Earliest date you can apply to extend your non imm O

Last year my friend arrived on an 0 A visa but only stays for 3 weeks at a time and returns again 2 weeks later.  I took him to immigration in Jomtien and explained this to them ( he had only been here 5 days) 

With a very small bit of persuasion 

They said no problem and let him do the 1 year extension then and there as he had brought all the necessary forms and required documents with him. 

Picked it up at 3pm same afternoon.

4 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Hi Joe,

Is one not allowed to be a few days late to extend?

Not without paying a overstay fine of 500 baht a day.

Most offices would do the extension with a few days of overstay after you pay the fine.

45 minutes ago, Cyclone88 said:

Last year my friend arrived on an 0 A visa but only stays for 3 weeks at a time and returns again 2 weeks later.  I took him to immigration in Jomtien and explained this to them ( he had only been here 5 days) 

With a very small bit of persuasion 

They said no problem and let him do the 1 year extension then and there as he had brought all the necessary forms and required documents with him. 

Picked it up at 3pm same afternoon.

Not clear what you felt persuasion was needed to accomplish.

If he had a non-imm O-A he would get a new one year permission to stay each time he entered the country before the visa expired and, with the aid of a re-entry permit during the second year, he could have stayed up to two years (even if he was in and out of the country) before needing to apply for an extension of stay.

I hope you didn't persuade him to get an extension of stay soon after he first arrived. That would have wasted some of the benefits of getting the O-A in the first place.

Edited by Suradit69

41 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

I hope you didn't persuade him to get an extension of stay soon after he first arrived. That would have wasted some of the benefits of getting the O-A in the first place.

I find it surprising that Jomtien would have willingly processed his extension application in such circumstances (instead of telling him to go away and only apply for an extension when he was within 45 days of the latest permission to stay granted under his OA visa expiring).

32 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Thanks Joe.

A friend of mine will be in this situation soon. Not being able to come back until his extension would be about 3 weeks overdue. 

If possible he should get a single entry non-o visa so he can apply for a new extension when he returns.

He will only get a 30 day visa exempt entry unless he gets the non-o or a tourist visa.

21 hours ago, somchai jones said:

Thanks for the advice. It would be Hua Hin or Taa Yang.

Unless they've changed their rules from 5-6 years back, Hua Hin Immigration refused to allow me to renew prior to 30 days before expiration.