Opting for an overstay

Have searched, but not found what I'm looking for at the forum. It involves the following:

I have a multiple non-immigrant Visa O (for people over fifty) for four entries of 90 days. After the first 90 days, I have crossed the border with Laos. The second period will expire on February 26, 2017. But on February 28, I leave from Bangkok to the Netherlands (and return in 6 months). 

Will it be a big problem - for example: do you get a note in a register, which makes it difficult to obtain visas future? - if I then leave Thailand? I realize that I'm two days in overstay and that will cost me 1000 baht. But I do rather that, than an entire morning with busy driving up and down to Laos and pay 1,500 baht.

A two day overstay overstay stamp would have no effect on getting a visa. The big risk is getting caught with the overstay before you get to the airport which could result in being banned form entering the country.

You could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country at immigration.

• Like 2

Why not just try to get an earlier flight out?  Why take the risk just call the airline they could probably change your departure date for a few days earlier it might cost a little more depending on the airline.  Or maybe you can just go see immigration and maybe they can give you a short term extension or something.  Personally I'd never take the risk of overstaying especially if you want to live here.  That's just me I don't mess with immigration, I've read to many horror stories on this forum.  I know it's only 2 days late but all it takes is that police officer stopping you on the way to the airport or a routine visit to your house by the immigration police which they have been known to do once in a while.  I know who you should talk to there's this guy on here that goes by screen name Ubonjoe I've asked him for advice in the past during my first year here and he never steered me wrong.  The guy's an expert on visa and immigration rules talk to him he really knows his stuff.  He's pretty well known on here I think I read his posts all the time in these forums just to learn all the latest information about immigration stuff.  

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

A two day overstay overstay stamp would have no effect on getting a visa. The big risk is getting caught with the overstay before you get to the airport which could result in being banned form entering the country.

You could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country at immigration.

LoL I'm sorry I was just saying that he should talk to you but you've already replied to him.  

Listen to what this guy says when it comes to immigration and visa stuff he'll never steer you wrong.  He really helped me out a lot my first year here, back then I hardly knew anything because this is the first time I've ever lived in a foreign country as a private citizen.  Before retiring here I thought I knew it all just because I've been traveling all over the world for years but I didn't.  The rules are so much different as a private citizen, and even in the service I used to travel a lot as if I was a private citizen but never for long stays like now.  

What Joe said about getting a 7 day extension for only 1900 Baht sounds like your best option if immigration will do that.  If he says they will then I'm sure it's an option.  Go with that option it's much safer than an overstay even if it's only 2 days.  Plus you won't have to worry about being hassled later about having that 2 day overstay stamp in your passport when you come back.  Trust me getting pulled into secondary at the airport is no fun even when they're cordial.  I've never experienced secondary questioning here in Thailand but I've heard it takes up a lot of your time.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You may be wrong on that Ubonjoe. The problem is that he has an existing visa and they won't grant a 7 day extension while the non-imm visa is still valid. 

Source: been there, had this problem myself (Dec 2016) and no amount of money changes the situation: I was actually told that I had to get paperwork together to cancel the visa despite the fact it expiring the day after I was at immigration. I ended up overstaying 6 days and paying the 3,000 baht at the airport on the way out despite trying to do the right thing. 

16 minutes ago, lordblackader said:

You may be wrong on that Ubonjoe. The problem is that he has an existing visa and they won't grant a 7 day extension while the non-imm visa is still valid. 

Source: been there, had this problem myself (Dec 2016) and no amount of money changes the situation: I was actually told that I had to get paperwork together to cancel the visa despite the fact it expiring the day after I was at immigration. I ended up overstaying 6 days and paying the 3,000 baht at the airport on the way out despite trying to do the right thing. 

A visa cannot be canceled. I suspect you had an extension of stay and they wanted documents to cancel it before they would do the 7 day extension.

2 hours ago, ThaiWai said:

Unless you are caught in country then it's a world of shit.

It is highly unlikely that they'd be arrested and sent through the legal system with a two day overstay if they have a booked flight out of the country.

The main concern should be extortion. If they were unlucky enough to be caught by an opportunist copper they could have their wallet emptied under threat of arrest/time in a police cell.

I doubt any court would prosecute a one time two day overstay.

"A two day overstay overstay stamp would have no effect on getting a visa. The big risk is getting caught with the overstay before you get to the airport which could result in being banned form entering the country.

You could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country at immigration."

I follow the advice of Ubonjoe: a seven day extension at the Immigration Office of Nakhon Phanom. Otherwise I can always cross the Mekong into Laos and back: a few days before the second entrie has expired.

Thanks for all the comments.

1 hour ago, marcel.dekorte said:

"A two day overstay overstay stamp would have no effect on getting a visa. The big risk is getting caught with the overstay before you get to the airport which could result in being banned form entering the country.

You could apply for a 7 day extension, pay 1900 baht and be granted 7 days to leave the country at immigration."

I follow the advice of Ubonjoe: a seven day extension at the Immigration Office of Nakhon Phanom. Otherwise I can always cross the Mekong into Laos and back: a few days before the second entrie has expired.

Thanks for all the comments.

Just so you are aware. There is no 7 day extension. You apply for an extension in the usual way, but it will be declined. They will stamp your passport declining the extension and give you 7 days to leave the country.

It's a good idea to take confirmation of your flight in case they want proof of the reason you require more time in the country.

6 hours ago, elviajero said:

Just so you are aware. There is no 7 day extension. You apply for an extension in the usual way, but it will be declined. They will stamp your passport declining the extension and give you 7 days to leave the country.

It's a good idea to take confirmation of your flight in case they want proof of the reason you require more time in the country.

Thanks for the advice of the flight confirmation :)

On 17-2-2017 at 3:54 PM, ubonjoe said:

Piece of cake. I got a stamp (1900 bath, after half an hour of work) and can remain until March 5th. More than enough time so.