Chain Lube

croftrobin

My cousin has a new bike and I told him to get a good chain lube as I see many poorly cared for chains in Thailand.

I used to use a spray lube when I was younger in another country

Can anyone reconmend a make here in Thailand and/or stick up a picture of it and say where you bought it.

Thanks

The spray lubes are available at all bike shops in my experience.

Various brands and quality is reflected in price. The products these days stick to the chain better than the old stuff so less throws off onto you and/or the bike. 

You've given your cousin good advice. Looking after chains is often neglected with many smaller bikes even having them enclosed making maintenance more difficult. The result of taking care of a chain is that sprocket teeth don't wear poorly, and vice versa.

Try Wurth dry chain lube, if you can find it.

I got some off of Face book awhile back but haven't seen it advertised for awhile.

With that can just about finished i have now got some Wrap lube 71

Haven't tried it as yet, so cant comment on it.

Wrap lube 71 is readily available at many motorcycle accessory shops.

Normal price is 390 Baht. 

wurth-dry-lube-554405.jpg

spd_20150305141215_b.jpg

Try Wurth dry chain lube, if you can find it.

I got some off of Face book awhile back but haven't seen it advertised for awhile.

With that can just about finished i have now got some Wrap lube 71

Haven't tried it as yet, so cant comment on it.

Wrap lube 71 is readily available at many motorcycle accessory shops.

Normal price is 390 Baht. 

wurth-dry-lube-554405.thumb.jpg.8da7cc83f39575c24d541b94749d77ee.jpg

spd_20150305141215_b.jpg.1e6dc7f7836182f0640460409f9488fa.jpg

I got the Wurth cleaner at Dr Big Bike, BKK but it was a while ago. It does 'fling' a bit though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In Thailand I use Repsol Moto Chain (290 Baht). When overseas, I pick up Chain Wax which is prohibitively expensive here.

But the key thing to get is a brush and some chain cleaner if you want your chain to last. Otherwise you are just spraying chain lube on to a gunk mixture of dirt and old lube.

Also beware the fairly constant Thai thinking that more is better. You don't need to use much as most of it will end up on the floor or the back wheel or around the front sprocket....

Edited by Briggsy

Motel do a good one and is easier to find.  Sticks well,  about, 600 a can but it lasts well. 

Like a previous poster said,  clean your chain with a brush first.  I use a paint brush with half the bristles cut off.  I use a degreaser I can get but kerosene works well and may be easier to find. 

Obviously keep it well adjusted too,  I got 16000 k's on my 900 twin and it's like new still. 

Oh and as for using motor oil it's fine if you don't mid it flinging off every where and washing off in the first wet ride.  I've used cheap lubes before and had my chain bone dry and rusting after a long wet ride.  Its OK on a wave with enclosed chain but not OK on a big bike on an extended trip! 

On August 10, 2016 at 4:35 PM, Bung said:

Good to see some cheaper alternatives getting good reviews to the 600 baht motul I use. I have 4 "big" bikes to look after. 

The tall can of Motul, a white lube, right ? It lasts forever with just a light application. It consider it very good value.

I had one can and never saw it again, I noticed a new motul supplier down this way last week, fingers-X'd because I'm using Motorex lube and just washes off in the lightest of showers.

• 6 months later...

I've even tried Dextron - mainly for the capillary benefits, even though it's washed out from the next rain

which, with some insight, one can see the 'D' as more of an immediate effect 'anti-squeak treatment'

Edited by tifino

19 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Back in the day - before O ring chains, used to clean chain, wind into a coffee can, fill with gear out, heat, let cool, hang to drip, reinstall.

But am lazy now - want a spray for the convenience but without the fling.

Even better try with melted paraffin wax/ candle wax.

Gear out oil stinks.

papa prefer vanilla scented.

On 2/16/2017 at 1:58 PM, VocalNeal said:

Do you do a lot of multi-day touring?

Home-made 'auto' oiler on ceeber.

~200baht in parts.

Give it a squirt every 50-100km.//

&

before & after exposure to water//

e.g., rain, carwash.

On 2/20/2017 at 0:00 PM, papa al said:

Home-made 'auto' oiler on ceeber.

~200baht in parts.

Give it a squirt every 50-100km.//

&

before & after exposure to water//

e.g., rain, carwash.

OK I was going to give you one but if you've already got one. No worries...