Standard Red Fare......

KhonKaenKowboy

The price of fuel has dropped but they still have to buy food and stuff like the rest of us and most things have gotten more expensive since the fare was set at 20 baht.  

OTOH, compared to Pattaya's baht buses and Bangkok transportation, CM is expensive.

Sure wish they would go electric even at a higher price. cough cough. 

8 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Lets hope it encourages people to walk then.

At 50bt it would still be the cheapest ride around the city.

I've never paid that much for Uber.  Most expensive was Hang Dong to the inner city, 48 THB.  Smooth ride in air conditioned comfort.

Edited by mesquite

5 hours ago, mesquite said:

I've never paid that much for Uber.  Most expensive was Hang Dong to the inner city, 48 THB.  Smooth ride in air conditioned comfort.

I guess you haven't been stuck in traffic yet? I went from near Teppanya Hospital to Meechok Plaza a few weeks ago. The estimate was 50 THB but the minute we pulled onto the utility road alongside Super Highway, there was a horrendous traffic jam. We were stuck in traffic for 35 minutes (usually about a 7-10 minute drive). So the price went from 50 to 88 or something. I contacted Uber later and they said that the fare was accurate due to traffic.

45 minutes ago, elektrified said:

I guess you haven't been stuck in traffic yet? I went from near Teppanya Hospital to Meechok Plaza a few weeks ago. The estimate was 50 THB but the minute we pulled onto the utility road alongside Super Highway, there was a horrendous traffic jam. We were stuck in traffic for 35 minutes (usually about a 7-10 minute drive). So the price went from 50 to 88 or something. I contacted Uber later and they said that the fare was accurate due to traffic.

Oh no, a whole 88 baht. Still more comfortable than a Songteaw. 

4 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Charging more than quoted price isn't something successful businesses do.

It's not a "quoted price" it's an estimated price and they normally give a price range along the lines of say 45-65 baht. If a price ~30 baht over an estimated price is such a drama for some perhaps they should walk, besides try doing the same trip in a Tuk tuk or taxi for that price. Uber is a god send for getting around CM when you don't want to drive yourself. 

4 hours ago, KhonKaenKowboy said:

Charging more than quoted price isn't something successful businesses do.

Uber has dynamic pricing. They don't hide it.

So if it takes longer you pay more. Just like a taxi.

Which is why you can change your destination, if the driver is amenable, and the price is simply altered on the fly.

Uber pricing also escalates at times of high demand.

Much like any public transport here if you are farang.

As long as it is disclosed, beforehand.  TukTuk would stick with price...not that I am a tuktuk fan, at all.  Walking can be faster than a car, even in C M.  The dust is far from being settled on this one...Uber is hurting red...so in Thai fashion, they just raised the price, which. on a service that will prove to be elaastic will hurt their bottom line...too many parked on the side of the road, waiting for a big fish.  Seen a lot of golf courses fail this way.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

I haven't noticed an increase in songthaew fares for routine trips in the middle of the day, especially if I'm with someone else and they're going to get 40 baht.  What has changed is their willingness to accept a cross-town trip for a solo passenger during morning and evening traffic snarls. Sometimes they won't even throw out a price, but just shake their head no.  I've resorted to offering something like 60 or even 80 baht if I've been refused service by 6 or 7 songthaews in a row and finally have an empty one turn up.   That usually gets 'em going in my direction.

I haven't noticed any increase in fares either. A few ask for 30 baht, but I just smile and shake my head. They either accept 20 baht or drive off. I don't usually have to wait for more than 2-3 around the Thapae Gate area to get me out of the Old City area.

On 2/18/2017 at 9:28 PM, cerox said:

That's still very cheap unfortunately.

I don't think it is cheap for a ride on a bench seat in the back of some clapped-out old pickup truck. Was talking to a Thai friend today about this fare increase and his thought was 15 baht seemed reasonable for a short ride within town.

Yesterday, I got into a songthaew at KSK, asking to go to Suan Dok hospital.  A few other people were in it.  Much to my dismay, it went all the way down to the Maya Mall intersection and turned down Nimman.  I noticed a new sign inside the songthaew that said 50฿.  There was a major traffic snarl on Nimman and it appeared that a graduation was in full swing.  (I thought CMU had already had their graduation; maybe another institution was using their facilities.)  Anyway, a Thai woman who had the look of a hi-so Bangkok Thai got off and handed the driver 100 baht, he handed it back and after much discussion, she gave him 20 baht.  We continued, finally turning left on Suthep Rd, and the next stop was Suan Dok hospital where I handed him 20 baht turned and walked away, not hearing any protest.  

Because of the traffic snarl on Nimman what should have been a 7-10 minute trip from KSK to Suan Dok had taken nearly 30 minutes.  I was prepared for a bit of "discussion" if he was going to insist that the new fare was 50 baht.  I think that sign is there for tourists who don't know any better.

It was a red songthaew and not one waiting under the portico of KSK, but one that pulled up along Huay Kaew Rd.  

I've found the best way to get to Suan Dok hospital via songthaew from KSK is to go west on Huay Kaew, where they usually turn left on Sirimanklajarn Rd. and then another left onto Suthep.  If you stand on the other side of Huay Kaew, heading east, the songthaews have to go into the Old City to get themselves onto Suthep Rd.  Not very direct.  

And yes, it's less than a 2 km walk, but I've injured a foot recently and I end up doing a lot of walking around the Suan Dok hospital complex when I'm helping patients anyway.  All I want to do when I get home is elevate my foot and put ice on it.

OK, Nancy, you are excused from exercise today.  Yes, if you go east, you have to U turn inside the moat, but that would have been much better.  For future reference, if you walk out of the basement by the police station and then the hotel, you are a pretty close to Sirimankalajarn.  That might be the best way to avoid going to Nimman.  I take red from Suthep, and I've almost made it a point to make sure they aren't going via Nimman to Thapae Gate or anywhere else.  Worst intersection in the entire province, for sure.

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

I've found the best way to get to Suan Dok hospital via songthaew from KSK is to go west on Huay Kaew, where they usually turn left on Sirimanklajarn Rd. and then another left onto Suthep.  If you stand on the other side of Huay Kaew, heading east, the songthaews have to go into the Old City to get themselves onto Suthep Rd.  Not very direct.  

Not many of the songtaews will do that trick (turn left on Sirimankalajarn)........unless you're the only rider or unless everyone else on board is going to Suthep Road.  On the other hand, a short walk down to Sirimangkalajarn and most of the songtaews heading south will drop you off at the hospital in relatively quick fashion (well, provided there isn't the usual late-afternoon mess at the Suthep intersection).

In the past, sometimes after I asked about going to a given place, a songteaw driver would twirl his finger in the air and that was his way of telling me that, yes, he'll get to my destination eventually but it won't be a very direct route.  When they don't tell me they're not going directly to my destination (i.e., fail to mention the "short" jog to Burma or Cambodia)....and provided I'm in a good mood....I've at times given the driver a 5 or 10 baht tip explaining that it's for the exciting "tour" of the town.  That always garners a laugh.

I took my first UBER trip today , and I am so happy I dont have to take the red songthaews anymore.  Guess what , it was only 51 baht from my condo 4.2km away to Central festival . 

So a return trip cost me around 100 baht .  If I had to pay 30 baht for each songtheaw to do the same trip it would cost me the same.  

Also I register my K-bank card with the UBER app , so no extra charges , even if your stuck in the traffic.  Amazing GPS technology that actually works , I could track the cars all the way -