 consecutive days is due 90 days from the date you entered the country. Which is April 3rd since you entered on January 4th.

The 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 3 months on the date you apply for your new extension in December of this year or January 2018.

This is a first, I disagree with Ubonjoe.  From personal experience I can tell you that you cannot change a Tourist Visa or a Tourist Visa waiver to a Non-Immigrant visa in Thailand.  Years ago you could but not anymore.  I'm sure in different provinces you can always find an exception.

As far as money in a Thai bank account my experience is that whatever Thai Embassy you go to they will not expect you to have money in a Thai bank because you have not relocated to Thailand yet so how could you have money in a Thai bank.  The reason you're getting a visa is so you can go to Thailand and of course after you get there you can open a Thai bank account.

You have to start with a visa and visas are only issued outside Thailand.  So you must get your original visa Non-Immigrant visa outside Thailand and then you can ask for extensions in Thailand. And no, despite a popular rumor, you do not have to leave Thailand once a year to get an extension.  Non-Immigrant visas can be converted from one type of Non-Immigrant to another type of Non-Immigrant in Thailand.  So if you enter on a Non-Immigrant O visa it can be converted to a Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement) at Thai Immigration.  It behooves someone to get a O-A vice O visa because you automatically get a year when you come in.  If you enter on a "O" visa you will only be granted 90 days.

Since there is so much confustion regarding O-A visas, when extensions are due, how long you can stay in Thailand, etc I have created a Power Point.  It is broken down into 2 parts because the as one file it is too big. for this forum.

i have been dealing with this stuff for 15+ years.  Not only my O-A visas but O visas for my wife in multiple country non-Thai passports acquired in multiple countries and for my daughter and her O-ED visas.  I spend so much time at Immigration I think they're going to start charging me rent.

Retirement Visa 1st Half.pptx

Retirement Visa 2nd Half.pptx

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, genobkk said:

Can we get "o" visa in Thailand or must we go out?  I thought I read we could get at imergration in Bangkok now   I turn 50 in May 

You can apply for a non immigrant visa at some immigration offices. Bangkok immigration and a few within the central region can accept the application along with Chiang Mai immigration. By we I assume your spouse and you. Unless your spouse is also applying for an extension based upon retirement they would have to go out of the country for their non-o visa. Immigration does not accept applications for those getting a dependent extension of those that are on an extension based upon retirement.

11 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

This is a first, I disagree with Ubonjoe.  From personal experience I can tell you that you cannot change a Tourist Visa or a Tourist Visa waiver to a Non-Immigrant visa in Thailand.  Years ago you could but not anymore.  I'm sure in different provinces you can always find an exception.

You are wrong. It is still possible to apply for a non immigrant visa at some immigration offices. Bangkok and some offices near there and Chiang Mai immigration can accept the application.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2017 at 8:05 AM, IMA_FARANG said:

ubonjoe gave you good factual information on what the process is here in Thailand.

Listen to him he knows what he is speaking about.

As you go through the process of getting a one year retirement/extension  based on retirement in Thailand you will find that to be true by your experience yourself.

I know because I have been there myself.

Comment;  Personally I would choose Vientianne as I have limited mobility, and Penang has 4 steps you must go up and down into to get served. Fine if you are young nd healthy, but if like me you have limited disability those 4 steps with no handhold to hold are a problem.

You see, I have been both places personally.

UJ said,"People used a income letter from there along with there bank book to prove they are retired."

This statement could be confusing as it does nothing of the sort.It just show you have enough money to obtain a retirement visa.There is no proof required to prove you are actually retired.In fact i worked for years on a OA extension for retirement.

Thanks again Joe.

So, you wrote-

Your report of staying in the country longer than 90 consecutive days is due 90 days from the date you entered the country. Which is April 3rd since you entered on January 4th.

//

That is what I thought, but stamped on the page that they staple into your passport it says-

Notify your address again on March 13, 2017

So, why is that?

On 2/14/2017 at 2:56 PM, Suradit69 said:

I think he meant that you have savings and/or a regular source of verifiable income and not likely to be seeking employment in Thailand. Even if you are receiving state or work-related pensions, that wouldn't necessarily mean you've stopped working entirely outside of Thailand... although for most people that would imply that they had.

