Do You Think I Have It Covered?

I would just like some last minute advice, on getting a tourist visa for my thai girlfriend to visit the u.k. She is going to pattaya for a few weeks, in the next week to stay with a friend and apply for the visa and wait for the interniew date to come up. I want her to come to the uk in september.

I have kept all letters, emails, phone bills receipts from holidays, travel plans, letters to show my income, letter of sponsorship, photos, receipts of money deposited in her account every month, copies of my passport, i have wrote a letter stating i will be travelling with her from and back to thailand.

It is her first time applying for a visa. What are my chances?

She has no job as i have paid for her to stay home with her family and work there.

Will this be a problem as she has no regular income from a job?

And no real good enough reason to state she will return to los apart from to take care of family. Is this good enough?

Could i appeal if she was refused?

Is there anything else i can do to show she will return?

Are there any tips from anyone to improve my chances of getting the visa first time?

Any help/tips or advice would be welcomed.

:o

She has no job as i have paid for her to stay home with her family and work there.

Will this be a problem as she has no regular income from a job?

And no real good enough reason to state she will return to los apart from to take care of family. Is this good enough?

I'm not sure what the requirements are for the UK, but getting to the USA would be very, very difficult under the above circumstances (maybe impossible). Even showing a house registration is not enough. The evidence needs to be compelling. Taking care of a family isn't enough.

I recommend contacting the British Embassy in Bangkok (or looking at their website) to get more info.

FROND

From Stickman's weekly column (2-May-04)

Rumours abound of how difficult it is for a Thai woman to get a visa to go abroad, with the American embassy supposedly the most difficult of all.  An Aussie friend took his girlfriend along to his embassy recently where they applied for a tourist visa for her.  He didn't think it would be granted because once upon a time she had worked at Soi Cowboy.  He thought he'd give it a go nonetheless.  When preparing his girlfriend for it all, he told her that he felt that it would be best just to be honest about her background, and if she was asked about her employment history, to mention that she had, for a very short time, worked in the industry.  They had various documents to show that he was quite capable of looking after her financially and they also had a number of photo albums to show that they have been a couple for some time, and that they have toured all over the Kingdom together.  To cut a long story short, she was totally honest in the interview about where they met and this notwithstanding, the tourist visa was granted.  Thumbs up to the Aussie Embassy.  Funnily enough, I heard of another couple who applied at the Aussie Embassy for the same type of visa and lied about where they met and guess what, the visa was declined!

I personally do not think the US Embassy could be a good example. Getting a visa there is too difficult. No one can guarantee your girlfriend's visa will be granted, BIG. But now, you both are well prepared. Just give it a shot.

If I got it right, tourist visa is non appealable. Good luck. :o

thanks cutie! where do you get all this info from? i search and search and ask question after question. Thanks for being a big help and answering me with the things i need to know and not some half arsed attempt at being funny like some people seem to write.

A tourist visa is harder to obtain than a marriage/fiancee` visa in some ways and easier in others. When my then girlfriend applied for a tourist visa , the emphasis was to to prove that she would return , had something to return to.

When she applied for a marriage visa , the emphasis was to prove that we were in love and that she wouldn't leave after gaining Indefinite leave to remain.

It's easier to show evidence of something to return to, than evidence that you are in Love.

Some proof ( or fake proof) that she has a job to return to will help.

Have a look at the website Thai-uk

They deal only in Thai/Uk visa relations.

Good Luck

Her not working in Thailand could be a BIG problem as they want assurances that she will return but hey sometimes folk get lucky!!!

A Tourist Visa refusal does have right of appeal BUT only if the person is visiting a family member which in this case as your GF is not applicable!!!

You might get lucky, you never know!! However some nationalities have a harder time applying for Visa's and Thai is one of them, to be honest I know many people that have been turned down for tourist visas but face less probs with a fiance visa!!! strange really, officialdom gone mad!!!

could i apply for a fiance visa instead and not actually get married? what would this envolve?

The simplest way of not getting married is not giving notice of intention to marry at the registry office one week after she arrives (which ought to be the first step if you are contemplating marrying her) and also failing to arrange for the banns to be called. Banns are something of a minority taste nowadays. :o

For the fiancée visa, your girlfriend needs to demonstrate that you two together will have the ability to accommodate and maintain yourselves before and after the marriage without recourse to public funds and persuade them that you two intend to marry. You were going to let her see your bank statements, weren't you? (You can't send her to work at MacDonalds or get her a cleaning job until she gets her further leave to remain (FLR) after submitting the paperwork when you marry. She is unlikely to have any difficulty persuading the ECO you will be sharing a bed before you marry.)

Follow the information and hints given to Mon. I have heard that the sequence of failing with a visitor's application and then succeeding with a fiancée visa described as a racket run by the Visa Section.

The problem with fiancée visas is that you may not be able to use them regularly for your girlfriend. Would you want to, anyway? Are you set on not marrying her?

Dont say that!!!!!!

