Relocating to Thailand, Few questions

xFury

One point to think about when selling and rebuying in Thailand. Its not how much your stuff is worth against how much it costs for a container to ship over.

Its how much it will cost to replace in Thailand against the cost of shipping over.

Furniture isn't cheap in Thailand.

Another rarity in that the OP got a myriad of responses none filled with sarcasm or negativity but showing genuine assistanceto a man in need, kudos to you all.

i made a truly stupid mistake when I moved here  I put all my guitars, amps, furniture he goods the lot into storage ( the idea was to source a bigger place here and ship it over using the current Mrs Dark Lords returning Thai citizen status. 

Never got round to it. 

Still paying £400 per month and most of the gurniture was brand spanking new.

i am off back to visit my ailing matriarch shortly and will dig at least the clothes and guitars out. So a cry for help from all my fellows on TVFif you are going back to Blighty later on this year and would be anywhere near Cobham (Surrey) during your stay and would be willing to bring a guitar back out here ( I will pay a reasonable pre negotiated fee for your efforts) I will pick it up from you at swampy on your arrival. 

I have swanned through swampy several times with one guitar in its case but no problems.

hope to hear from y'all

Wow, gotta say that you guys are awesome again! All this post has been really helpful! Gonna be staying at my family house so they have a room available and some furniture too, I'll just buy a new desk and chairs. Plus most of my furniture are from Ikea and someone posted that they have Ikea in Thailand!

I went ahead and gonna sell most of my stuff and just bring along clothes, shoes, laptop, computer parts, console system and such. And sell my furniture and mattress (hopefully Thailand has Memory foam mattress lol). All those stuff combined is not even more than the shipping (Beside electronics items, which I can take in the luggage.).

Good info on the computer power voltage also, forgot that mines does 220/240v also. Gonna purchase the parts here instead, and buy the monitor, keyboard and case in Thailand instead and build it myself.

Gonna try to get the Thai DL when I can, since I have the Thai ID card already. Just gotta study the laws for driving again, and I did noticed that Thai's drive a lot different than in the states lol, which I can adjust too. Gotta need to get a Motorcycle License also, since that is some of the transportation a lot of people use.

Gonna look into health care, since I want to get some dental work and make sure I'm healthy there.

Also, before I book the flight and leave, is there anything else I need to do?

I'm looking forward to the move and eating actual Thai food and KFC Wing Zapp again lol

Thank you again for all the info and help!

Edited by xFury

Re other things, it kind of depends on whether you were well-established in the U.S. or just staying there temporarily before. And also, where your income is going to be coming from moving forward, the U.S. or Thailand?

If you were well established in the U.S., you might need to consider the following kinds of issues:

On 2/17/2017 at 10:49 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

--make sure you set up your preferred method for keeping phone contact with the U.S., including receiving U.S. banking SMSs.

--If you have income from the U.S. and U.S. bank/credit card accounts, make sure you identify no foreign currency fee options.

--if you have things you expect to be receiving via U.S. mail while in Thailand, make sure you make arrangements for those to be forwarded to you and/or identify and make arrangements with a commercial mail forwarding service.

On 2/17/2017 at 0:08 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, computer furniture is a definite thing to leave behind.

But laptops and actual portable computer equipment are good things to bring along, because laptops typically have AC adapters than can handle Thai 220v electricity and U.S. 110V power. And generally, you can buy and get comparable laptops in the U.S. for much better prices than buying in Thailand.  Same holds true for most portable electronics.

Just be aware that apart from dual voltage laptops, other U.S. 110V electronics are likely to need a step down transformer to handle Thai 220V electricity. I brought a couple with me when I moved. But they also can be purchased in Thailand at the Amorn electronics shops and elsewhere, if needed.

So take that in consideration when deciding what electronics you want to bring, and what ones you want to leave behind.

Electronics are very expensive here.

Do not use your US passport to enter Thailand. Make sure you have at least 6 months remaining on your Thai passport. 

You will need a lot of money to buy a car here the motorcycle is more recommended and a Thai driver's license or motorcycle license you can get but it's a temporary license for the first year, after that you can apply the second year for a five-year Thai driver's license or motorcycle license both tests are very easy to pass.