Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand

hobz

In my home country Sweden toilet doors are most often opened outwards for various practical reasons.

1. Toilets are small, opening inwards further limits the already small space.

2. The hinges should be on the outside because toilets are moist.

3. If someone is unconscious inside the hinges can be accessed from outside (this is rarely mentioned. Found out about it today when doing research)

4. Fire safety standards, in panic people tend to push doors.. Not sure about this one, but came up during research.

Why do thai toilet doors open inwards? Is there rational reasons or something something ghosts?

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

So you don't blindly hit people when opening doors?

Yeah, that's the only rational reason i can think of except if toilet is huge and opens to a tiny hallway. 

In sweden most people decide to open outwards anyway because the other reasons outweigh this one.

9 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Why do they drive on the left side in Thailand, UK, Australia and some other strange places?

Driving is different, because the whole country has to decide on one way. Toilet doors have room for decisions in each case. In sweden MOST toilets open out. In thai ALL open in.

Why are toilet doors (and other doors) opened inwards in Thailand...

Why do  the light switches work the other way----

Why don't they have a space between written words---

Why cant you drink the tap water here-----

Why do they all take their shoes off when entering a building----

Why do people smile so much here---

Why do 7% (estimated) of males want to be females-----

Could it be that we are not in Kansas any-more.............:coffee1:

Since we are on the subject of toilets, the hotel we use in Bangalore (India) has very cleverly designed bathrooms. It is possible to sit on the pan and throw-up in the sink at the same time, don't ask me how I know :sick:

Oh, and the doors open inwards :)

16 minutes ago, hobz said:

1. Toilets are small, opening inwards further limits the already small space.

2. The hinges should be on the outside because toilets are moist.

3. If someone is unconscious inside the hinges can be accessed from outside (this is rarely mentioned. Found out about it today when doing research)

4. Fire safety standards, in panic people tend to push doors.. Not sure about this one, but came up during research.

1.  Don't get that !!  are walls inside Swedish toilets angled towards the opening door.

2.  Use stainless hinges or don't bother with a door.

3.  Most Thai toilet doors & locks are flimsy and some toilets you can look over the wall. 

4.  Fire safety in Thailand, emm OK,  l refer you to 3. :biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Since we are on the subject of toilets, the hotel we use in Bangalore (India) has very cleverly designed bathrooms. It is possible to sit on the pan and throw-up in the sink at the same time, don't ask me how I know :sick:

Oh, and the doors open inwards :)

And in India it may not even be a result of alcohol indulgence - recall when in Madras (1970's) one had to obtain a drunk certificate from government to even be allowed to order a drink.

6 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

1.  Don't get that !!  are walls inside Swedish toilets angled towards the opening door.

2.  Use stainless hinges or don't bother with a door.

3.  Most Thai toilet doors & locks are flimsy and some toilets you can look over the wall. 

4.  Fire safety in Thailand, emm OK,  l refer you to 3. :biggrin:

1. Hmm, i mean if you open the door inwards, you need to have space for the door inside the toilet room. 

2. Yeah, you're right, should be easy to solve by using different materials.

As for safety / fire stuff.. This is from Australian friend:

"I thought toilet doors were meant to open outwards in case someone is unconscious inside. So they won’t block the door while you try to enter.

Also toilet doors are meant to have special hinges you can push the pin out of so you can open a locked door. 

They are called “loose pin hinges” and are required by law for some situations in Australia. Many years ago I use to sell door hardware"

Accessibility standard suggest doors for toilets especially should open outward.  The reason is if someone collapses in the bathroom (surprisingly common) it is much easier to open the door with a body against it when you do not have to push the body out of the way.  So lives are potentially threatened if they open inward.

Most building codes now incorporate this for all bathrooms and now just ones for people with disabilities.

4 minutes ago, sipi said:

What door?

I can wave to the neighbours.

It's the same issue with bedroom doors, for some reason they are always opened inwards in thailand. Nobody seems to know why... I heard something about bad luck from my gf, but she doesn't know the details..

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

In the UK and everywhere else I remember the stall doors usually open inwards.

Inwards opening doors are standard in all Australian and New Zealand toilets/bathrooms too.

/Edit: actually for every room in a house.

Edited by Jai Dee

Just now, hobz said:

It's the same issue with bedroom doors, for some reason they are always opened inwards in thailand. Nobody seems to know why... I heard something about bad luck from my gf, but she doesn't know the details..

You'd be really stuffed in the UK hobz, doors invariably open into the room they serve, outside doors to the house open inwards too.

Our last home in the UK had a back door that opened outwards that surprised many a visitor with a near smack in the face.

3 minutes ago, hobz said:

i know why... space saving... all the doors I instal are inward because you save that swing space

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

Our last home in the UK had a back door that opened outwards that surprised many a visitor with a near smack in the face.

Typically in Australia you would have an outwardly opening fly-screen door as well as the traditional solid inwardly opening door.

6 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

Typically in Australia you would have an outwardly opening fly-screen door as well as the traditional solid inwardly opening door.

oh well that sort of defeats the space you save...  hmmm odd but of course the screen door can't go the same way as the solid door

Edited by LannaGuy

Just now, LannaGuy said:

oh well that sort of defeats the space you save...  hmmm odd

Not really... and it is only on the outside door.

One would close the fly-screen door but leave the inner door open... that way the wind could cool the house down but the flies could not get in.

2 minutes ago, hobz said:

So doors that swing inwards dont take space? Are they magical?

you missed the point - we were discussing a toilet cubicle the M2 outside of that cubicle would have to be increased if the doors opened outwards anyway that's why we do it in renovations when space is at a premium

Edited by LannaGuy

2 minutes ago, LannaGuy said:

you missed the point - we were discussing a toilet cubicle the M2 outside of that cubicle would have to be increased if the doors opened outwards

You missed the point, the m2 inside that cubicle would have to be increased if the door opened inwards.