best embassy for non o for retirement- Vientiane or Penang?

I put my headline into the search function and just got a load of threads about tourist visas. Sorry if already answered, but I did try.

Within 6 months, I may have to obtain a non o based on retirement, and would like to know which place is easiest to get one at. I am not yet certain as to whether to get a single or multiple entry.

I understand that I do not have to have 800,000 in a Thai bank to get one. Just be over 50.

I appreciate that the answers will be opinions, but welcome. I have been to Penang, but never to Vientiane.

Thanks for any help.

You will need the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k to apply for a non-o visa.

Penang will want proof you are retired along with 800k in the bank. People used a income letter from there along with there bank book to prove they are retired. Penang will do a multiple entry non-o visa.

Vientiane will only do a single entry visa. They will want a bank letter along with a bank book showing the 800k baht.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need the 800k baht in the bank on the date you apply or proof of 65k baht or a combination of the 2 totaling 800k to apply for a non-o visa.

Penang will want proof you are retired along with 800k in the bank. People used a income letter from there along with there bank book to prove they are retired. Penang will do a multiple entry non-o visa.

Vientiane will only do a single entry visa. They will want a bank letter along with a bank book showing the 800k baht.

Just a couple of clarifications.

How do you prove you are retired?

Does the 800k have to be in a Thai bank in Thai baht or can it be the equivalent in another currency in an overseas bank?

Will Penang issue the visa on an annual basis or is it restricted to one or more times?

Thanks!

ubonjoe gave you good factual information on what the process is here in Thailand.

Listen to him he knows what he is speaking about.

As you go through the process of getting a one year retirement/extension  based on retirement in Thailand you will find that to be true by your experience yourself.

I know because I have been there myself.

Comment;  Personally I would choose Vientianne as I have limited mobility, and Penang has 4 steps you must go up and down into to get served. Fine if you are young nd healthy, but if like me you have limited disability those 4 steps with no handhold to hold are a problem.

You see, I have been both places personally.

Edited by IMA_FARANG
Added a coment
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mngmn said:

Just a couple of clarifications.

Does the 800k have to be in a Thai bank in Thai baht or can it be the equivalent in another currency in an overseas bank?

Will Penang issue the visa on an annual basis or is it restricted to one or more times?

Thanks!

As I wrote some people have used a income letter from their embassy as proof the have a retirement income. You could also use proof you have a pension income.

Vientiane will expect it to be a Thai bank. Penang may issue one with a bank statement from  a non Thai bank.

If you get a multiple entry non-o visa they would likely issue another one. But if you can show the financial proof to get one you could apply for an extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration instead  of needing to leave the country every 90 days to get a new entry from the visa.

They issue the non-o visa under the impression that you will be applying for the extension at immigration.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mngmn said:

I think he meant that you have savings and/or a regular source of verifiable income and not likely to be seeking employment in Thailand. Even if you are receiving state or work-related pensions, that wouldn't necessarily mean you've stopped working entirely outside of Thailand... although for most people that would imply that they had.

I am a single retired 70yr old,I currently live in the Philippines. and I plan to retire in Thailand.Either Chiang Mai or U don Thani.I do not have 800k to put into a Thai bank,but I do have more than 65k for monthly income.can be verified by US Embassy.what I like to know is what visa can I apply for while in Thailand? What do I need to first in order to get a retirement visa.Thank You.

Chiang Mai or udon thani..most likely cm.I know its a tourist town.has great medical tho.udon is more laid back.even more cheaper than cm I guess.1970-1975 I lived in Udon ,NKP,and ubon.Bangkok to humidity,smells,expensive,crowed be like living manila..besides i have a daughter and grand kids that live in korat.

any ideal which visa to get??

1 hour ago, mudlips said:

I am a single retired 70yr old,I currently live in the Philippines. and I plan to retire in Thailand.Either Chiang Mai or U don Thani.I do not have 800k to put into a Thai bank,but I do have more than 65k for monthly income.can be verified by US Embassy.what I like to know is what visa can I apply for while in Thailand? What do I need to first in order to get a retirement visa.Thank You.

You can apply for ane extension of stay (not a visa)  based upon retirement at a immigration office here using a income affidavit to prove your 65k baht income you would do at the the US embassy in Bangkok or the consulate in Chiang Mai.