I need advice and assurance it will be a success!

Are there any success stories out there? Any one actually got the visa 1st Time?

Hey, sorry Big Spuds, I surely don't mean to come off as negative. I'm in a similar boat as you. At the moment I'm wading through pages upon pages of immigrant/non-immigrant laws and application forms to get my soon-to-be wife to the US for a one month visit next April.

How could anyone assure you of success? It's not up to "us." If so, I'd give you girl a visa! :o

Good luck man.

BIG,

its ok. BIG chances actually. I was in London in september and my girlfriend applied for visa to UK. I had papers like you, only diffrence is that she had a job, and a paper from the employer that she was only for vacation. She got visa for the period she applied (airticket bookings)

First time out from Thai for her. NO problem at all. I didnt have that much income either then!

Same happend next time, in december, we went to Norway. Schengen!!!

90 days visa, as simple as that. that time it was no letter from employer.

Just be sure to dress proper as usual and act nice in the embassy. Your letters and info is important.

Have a nice trip! I was in London last week. Rain cats and dogs, but getting better now!

c ya!

I thought she applied first by post or whatever then waited for interview date?

In my opinion, she'd better go to the Embassy and submit the application herself. It looks better that way.

thanks cutie,

but as she is stopping in pattaya in the next few days, does that mean she will have to go to bangkok submit, return to pattaya than wait for interview?

If she gets refused when and how often could she re apply, like i said if she goes in a weeks or so gets refused can she keep trying until i return in september (as thats when i want to bring her back) ?( obviously trying to put right what we were refused on)

but as she is stopping in pattaya in the next few days, does that mean she will have to go to bangkok submit, return to pattaya than wait for interview?

Yep. Pattaya is only two hours away from here. So, shouldn't be a problem? I'm not certain about the days she will have to wait for the interview though. My sister had to wait for two weeks for the interview.

If she gets refused when and how often could she re apply, like i said if she goes in a weeks or so gets refused can she keep trying until i return in september (as thats when i want to bring her back) ?( obviously trying to put right what we were refused on)

I can only say, from what I've heard, one should be able to re-apply after 3-6 months. So, she cannot keep trying every week or every month.

if I remember correctly, my GF applied in person, and had the visa one hour later, yes it was like that.

;-)

Wow ... she must have been classy and handled herself well Thomas. Good one :o

:D yes she's. Thats why shes my Teerak. :D

Hi Big Spuds,

Is a student visa a option for you in the UK. If so a student visa can be longer than 3 months and can be extended to accomidate futher study. There are a lot of asia nationals come to learn English. Good Luck

SPUDS , as per my first post , have a look at Thai-uk , they deal exclusively in Thai-uk visa situations. Some of the info.advice from here isn't relevant to UK visa's , as per Thomas , whom I imagine is from Norway?

When the application is made for a visa interview , the interview date is usually 2-4 weeks afterwards.

Heres an example of the questions she would be asked if applying for a fiancee visa. Hope they help!

Fiancé Visa Questions

1. Are you fit and well and ready for interview?

2. Do you understand and speak English?

3. Which language do you wish to be interviewed in? The interpreter will translate only the questions I ask she will not ask you any questions directly.

4. If you do not understand any question say so. Please answer the questions truthfully and make your answers clear.

5. What type of entry clearance are you applying for?

6. Are you married?

7. Are you married now?

8. Who are you marrying?

9.When did you meet?

10. When?

11. How?

12. How did your friend know him?

13. Where did you meet?

14. Were you working in Pattaya?

15. Was that a beauty salon where the men take women out?

16. Your Salary?

17. Can I see your bank books?

18. Is this your first foreign boyfriend?

19. Do you have any relatives abroad?

20. When do you plan to marry?

21. Where?

22. Are you currently working?

23. Where?

24. Do you have your telephone bills here?

25. Need to see yours and bank statements you can bring them at a later date?

26. Do you have up to date bank a/c for your boyfriend?

27. If you have them then why did you not bring them?

28. You have a list of things you had to bring and you brought the old ones so why not the new ones, that is not logical to bring out of date ones and not the new ones if you have them.

