Non-immigrant Visa In Less Than 30 Hours

Having to get a new and ###### expensive British passport combined with the recent Thai holydays I found myself urgently needing a new Non-Immigrant visa.

I thought of going to Penang as I have done on previous occasions but a friend of mine told me of a new service offered by Jack Golf at Sukhumvit Plaza. The visa service took a total of 30 hours at a cost of 6,600 Baht.

Having a look at their website I was tempted but reluctant to travel by bus over night. Approaching fifty next month and enjoying the more comfortable side of life. The thought of 20 hours in a Thai bus with a Thai bus driver was as tempting as having my nuts kicked in.

After carefully considering the options over several large whiskeys I found myself booking Jack’s visa trip.

The journey started at 21:00hrs 11th December 2006 from Sukhumvit Soi 12. I took a taxi from my home on the Srinakarin Rd and promptly arrived at the Irish bar on Soi Cowboy at 19:00hrs from where I watched the world go by.

Staggering my way to Sukhumvit Soi 12 I boarded Jack’s new bus and as my en route to Mukdahan.

The first official stop was Korat however just after Rangsit supplies was getting low and the bladder was full. So we had to stop at a PTT station that did not sell any alcohol. However a lovely Thai girl took us to the back where she sold us several ice cold cans of singa beer.

By this time I had realized that there were 6 other visa runners including a beautiful Philippine girl called Fiona.

Finally crashing out I was awaken by the sound of the minibus door opening as we arrived in Mukdahan at 05:00 am Monday 12th December. We were taken into the Grand Mukdahan Hotel where for an extra 600 Baht I booked a single room. Here I had a comfortable bed to stretch in and two and a half hours sleep. Having showered, shaved and changed my clothes I walked downstairs to have my American breakfast.

Promptly at eight in the morning Lung our guide took us to the Thai Immigration at Mukdahan where we were greeted by a foul mouthed angry cleaning lady who pushed us into line to get our departure stamp.

We were issued boarding tickets for the ferry across the Mekong. Exiting the back of Thai Immigration to board the ferry was a bit of a hike down horrendously steep steps.

Arriving in Savannakhet Laos was equally if not worst at least on the Thai side they had concrete steps; here we had to climb a steep sandy river bank to the Laos Immigration.

From here we were taken by tuk tuk to the Royal Thai Consulate to fill in the visa application forms. It was now 9:50 in the morning; by 10:30 we had all finished at immigration and would collect our passport at 2:30pm.

A short ride in the tuk tuk took us to the Lao Lao Derth Guest House where we had lunch and for an extra 300 Baht a private room and shower. The beds were as hard as rocks though but the Laos beer was tasty.

Here we had our lunch overlooking the mighty Mekong and the new bridge they are building to the north of Savannakhet.

At 2:30 we were taken to Laos Immigration where we were handed back our passports complete with Tourist Visa and my Non-Immigrant “O”. The climb down from Laos immigration to the ferry is bad and I would advise anyone with any disability not to do this visa run.

Thai Immigration in Mukdahan is slow and very crowded but as soon as were done we were off on the road to back to Bangkok with a stop in Suwannaphum for dinner.

We all arrived tired and weary in Bangkok at 02:00am 13th December 2006.

Conclusion

I would not recommend this run to anyone who has any disability as the steps at Thai immigration Mukdahan is horrendously steep and on the opposite bank on the Laos side there is virtually no steps and the bank is equally steep.

This is probably the cheapest and quickest way to do a visa run but would I do it again….. ? Only if I had to!

post-37234-1166089314_thumb.jpg

post-37234-1166089330_thumb.jpg

Very interesting and well written post. However, did you apply for a single or multi entry non O?

Sadly they only issue single entry tourist visa and single entry non-immigrant visa. The consulate is rather keen, though I had provided him with the correct paperwork he insisted in seeing the original marriage certificate.

This is probably the cheapest and quickest way to do a visa run but would I do it again….. ? Only if I had to!