You would need a  non immigrant visa entry to apply for the extension. You might be able to get a single entry non-o visa at the Thai embassy in Manila by proving your income. If not you could get a single entry tourist visa and change it to a non immigrant visa entry at immigration in Bangkok or Chiang Mai. Or if in Udon Thani make a trip to Vientiane Laos and get a single entry non-o visa  by showing your income affidavit to get a single entry non- o visa at the Thai embassy there.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Comment;  Personally I would choose Vientianne as I have limited mobility, and Penang has 4 steps you must go up and down into to get served. Fine if you are young nd healthy, but if like me you have limited disability those 4 steps with no handhold to hold are a problem.

You see, I have been both places personally.

I have found the security people to be very helpful in Penang, but in Vientianne you can just pay an agent to do all the work for you, hand him your passport and papers and pay 1000thb or so and he will do all the work for you and come to your hotel next day to hand you your passport with new visa.

1 hour ago, farang241 said:

I have found the security people to be very helpful in Penang, but in Vientianne you can just pay an agent to do all the work for you, hand him your passport and papers and pay 1000thb or so and he will do all the work for you and come to your hotel next day to hand you your passport with new visa.

I found exactly the same at Penang, and supplied my embassy income paper work,picked up nonO single next day,no problems. Don't go to an agent, no need if all the tees crossed and Is dotted.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Can I just clarify the issue of providing proof of retirement if you are in the 50-65 age group. My friend is single and in this age group and will be going to Penang or Vientiane to get his first non O base on retirement with a view to getting a 12m retirement extension. He has just managed to open a Thai bank account on his tourist visa and is about to deposit B800k for these visa/extension applications.

He does have cash savings but does not have a private pension / state pension / rental income / or income from any other source so cannot obtain an Income Letter to use as ''proof of retirement''. Is this going to be a problem?! If so can you suggest any other way to prove he intends to retire in Thailand and not to work?

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:19 AM, ubonjoe said:

Thanks Ubonjoe for your info in this thread. Following my post just realised you might have provided the answer in your first post? My friend is 61 and wants to apply for a non O first followed by 12m extension. He doesn't have state pension or income flow so cant provide an Income Letter as ''proof of retirement'' required for non O from Penang.

You say that Vientiane only require a Bank Letter and Bank Book showing 800k proof of income - does this mean that Vientiane don't require any additional ''proof of retirement''?

By Bank Letter do you mean a letter from his bank confirming that he is the account holder or does it also have to confirm his fund balance also? He is planning to deposit the B800k shortly. 

10 hours ago, virgomjh said:

You say that Vientiane only require a Bank Letter and Bank Book showing 800k proof of income - does this mean that Vientiane don't require any additional ''proof of retirement''?

By Bank Letter do you mean a letter from his bank confirming that he is the account holder or does it also have to confirm his fund balance also? He is planning to deposit the B800k shortly. 

Vientiane does not ask for proof you are retired.

The letter from the bank confirms the account and the balance on the date it is written. The bank book also confirms the balance in the account.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2017 at 3:16 AM, virgomjh said:

Thanks Ubonjoe for your info in this thread. Following my post just realised you might have provided the answer in your first post? My friend is 61 and wants to apply for a non O first followed by 12m extension. He doesn't have state pension or income flow so cant provide an Income Letter as ''proof of retirement'' required for non O from Penang.

As I see it the only "proof" required is to be over 50. The "proof" is required when not having 800,000 in a Thai bank to prove correct income.

On 2/15/2017 at 0:43 AM, mudlips said:

Chiang Mai or udon thani..most likely cm.I know its a tourist town.has great medical tho.udon is more laid back.even more cheaper than cm I guess.1970-1975 I lived in Udon ,NKP,and ubon.Bangkok to humidity,smells,expensive,crowed be like living manila..besides i have a daughter and grand kids that live in korat.

any ideal which visa to get??

I strongly suggest you go live in C M for at least a month before committing to live there ( if I had to live there permanently I'd be "committed" to a mental institution for terminal boredom ). I prefer Pattaya, but if you don't like the city life Jomptien or Hua Hin may be a better alternative. I can't compare Udon etc. as never been to those places, but I very much doubt they would be the same now as in the 70s. 

The immigration department in C M is well known for all the wrong reasons. You could check out the thread about it in the C M forum.

However, C M has it's enthusiasts, which is why I recommend giving it at least a month before deciding.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Vientiane does not ask for proof you are retired.

The letter from the bank confirms the account and the balance on the date it is written. The bank book also confirms the balance in the account.

I passed on your comments to my friend and he is very grateful for your information - he was planning to go to Penang for his non O but he will be heading to Vientiane instead when his current TV expires.

At that date his 800k will only have been in his new Thai bank for approx. 6 weeks. You did say in your post above that you need to show 800k on deposit at the date of the application, but just to be sure - is there a minimum period that the funds have to deposited prior to the date of the application for a non O?