29. Where will you be living in the UK?

30. Whose house?

31. Who is Mrs ********?

32. Will you be living with son?

33. Does the lodger still stay at the premises?

34. There is another person at the house now apart from Mrs ****** are they still there?

35. Did your b/f say there will be 2 people in the house when you go to the UK.

36. But the Housing association state that the other person must move out before you can move in?

37. What are your monthly expenses?

38. What do you spend it on?

39. Your b/f has been sending you ***** baht regularly, every month, how come this is not enough for your expenses?

40. You do not need to pay a money pool, why need to pay that?

41. When did he start sending you money regularly?

42. How much each time?

44. How come you spend so much money if he is giving you £*** a month and you have only expenses of £***?

45. Why did you not tell him?

46. Do you have medical bills at home you can bring in?

47. Why did you not buy a passport when he sent you money first time?

48. He sent you money specifically for the passport why did you not buy it?

49. That is not what you told him you said you spent it on Songkran and bills?

50. How much is in you account now?

51. Where did £**** between Nov and June go, that is double your normal expenditure?

52. What does your b/f do?

53. Where does he live?

54. Where in ******?

55. States here he lines in *******? (Somewhere different and totally incorrect)

56. What does he do in his spare time? (What spare time)

57. In English tell me about him?

58. OK

59. Tell me about his likes and dislikes personality what attracted you to him anything like that.

60. How do you communicate?

61. What words do you speak?

62. What do you say?

63. No other communication?

64. Who writes your emails?

65. Married before?

66. When did you divorce?

67. When last see previous husband?

68. Boyfriend married before?

69. Can I see his divorce certificate?

70. Tell me in Thai why you decided to marry?

71. What attracted you to him?

72. What initially attracted you to him?

73. Still Fit & Well?

74. Understood all Questions?

75. Anything to add?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note that many of the questions above relate purely to the member concerned. No two interviews will ever be alike.

A few more exapmles...

1. What is your husbands family name

2. When is your husbands Birthday and how old is he?

3. Where will you live in England?

4. Does your husbands have any brothers or sisters?

5. What is your husbands Mothers name?

6. What is your husbands Fathers name?

7. What company does he work for?

8. What sort of things do you talk about on the phone?

9. Is the language a problem?

And here a few more:

General:

1. Is this your first visit overseas?

2. Is this your first and only passport?

3. How long do you intend to stay in UK?

4. Why do you want to go to UK?

5. I suppose if you get your visa, you'll be looking forward to a new life in the UK?

6. Would you still have married your husband if you could not live in UK?

7. What will you do if this visa is refused?

Meeting Questions:

8. When did you first meet your partner?

9. How did you meet your husband?

10. Did you stay with him when you met?

11. So how long were you with him?

12. Did he write or call you?

13. When was his first letter to you?

14. Do you have any photos to show me?

15. When did your husband propose to you?

Family Questions:

16. Have either of you been married before?

17. Do you have any children?

18. Does your husband have children from a previous relationship?

19. Where are your children now?

20. Does your husband support them?

21. So, if we grant you a settlement visa today and you fly to England to live with your husband, what will happen to your children?

Accommodation Questions:

22. Where do you live?

23. Do you know if it's okay for your husband to have a second person living in his apartment?

24. Why should you live in UK?

25. When did you decide to live in the UK?

26. Did you agree to marry your husband only if you could live in the UK?

Financial Questions:

27. What does your husband do for his job?

28. Do you know how much he earns for his salary?

29. Does he send you money?

30. How much and how often does he send the money?

31. Do you think that your husband will be able to take good financial care of you and your children?

General Questions:

32. What religion is he?

33. What are your husband's hobbies or pastimes?

34. What do you have in common with each other?

35. What do you like about him?

36. What is the real reason why you want to marry him?

37. How do you feel about the differences in your culture?

38. Have you understood all the questions?

39. Do you have anything else to add?

Heres a list of documents you should aim to supply.

This applie to someone who is divorced and looking to re-marry , you can delete as appropriate.

CONTENTS

INTRODUCTION

 Letter from Applicant

 Letter from Sponsor

 Correspondence with Entry Clearance Manager

APPLICATION FORM VAF2

 Completed Application Form

 Passport Size Recent Photographs

 Receipt for application fee

KEY DOCUMENTS – APPLICANT

 Summary

 Passport

 ID Card

 Marriage Certificate

 Birth Certificate

 Police Report

 Qualifications

 Employment History

 Financial Details

KEY DOCUMENTS – SPONSOR

 Summary

 Full Copy of Passport

 Affirmation of Freedom to Marry

 Decree Absolute

 Letter confirming Marriage Annulment

 Birth Certificate

 Qualifications

FINANCIAL SUPPORT

 Summary

 Letter from Employer

 Wage Slips

 P60 End of Year Certificates

 Bank Statements

 Saving Account Statement

 Local Government Pension Statement

 Life Insurance Cover

 Mortgage Payment History

ADEQUACY OF ACCOMMODATION

 Summary

 Letter from Local Authority

 Description of House (Recent Sales Particulars)

 Mortgage Survey Report

 Letter from Conveyancer Confirming Title

 Letter from Mortgage Provider

 Buildings & Contents Insurance Cover

 Council Tax Bill

 Utlilty Bills/Correspondence

EVIDENCE OF CONTACT

 Summary

 Travel, Hotel & Photographs for 3 Visits

 Landline and Mobile Phone Bills

 Phone Card Details

 E-mails

 Letters & Cards to Applicant

 Letters & Cards to Sponsor

 Gifts

Thanks mate, its a lot of help, but it seems like the above really relates to getting married and staying in the U.k.

But as you said some of the questions will apply thanks again mate. I really hope she gets it, i cant stop thinking about it, and if i have every thing covered.