Paying almost 7,500 baht and thirty hours of torture and dangerous ride for a visa run, I would suggest that you take a flight to Penang for your next visa run.

Paying almost 7,500 baht and thirty hours of torture and dangerous ride for a visa run, I would suggest that you take a flight to Penang for your next visa run.

Have you worked out the cost of a visit to the Royal Thai Consulate at Penang? Last time I was there I spent over 20,000 baht between the flight, hotel, visa cost, food and drink.

I do not wish to recommend the visa run to Savannakhet but wish to enlighten others of the advantage and disadvantages.

Having been on this bus ride I would agree it was a tortures ride to ones backside but the stops were frequent and as for dangerous; the road surface in several areas restricted speed but one cannot shelter from danger all the time.

Intresting, what paper did you have to get a NON Immigration O?

and what did you mean with "Tourist Visa and Non immigartion O"

Thanks.

Tourist visa - you can stay in the country for 60 days only as a Tourist. A 30 day extension is possible while in the country but you must apply and pay the appropriate fee at Thai Immigration.

When applying for this visa you will need to fill out an application form and provide a signed photocopy of your passports main page and two passport size photographs, the fee is 1,000THB.

I think a simple Tourist Visa can be changed by Thai immigration at Bangkok to most other types of visa provided you have the relevant documentations and pay the fee.

Non Immigrant "O" based on marriage

When applying for this visa you will need to fill out an application form and provide signed photocopies of your passports main page, your wife/husband Thai passport, Thai ID card, house registry, your wife/husband birth certificate and marriage certificate (translated and verified by your Embassy if not in Thai) and two passport size photographs. Make sure your spouse also signs the documents and also take the original birth certificate of your spouse and marriage certificate to show the consulate - a non-immigrant "O" fee is 2,000THB and allows you to stay in Thailand for 90 days.

Extending this visa must be done at Thai immigration - you must show a family income of more than 40,000THB per month.

Application Form T.M. 7.

A copy of your passport

One 4x6 cm. Photo.

Marriage certificate

500 baht fee.

Current medical original certificate (any Thai clinic will do for 50-100THB).

Your spouse’s documents – signed copies of ID card, marriage documents (translated and verified by your Embassy if not in Thai) House registry

If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts.

Your spouse must also attend for interview

Though you could do this yourself I would advise you to take legal advise and allow the lawyer to prepare all documents.

Please correct me if I am wrong

I think the point lsglsg51 is making is that you said you a Tourist Visa AND a Non-immigrant O. Surely you can't have both . . . .

G

Intresting, what paper did you have to get a NON Immigration O?

and what did you mean with "Tourist Visa and Non immigartion O"

Thanks.

Tourist visa - you can stay in the country for 60 days only as a Tourist. A 30 day extension is possible while in the country but you must apply and pay the appropriate fee at Thai Immigration.

When applying for this visa you will need to fill out an application form and provide a signed photocopy of your passports main page and two passport size photographs, the fee is 1,000THB.

I think a simple Tourist Visa can be changed by Thai immigration at Bangkok to most other types of visa provided you have the relevant documentations and pay the fee.

Non Immigrant "O" based on marriage

When applying for this visa you will need to fill out an application form and provide signed photocopies of your passports main page, your wife/husband Thai passport, Thai ID card, house registry, your wife/husband birth certificate and marriage certificate (translated and verified by your Embassy if not in Thai) and two passport size photographs. Make sure your spouse also signs the documents and also take the original birth certificate of your spouse and marriage certificate to show the consulate - a non-immigrant "O" fee is 2,000THB and allows you to stay in Thailand for 90 days.

Extending this visa must be done at Thai immigration - you must show a family income of more than 40,000THB per month.

Application Form T.M. 7.

A copy of your passport

One 4x6 cm. Photo.

Marriage certificate

500 baht fee.

Current medical original certificate (any Thai clinic will do for 50-100THB).

