Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand

hobz

On 3/13/2017 at 7:10 PM, fruitman said:

Sure, those are the double kitchentaps for hot and cold...you can put the one for hot on the other side and it opens the other way around. The valves are screwed into the the unit at both sides and if you do it wrong they turn the other way to open.

I believe this is where you claimed they were kitchen taps no?

4 hours ago, fruitman said:

I didn't claim they were kitchen mixers but yes they also sometimes work the wrong way in thailand..

And what difference does it make if i tell i live in BKK??

I never mentioned BKK but you still have not told us if you are even in Thailand.

4 hours ago, Don Mega said:

My house has mixer taps in both bathrooms and the kitchen, I doubt my landlord imported them.

Good for you Don you will be one of the 0.01% in Thailand with mixer taps then............

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/12/2017 at 5:15 PM, phuketjock said:

I would be interested to know how a single cold water tap could be connected

up the wrong way?

99.9% of Thai households only have cold water taps.

Put in the wrong side of the sink (left instead of right)

Put it on the hot water inlet instead of the cold water inlet.

For lever taps, have the lever 90 degrees in the wrong direction (while the other tap is in the correct direction!!)

4 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Put in the wrong side of the sink (left instead of right)

Put it on the hot water inlet instead of the cold water inlet.

For lever taps, have the lever 90 degrees in the wrong direction (while the other tap is in the correct direction!!)

The clue is in " 99.9% of Thai households only have cold water taps "

Therefore 99.9% of the sinks only have one hole for the tap.

Therefore 99.9% don't have hot water inlets or outlets to connect wrongly.....

My question was " I would be interested to know how a single cold water tap

could be connected up the wrong way? "

There is no wrong side if the sink only has one hole.

It is not possible to connect to a hot water pipe that does not exist.

3 minutes ago, phuketjock said:

The clue is in " 99.9% of Thai households only have cold water taps "

Therefore 99.9% of the sinks only have one hole for the tap.

Therefore 99.9% don't have hot water inlets or outlets to connect wrongly.....

My question was " I would be interested to know how a single cold water tap

could be connected up the wrong way? "

There is no wrong side if the sink only has one hole.

It is not possible to connect to a hot water pipe that does not exist.

A lot of sinks have 2 holes for taps even though only 1 tap may be connected.

And as I said, in the case of a lever tap it can be connected in the wrong orientation.

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

And as I said, in the case of a lever tap it can be connected in the wrong orientation.

If you only have one pipe ie. cold water you can put it in any hole you like there is no wrong one!!!

The orientation of the tap lever has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether the tap is

connected to the water system correctly or not does it???

There are very very few sinks in Thailand  ( porcelain at least ) with more than one tap hole.

Stainless you can make as many holes as you wish if you have the tooling.

Are you another long distance keyboard warrior????

Edited by phuketjock
addition

1 hour ago, phuketjock said:

If you only have one pipe ie. cold water you can put it in any hole you like there is no wrong one!!!

The orientation of the tap lever has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with whether the tap is

connected to the water system correctly or not does it???

There are very very few sinks in Thailand  ( porcelain at least ) with more than one tap hole.

Stainless you can make as many holes as you wish if you have the tooling.

Are you another long distance keyboard warrior????

a Thai plumber doesn't need two holes to make a wrong connection! the eggsburt we had connected 4 out of 7 water heaters wrong by switching inlet/outlet. see picture below.

fortunately all bathroom washbasin taps (ONE hole for the tap!) were properly connected, meaning turning lever to the left = hot, to the right = cold. but after more than 10 years i still curse him because of some other rubbish he produced. :bah:

water_tap_mixer.jpg

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 7:38 PM, phuketjock said:

I believe this is where you claimed they were kitchen taps no?

I never mentioned BKK but you still have not told us if you are even in Thailand.

Good for you Don you will be one of the 0.01% in Thailand with mixer taps then............

Just to fan the flames.......I also have mixer taps/shower taps in all the bathrooms - as do most of the houses in the village.

I added a heater and basic mixer tap to the kitchen sink here nearly 7 years ago. Bought from HomePro

Bit of a waste as the gf would never use it hot............

• 5 weeks later...
On 19/02/2017 at 1:54 PM, Jai Dee said:

Typically in Australia you would have an outwardly opening fly-screen door as well as the traditional solid inwardly opening door.

Yes. In many countries interior doors, in particular doors that open and close a lot open inwards.  Lounge bedroom kitchen and lounge doors usually do not open and close all day so frequently open outwards and are latched back, often magnetically.   Toilets are frequently next to other utility rooms so opening in, they do not block other doors. Also do not smack into someone passing as they tend to open and close all day. Having a stroke or other medical emergency is a problem with-in opening doors.  My sister died in one.  Worth considering with epileptics or other frail health issues.  In tropical or security issue climates solid doors are combined with screen mesh or security mesh and one door goes each way.  Sweden is traditionally neither but door styles may be changing since "migration" started!!!!!   Hmmm!!!

On 20/03/2017 at 6:36 PM, LongTimeLurker said:

Just don't swap the little ceramic button on the top. That and taking labels off mattresses in USA.

6 hours ago, edgarfriendly said:

not sure if its relevant but who else in the world leaves shitty toilet paper in baskets next to the toilet?

Almost every country that has not yet installed large bore drainage pipes, the main reason for the 

baskets/bins for used/soiled toilet paper because if disposed of down the toilets with the small bore

drain pipes will instantly block the bog!!!!!

Most of South America suffers from this little problem.

Edited by phuketjock

And how do you guys deal with the problem of going to a public bathroom and finding out that there is no bum gun and no toilet paper?

Sure there's the hand trick if you're 100% sure that the sink works and there's still soap, but even there...

Sweden is traditionally neither but door styles may be changing since "migration" started!!!!! 

I remember the first time that I visited Sweden and stayed in an upmarket hotel.  I thought it looked more like a prison, since the guest room doors all opened outwards onto the corridor.

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

I remember the first time that I visited Sweden and stayed in an upmarket hotel.  I thought it looked more like a prison, since the guest room doors all opened outwards onto the corridor.

I remember the first time I visited your home country. It felt more like a third world country since all the doors opened inwards.

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

I remember the first time I visited your home country. It felt more like a third world country since all the doors opened inwards.

I feel that these toilet doors opening inwards are potentially dangerous and a bit scary!!!

On 21/04/2017 at 2:10 PM, edgarfriendly said:

not sure if its relevant but who else in the world leaves shitty toilet paper in baskets next to the toilet?

Greece. Sitting at breakfast and watching the cleaners carrying the toilet paper away in clear plastic refuse sacks, lovely.

6 hours ago, grollies said:

Sitting at breakfast and watching the cleaners carrying the toilet paper away in clear plastic refuse sacks, lovely.

I stopped using toilet paper ages ago, the water gun is an amazing invention.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/21/2017 at 1:47 PM, The Deerhunter said:

Also do not smack into someone passing as they tend to open and close all day. Having a stroke or other medical emergency is a problem with-in opening doors.  My sister died in one.  Worth considering with epileptics or other frail health issues.

Sorry to hear of your sister but doors are made to open inwards because it's easier for emergency services to break them down and rescue people.

And as you say, outwardly opening doors will hit people who are passing by.

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:
On 4/23/2017 at 2:43 AM, balo said:

I stopped using toilet paper ages ago, the water gun is an amazing invention.  

What do you dry your bum with?

i use something exotic. it's some sort of woven fabric called "towel".