Just out of interest - what is required for a TV to non O conversion within Thailand - would proof of 800k with a bank book and bank letter be sufficient for a conversion, or is an Income Letter required as ''proof of retirement'' as Penang?

If a TV to non O conversion is an option, would that be easier for my friend or indeed the OP than flying out? Which would you recommend? 

56 minutes ago, virgomjh said:

At that date his 800k will only have been in his new Thai bank for approx. 6 weeks. You did say in your post above that you need to show 800k on deposit at the date of the application, but just to be sure - is there a minimum period that the funds have to deposited prior to the date of the application for a non O?

No minimum period for it to be in the bank.

56 minutes ago, virgomjh said:

Just out of interest - what is required for a TV to non O conversion within Thailand - would proof of 800k with a bank book and bank letter be sufficient for a conversion, or is an Income Letter required as ''proof of retirement'' as Penang?

He could do change of visa status to get 90 day non immigrant visa entry (category O) at some immigration offices. No need for a income letter if he has the money in the bank. He would need at least 15 days remaining on his entry to apply for it.

Where is he located?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

No minimum period for it to be in the bank.

He could do change of visa status to get 90 day non immigrant visa entry (category O) at some immigration offices. No need for a income letter if he has the money in the bank. He would need at least 15 days remaining on his entry to apply for it.

Where is he located?

Thanks for this - it does sound like a viable option to flying out to Vientiane again!

He is located in Nakhon Si Thammarat. His TV expires 7th April but the office there was very 'unfriendly' last visit and said they would not give him a 30 day extension due to number of previous extension applications he has made there. You kindly replied to my post on this and suggested this was a one off and he should try a different office. So its probably better not to try applying there for a conversion if there is an option!

Where is his closest best option for a TV conversion, and will it be an issue applying outside his area of residence? Your advice is very much appreciated!

10 hours ago, virgomjh said:

Thanks for this - it does sound like a viable option to flying out to Vientiane again!

He is located in Nakhon Si Thammarat. His TV expires 7th April but the office there was very 'unfriendly' last visit and said they would not give him a 30 day extension due to number of previous extension applications he has made there. You kindly replied to my post on this and suggested this was a one off and he should try a different office. So its probably better not to try applying there for a conversion if there is an option!

Where is his closest best option for a TV conversion, and will it be an issue applying outside his area of residence? Your advice is very much appreciated!

There are no offices in the south of the country that can do the conversion. He would have to go to Bangkok to apply for it and it requires 2 trips to get the visa /entry stamps 15 days apart.

Penang would be the best place to get his non-o visa if he could get some document to prove he is retired.

Hi Joe, 

As this thread got a bit long and convoluted for me, let me please check on what I think I know-

I went to Hanoi a few months back and got a single entry Non-O. 

I did not need 800K in the bank for three months when applying, and the 3 month's seasoning of 800K is only necessary when you go to extend with your reason being "retirement".

Yes?

Vietnam has a "thing" going with the US so they charge US citizens $150 for a visa, which is a drag, but otherwise Hanoi is great. Went to the Thai Embassy and was out in 15 minutes, then went back to pick up my visa the next day, and I was out in about 5 minutes. Can't beat the service! :-) So, depending on where people currently are, I would highly suggest Hanoi as a good place to go. 

And now that I have my brain at least partially in gear....

Let me write some here, and make sure I am not confusing myself...

I got my SE Non-O on 13 Oct. 2016

I went out of the country on Dec. 28th 2016 and thus extended my visa early  (Dec. 14th) and at that time I extended my visa for reasons of retirement. My extension was a SE.

I came back into the country on Jan. 4. 2017 and my next reporting is March 13, 2017

(I know you explained this to me once before Joe,  but...) Why does my extension of stay say it is good until Jan. 14, 2018?

I was thinking it would perhaps be Dec. 13, 2017

??

By when will I need 800K in the bank again for three months of seasoning?

Thanks as always. 

On 2/14/2017 at 7:19 AM, ubonjoe said:

Can we get "o" visa in Thailand or must we go out?  I thought I read we could get at imergration in Bangkok now   I turn 50 in May 

I have been reading through and i am slightly confused. I am a UK expat heading out to Khon Kaen on Single Entry Tourist Visa for 60 days. I am hoping to extend this to 90 days whilst in country. Now, I have been thinking of retirement visa, but was told by local thai Consulate in UK that I would have to return to UK to get it from London. However, reading this thread has led me to understand that I don't have to return to UK.

Would someone be able to give me anymore more clarification on this. Thanks in advance