Your spouse’s documents – signed copies of ID card, marriage documents (translated and verified by your Embassy if not in Thai) House registry

If an alien is the supporter, he must submit financial evidence, proof of employment, work permit and tax receipts.

Your spouse must also attend for interview

Though you could do this yourself I would advise you to take legal advise and allow the lawyer to prepare all documents.

Please correct me if I am wrong

I think the point lsglsg51 is making is that you said you a Tourist Visa AND a Non-immigrant O. Surely you can't have both . . . .

G

Obviously not G R Taylor – you cannot have a tourist visa and a non immigrant visa at the same time, it's one or the other.

However I do not believe my post does imply that I had applied for both.

The cost is 1,900 baht for TM.7 form and there is no medical certificate required. Other information is subject to local requirements and needs to be checked.

Thanks lopburi for the update - when did they do away with the medical certificate

Nice report done with a good flair and great pics and valid warnings to the less than nimble-footed...

:o

Brings back fond memories of my own trip to Savannakhet.

:D

If one does chose to go this method, a more comfortable trip could be done on your own with a reclining big seat on a big VIP bus to Mukdahan and for a significantly less outlay of money. For 6,600 B and no hotels included in that, I see Jack Golf is making a hefty profit... which, as a for-profit business, is certainly their right.

For comfort alone though, I'd forgo the Golf mini-van method.

Hi Sceadugenga

My passport was new but I took the old one with me which had expired 4th December which had a non-immigrant “O” which by now had expired as I did not transfer my extension of stay within the permitted time.

I had no problem getting the visa as I had provided the right paperwork but the consulate asked to see the original marriage certificate and also the wife’s original birth certificate.

He also asked me where my wife was born and how many years we had been married.

The six other persons on the visa run were all giver single entry Tourist Visa with no problems.

The advantage of Savannakhet is getting the visa the same day so that you are out of Thailand only for a few hours.

Good luck on the 26th

name='sriracha john' date='2006-12-14 15:31:28' post='1032735']Nice report done with a good flair and great pics and valid warnings to the less than nimble-footed...

:o

Brings back fond memories of my own trip to Savannakhet.

:D

Me Too I used to work in Savannakhet, travelling once per month over that rivrr route. In those days it was harder on the Thai side ( No Steps at all)

If one does chose to go this method, a more comfortable trip could be done on your own with a reclining big seat on a big VIP bus to Mukdahan and for a significantly less outlay of money. For 6,600 B and no hotels included in that, I see Jack Golf is making a hefty profit... which, as a for-profit business, is certainly their right.

For comfort alone though, I'd forgo the Golf mini-van method.

You can fly Nok or Air asia I think to Ubon Ratchathani, then Mini bus 100 BHt to Muckdahan. Flights leave Bangkok early morning you can do it easy in one day. Great post although...

Hi Sceadugenga

My passport was new but I took the old one with me which had expired 4th December which had a non-immigrant “O” which by now had expired as I did not transfer my extension of stay within the permitted time.

I had no problem getting the visa as I had provided the right paperwork but the consulate asked to see the original marriage certificate and also the wife’s original birth certificate.

He also asked me where my wife was born and how many years we had been married.

The six other persons on the visa run were all giver single entry Tourist Visa with no problems.

The advantage of Savannakhet is getting the visa the same day so that you are out of Thailand only for a few hours.

Good luck on the 26th

What About your Lao Visa? Did you get it on arrival or did you do it before hand?

(or maybe I missed that in your post..)

[sandy]

im doing this visa run in janurary, about the 9th or 10th i believe.

from what ive heard, its 10 hours on a bus from bangkok to the ferry crossing.

then spend about 9 hours between queing at immigration and refreshing in the hotels etc...

then 10 hours back.

the company im going with charge 1700 baht for the trip.

but that doesnt include the visa fee or the hotels.

not 100% sure if im going to do it..

can anyone reccommend an easier option? i dont want to fly or spend much more money.

concidering there is myself AND my foreign girlfriend going to do the visa.

we need the 60 day tourist with extension!

school is sorting out the paper work to convert them into non imm b and paper work..

then spend about 9 hours between queing at immigration and refreshing in the hotels etc...

then 10 hours back.

can anyone reccommend an easier option? i dont want to fly or spend much more money.

school is sorting out the paper work to convert them into non imm b and paper work..

