Suggested user interface for Kodi

lamyai3

I have the AIS playbox with Kodi set up, Everything works fine, but things aren't really optimized from the navigation point of view. This means if I want to jump out of a movie in Exodus and check the news headlines in Phoenix it requires many clicks and the route is very indirect. I'm guessing there must be an easy way to reorganize this, any suggestions? What I'd like really is some sort of a home page menu that lists favourites and is easy to add items to - maybe there are even some skins that can do this?

Now I'm very new to using Kodi....only about a week on Kodi 16.1 and then switched to Kodi 17 Krypton a few weeks ago so I'm like a kid trying to learn how to ride the Kodi bicycle.  I've been using primary Exodus for my movie watching.  

When seeing this thread I thought to myself, yea, moving around in Kodi can be a pain especially for a novice such as myself.  With this mention of adding Exodus to my Favorites I gave it a try.  Couldn't figure out anyway to add the Exodus icon to Favorites but you can add the Exodus subfolders like Movies, TV Shows, etc.

So I add the move Martian....it's now in my favorites.  OK, let me delete that entry....I can't figure it out....a right mouse click to bring up a submenu to possibly delete does not appear....pressing the delete key does not help.  Did some googling...found below webpage that showed me how and it works to delete a favorite.  But it sure seems it would have been easier just to allow a right mouse click to pull up a delete selection.   Oh well, back to trying to learn to ride Kodi 17.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304000

9 hours ago, Pib said:

then switched to Kodi 17 Krypton a few weeks ago so I'm like a kid trying to learn how to ride the Kodi bicycle.

I disliked the default Estuary skin that comes with Kodi 17 so went and loaded the Confluence skin for Kodi 17.  I just couldn't be bothered learning to ride a new bike.

9 hours ago, Pib said:

Now I'm very new to using Kodi....only about a week on Kodi 16.1 and then switched to Kodi 17 Krypton a few weeks ago so I'm like a kid trying to learn how to ride the Kodi bicycle.  I've been using primary Exodus for my movie watching.  

When seeing this thread I thought to myself, yea, moving around in Kodi can be a pain especially for a novice such as myself.  With this mention of adding Exodus to my Favorites I gave it a try.  Couldn't figure out anyway to add the Exodus icon to Favorites but you can add the Exodus subfolders like Movies, TV Shows, etc.

So I add the move Martian....it's now in my favorites.  OK, let me delete that entry....I can't figure it out....a right mouse click to bring up a submenu to possibly delete does not appear....pressing the delete key does not help.  Did some googling...found below webpage that showed me how and it works to delete a favorite.  But it sure seems it would have been easier just to allow a right mouse click to pull up a delete selection.   Oh well, back to trying to learn to ride Kodi 17.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=304000

Right mouse doesn't work in Android unless you insert a keymap

20 hours ago, Pib said:

But it sure seems it would have been easier just to allow a right mouse click to pull up a delete selection.  

I guess you are using an Android device as mentioned by Allstars? Right mouse click contextual menu for favorites and delete is a nuisance with an ordinary mouse unless you have a common Android remote with the right click button (hamburger symbol) on it or a touch screen device Android tablet (long touch). A lot easier on a PC.

9 minutes ago, Digitalbanana said:

I guess you are using an Android device as mentioned by Allstars? Right mouse click contextual menu for favorites and delete is a nuisance with an ordinary mouse unless you have a common Android remote with the right click button (hamburger symbol) on it or a touch screen device Android tablet (long touch). A lot easier on a PC.

You can remap the right mouse in Kodi so that it works same as on Windows.

Take note that if you remap, the return and context button on the original remote will switch as well.

http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Keymap_Editor

pressing c on your keyboard will bring up the context menu in Kodi. Also Exodus is build to work with Trakt.tv so setup a free trakt.tv acount add it to exodus and you can save all your tv shows and movies in trakt. If you ever upgrade kodi or buy a new box you just link your trakt account and you still have all your favorites.

2 hours ago, Digitalbanana said:

No, I was talking a Windows device with mouse.  

In my case I only have the small AIS remote with very few buttons for navigation as I'm using the playbox rather than a laptop. Some of the more general categories can be saved but it's not always quick to navigate out of a movie or something that's buried deep down in a submenu. 

I agree the earlier comment, Favourites on the homescreen menu bar seems the best option. I think the problem is that the skin I prefer (confluence) has no Favourites option in the menu bar, whereas some of the other skins do allow it. 

Archived