Nothing to say you can't keep working anywhere in the world,bar Thailand.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

That is what I thought, but stamped on the page that they staple into your passport it says-

Notify your address again on March 13, 2017

You can take that slip out and toss it the trash since you left the country before that date. Leaving the country and re-entering changed the date your report is due.

On 2/14/2017 at 6:43 PM, mudlips said:

Chiang Mai or udon thani..most likely cm.I know its a tourist town.has great medical tho.udon is more laid back.even more cheaper than cm I guess.1970-1975 I lived in Udon ,NKP,and ubon.Bangkok to humidity,smells,expensive,crowed be like living manila..besides i have a daughter and grand kids that live in korat.

any ideal which visa to get??

Get a 2 month tourist visa and upgrade to non immigration o,reason being for retirement.Easy peasy.Nice places outside of Korat and you will be closer to family.

To reiterate for the sake of clarity, it is my PERSONAL, first hand, recent, experience at Chaeng Wattana that a Tourist visa or Tourist visa waiver CANNOT be converted to a Non-Immigrant O visa.  I might have been given misleading information since I was there with a close friend and his wife who is an Immigration Officer, but doubtful.  If you have a day to waste I suggest trying, you never know in Thailand, there is a lot of flexibility here.

46 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

As far as money in a Thai bank account my experience is that whatever Thai Embassy you go to they will not expect you to have money in a Thai bank because you have not relocated to Thailand yet so how could you have money in a Thai bank.  The reason you're getting a visa is so you can go to Thailand and of course after you get there you can open a Thai bank account.

You have to start with a visa and visas are only issued outside Thailand.  So you must get your original visa Non-Immigrant visa outside Thailand and then you can ask for extensions in Thailand. And no, despite a popular rumor, you do not have to leave Thailand once a year to get an extension.  Non-Immigrant visas can be converted from one type of Non-Immigrant to another type of Non-Immigrant in Thailand.  So if you enter on a Non-Immigrant O visa it can be converted to a Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement) at Thai Immigration.  It behooves someone to get a O-A vice O visa because you automatically get a year when you come in.  If you enter on a "O" visa you will only be granted 90 days.

Since there is so much confustion regarding O-A visas, when extensions are due, how long you can stay in Thailand, etc I have created a Power Point.  It is broken down into 2 parts because the as one file it is too big. for this forum.

i have been dealing with this stuff for 15+ years.  Not only my O-A visas but O visas for my wife in multiple country non-Thai passports acquired in multiple countries and for my daughter and her O-ED visas.  I spend so much time at Immigration I think they're going to start charging me rent.

Retirement Visa 1st Half.pptx

Retirement Visa 2nd Half.pptx

JXCutter said"if you enter on a Non-Immigrant O visa it can be converted to a Non-Immigrant O-A (Retirement) at Thai Immigration"

The above is impossible as an OA can only be obtained in your home country.

Edited by louse1953

If you will look at the power point it gives guidance regarding how long you are admitted when you arrive in Thailand.  Basically, every time an O-A arrives during the life of the O-A visa (one year) the person is allowed to stay in Thailand for one year.  When an O arrives he is allowed to stay in Thailand for 90 days.  If the O visa has not expired and it is multiple entry (or he goes and gets a re-entry permit) the O visa holder can exit and re-enter and get another 90 days.

32 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

To reiterate for the sake of clarity, it is my PERSONAL, first hand, recent, experience at Chaeng Wattana that a Tourist visa or Tourist visa waiver CANNOT be converted to a Non-Immigrant O visa.  I might have been given misleading information since I was there with a close friend and his wife who is an Immigration Officer, but doubtful.  If you have a day to waste I suggest trying, you never know in Thailand, there is a lot of flexibility here.

It can certainly be done if you qualify for a retirement extension at Chaeng Wattana immigration and a few others. Many people have done it.

This from Bangkok immigration website under change visa  (you need internet explorer or a browser extension for it to open it). http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=service#

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.
  1. The application must be submitted at least 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.

38 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

So Joe,

If I go to Immigration say on April 2, without the piece of paper in my passport, they will simply look at the date I arrived back in the country and then calculate the correct reporting date as April 3, and they won't be upset that the paper is not in my passport?

They will count the 90 days from the date you entered the country. No problem for not having the slip in your passport.