Let's see, this was something you posted previously:

i still dont see why this is such a huge problem...

i think they are right to do what they plan to do.

if your legally here, then fine. show your work permit, visa etc.

people who are here legally will have everything they need.

people who are here illegally then you deserve what you get for doing what you do.

most people here when they are back in their own country's probably didnt like all the immigrants in their own country...

look at the uk... do you agree with whats going on there??

no...

well your doing the exact same as them over here...

in the end, if they do enforce it, ( prays they do ) then the people here legally with permits, visa's etc will reap the benefits.

i cant wait for teacher wages to go up when there is a shortage of teachers...

myself and my farang girlfriend are more than laughing at this scenario...

sitting on a years permit, and a 3 year contract i dont see what we need to worry about.

apart from going with the highest bidder to hire us.

Now it seems that you are actually working here illegally without a work permit or teacher's license :o

If you're not going until January, why can't your school get you the paperwork needed for a non-immigrant B visa by then? It's not that difficult.

then 10 hours back.

people who are here illegally then you deserve what you get for doing what you do.

most people here when they are back in their own country's probably didnt like all the immigrants in their own country...

no...

in the end, if they do enforce it, ( prays they do ) then the people here legally with permits, visa's etc will reap the benefits.

sitting on a years permit, and a 3 year contract i dont see what we need to worry about.

Now it seems that you are actually working here illegally without a work permit or teacher's license :o

If you're not going until January, why can't your school get you the paperwork needed for a non-immigrant B visa by then? It's not that difficult.

Caught read handed !!! First time I read something really funny on thai visa!

First they came for the visa runner... you know the song....

[sandy]

then 10 hours back.

no...

Caught read handed !!! First time I read something really funny on thai visa!

First they came for the visa runner... you know the song....

[sandy]

this is why the rules are changing .because of <deleted> breaking the rules.i wish theyd just raid places and get rid of bar owners and english teachers with no permits .half of them arent even english natives.what sort of english do they teach anyway?people who bring in money from working overseas and dont qualify under other categories are now going to suffer because of them.

this is why the rules are changing .because of <deleted> breaking the rules.i wish theyd just raid places and get rid of bar owners and english teachers with no permits .half of them arent even english natives.what sort of english do they teach anyway?people who bring in money from working overseas and dont qualify under other categories are now going to suffer because of them.

You are slightly wrong ... at least on two points

- The visa runners are not breaking any rule.

- The one who breaks the rules are the schools which employ foreign teachers illegeally

For the bar owners... I guess there are many different situations. I am sure some break the rules and I amvsure other don't.

Basically it all goes back to the rules, which in the present case are rather unworkable.

And who makes the rules? ...

[sandy]

Received a flyer in our Mansion A&B that says that ThaiVisaService also does the Mukdahan Run.

Transport in VIP Van for THB 1700,- , appr THB 400.- for Boat/Transfers /Guesthouse on the Laos side, THB 1000.- for the Thai Tourist Visa and THB 1500.--1700.- for Westerners who require the Laos Visa.

Claudio's Thai Wife will be the guide during the trip and give you a helping hand on the Laos side.

So the total cost come to about THB 4600.--4800.- plus food and other expenses.

then 10 hours back.

no...

Good pickup on the illegal worker fool, Col.

Hmmm, where did I found more information about Mukhadan?

You could start with the TAT

www.mukweb.com is a site all about Mukdahan, not much in English :o

However, good news is there is a brand spanking new bridge open (ing) December 2007, so no more horrible steps.

PS Muk is a great place to spend a couple of days, if you are into up country towns where ferangs are still a bit of a novelty!