Minivan owners warned - beware fake GPS

webfact

Minivan owners warned - beware fake GPS

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- Owners of minivans ordered by the land department to fit GPS tracking systems have been warned to beware of fakes.

Rogue companies may want a slice of the 50 million baht pie.

The warning came from Olarn Klongchit of East Innovation Co Ltd that is one of the companies approved to fit the system on the vehicles, reported Daily News.

The land department has ordered vans plying routes out of Bangkok to the provinces of less than 300 kilometers to fit the systems before the end of March. The move follows many accidents and is seen as a way of making the vans safer.

Olarn said that his company charged 6,500 baht for the system and it could be fitted in an hour. The system was meticulously checked by his firm he said so that all information such as driver details and speed could be followed by the land department head office online.

He said that prior to the new regulations being announced there were only 30 companies fitting the systems but since the announcement another 100 had been approved and 20 had been turned down.

He said that minivan operators should be careful to check the credentials of companies to make sure they were reputable as there were GPS fakes out there.

Some 7,500 of the country's 15,000 vans are expected to be fitted with the devices.

This would make the business worth more than 48 million baht to various companies.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-02-16

Sounds like the price mentioned for the unit may be excessive as it looked to me as 40 to 50 dollar  is going price. then you have to figure monthly fee per unit to keep up with your hot rods. The sad part of the program is,  its still the same nut behind the wheel. Guess you will know when and where they crash and burn and not have to depend on individuals giving unconformed directions.

Sometimes you have to take small steps to keep your new shoes clean, once broke in your more assured and confortable. I hope this has a positive effect on lowering road deaths

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The system was meticulously checked by his firm he said so that all information such as driver details and speed could be followed by the land department head office online.

That might the problem the drivers have with the system.

It works.

1 minute ago, FredNL said:

Land of fakes.

1. fake rice
  2. fake designer bags
  3. fake designer sunglasses
  4. fake designer watches
  5. fake police
  6. fake monks
  7. fake women
  8. fake software
  9. fake gps
  10. fake lottery tickets
  11. fake degrees

9,999,999. fake ...

You forgot the PM's fake news.

Some 7,500 of the country's 15,000 vans
are expected to be fitted with the devices..........

Why only half are expected to be fitted with GPS?

Presumably the drivers of the remainder know where they are going?

6 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

I believe only the ones that drive between provinces need a GPS tracker.

8 minutes ago, doremifasol said:

With 130 places to fit them... that's 5  or 6 units per business.... not my idea of a winning business venture

what this system really needs in addition to the GPS is TWO dash cams, one pointed out the windshield and one pointed at the driver at all times.

and maybe a third pointing to the rear...

and maybe one pointed straight up. this is Thailand after all.

Edited by NCC1701A

Wonder who and why 20 companies were turned down for application to install the  units? Who monitors the units ( when they are on the road and who recieves the monthly  fee that is normally associated with this service? I have seldom seen anything done here by civil servants for nothing, look for the rat hole where 7500 _+ bank notes of some sum will disappear into a private account of someone who is involved and has access to any funds. The temptation to get something for nothing is just too great for many to resist, legal or illegal never enters the ''should I'' part of the thought process.

he warning came from Olarn Klongchit of East Innovation Co Ltd that is one of the companies approved to fit the system

I think that says it all

How to fit a tracker, I can fit one to your car without you knowing in 5 seconds and its top of the range

Your  mother can fit one to your vehicle while she also drinks a cup of coffee

and if you do not believe me check this

http://trojantrackers.com/how-to-fit-gps-tracking-device/

No rocket science to do that

Edited by wakeupplease

• 2 weeks later...