The website even says there is a form to change from a tourist to "O".  I filled out all the forms just like the website said.  If someone has personal, first hand, recent experience of being able to change a tourist to "O" or "O-A" I would be interested in hearing about it.  Like I said, give it a shot, not much to loose.

39 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

The website even says there is a form to change from a tourist to "O".  I filled out all the forms just like the website said.  If someone has personal, first hand, recent experience of being able to change a tourist to "O" or "O-A" I would be interested in hearing about it.  Like I said, give it a shot, not much to loose.

You cannot change to a OA visa. You get a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry from the application.

Did you have all the required financial proof when you applied and were you doing it before the last 15 days of your entry.

Edit: Here is one that was done last month at Chaeng Wattana.

image2.thumb.JPG.05ab380389b88d5340846eb

• Like 1

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

Hi folks,

So what are the advantages of having an O-A visa over an O?

And are police reports and other hurdles part of getting an O-A?

1, None if you intend to remain in Thailand on an extension based on marriage or retirement.

2. Yes.

You can only obtain a 1 year extension from a Non Imm type Visa, so whichever is the easiest type to obtain, and from where, is the only question.

Edited by dentonian

If you're asking if my wife (it was for my wife who does not qualify for a O-A) met all the listed conditions such as financial proof, required time periods, etc the answer would be yes.  I sit here and read the Immigration Police Order No. 327/2557 so reading and complying with mandated requirements is not one of my many shortcomings.

As far as financial we keep the requiste amount of money in a bank account soley in my wife's name; however, to get a "dependent" O visa extension for my wife because she is accompanying an O-A there is no financial requirement.  At least that is according to the Police Order Section 2.20 and our experience the last three times we extended my wife's O visa so she didn't have to leave the country every 90 days.

5 minutes ago, JXCutter said:

If you're asking if my wife (it was for my wife who does not qualify for a O-A) met all the listed conditions such as financial proof, required time periods, etc the answer would be yes.  I sit here and read the Immigration Police Order No. 327/2557 so reading and complying with mandated requirements is not one of my many shortcomings.

I it was your wife trying to apply for the non immigrant visa she would not qualify to apply for one unless you she is qualified for an extension based upon retirement herself.

A change to a non immigrant visa is not possible for a dependent of a person having an an extension based upon retirement or the holder of a OA visa.

• Like 1

Actually deciding between an O and O-A is a no-brainer.  If the O-A is a viable option then that is the way to go.  However, as was pointed out you may not be able to obtain an O-A anywhere except your home country.  I have heard over the years some people say they obtained an O-A outside their home country.  I don't have any personal experience with that and I never heard it from anyone I know and trust enough to believe it as fact. 

The O-A is a no-brainer because in both cases you have to fill out a lot of paperwork.  In both cases in order to get the original visa you have to go to some Thai Embassy/Consulate somewhere.  With a O-A visa you don't have to get an extension for one to two years, depending on the last time you entered Thailand.  With an O visa you have to get an extension and pay another 1,900 baht within 90 days of coming into Thailand.  Exception being if your O visa is a multiple entry you can circument going to immigration if you feel that going in and out of the country is easier and less expensive.

2 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

The multiple entry visa is expensive (as far as I am concerned) BUT if you go in and out of the country a few times, you can be saving the B1,900 reporting fee. 

What reporting fee? No report to immigration has a fee unless you are late doing them and then it is fine.

The 1900 baht is for extensions and you only have to do that once a year.

I have a fairly straight forward question. Must a person be retired to quailfy for a Thai retirement visa ? The reason for my raising this question is that I plan to apply for a retitrement visa ( very soon) , live in the Kingdom for 8  to 9 months a year - in a semi comatose state, and then spend 2 or 3 months working overseas. But, at no time will I work in Thailand. Under these part-time working arrangements, would I still quaify for a retirement visa  ?

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What reporting fee? No report to immigration has a fee unless you are late doing them and then it is fine.

The 1900 baht is for extensions and you only have to do that once a year.

Possibly he was referring to the reentry pass you can purchase at the airport, don't know but I will definitely do that next time with a non-O based on retirement.

31 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Possibly he was referring to the reentry pass you can purchase at the airport, don't know but I will definitely do that next time with a non-O based on retirement.

It's an extension of stay based on retirement (not a Visa).

Re-entry permits are single 1,000 baht, multiple 3,800 baht.