Ubc Channels For New Hotel

simon43

My new hotel is now open in Phuket. But I have a problem with the TV channels in the 10 bedrooms.

I get some 'free-to-air' non-Thai channels off one of the satellites, and distribute these via multiple satellite receivers, combiners, splitters etc. That all works fine.

For Thai tv, I was receiving these channels from the terrestial VHF/UHF transmitters in Phuket. That was also fine until now!

It seems there is a new VHF communications transmitter at Phuket Airport. The airport antennas are about 200 metres from my hotel. So I now get continual interference on my VHF reception.

Although I could 'liaise' with the airport to try to resolve this problem, I think the better solution is to receive the Thai channels (and maybe others) from UBC, especially since the signal quality is so much better than VHF reception.

But here is the problem. As far as I am aware, UBC does not offer any special subscription package for small hotels. That means that you would need to install one decoder box for each channel that you wanted to receive, and also pay one monthly subscription per channel! - Rather expensive.

OK, I'm aware that there are various pirate cards/decoders etc that could provide a working solution. But I am only seeking suggestions for a legal solution which would enable me to distribute Thai and other satellite channels to my hotel rooms.

FYI, I currently get free-to-air channels from AsiaSat 2 and 3. This is a mix of (generally) boring TV channels from arab states, Cuba, Italy etc. But no channels in English with sport, music, movies etc.

I can't use the Supersport channels - they are also all encrypted and a single-user subscription is 50,000 baht per year.

I can't even get ABC from Australia - there is no line of sight at the low elevation angle.

Also, although I have an internet connection, internet TV still seems too unreliable....

Suggestions are welcome!!

Simon

OK - But that option is for UBC Cable, not UBC Satellite. I'm in Phuket, so don't have the cable option. Besides, when I click the weblink it doesn't find the page..... (not unusual for Thai websites!).

I'll try to call UBC re this.

Simon

OK - But that option is for UBC Cable, not UBC Satellite. I'm in Phuket, so don't have the cable option. Besides, when I click the weblink it doesn't find the page..... (not unusual for Thai websites!).

I'll try to call UBC re this.

Simon

I don't think I have ever stayed in a hotel with UBC satellite.

If you just want the Thai terrestrial channels broadcast on the UBC bird you don't need a UBC box or decoder, a free-to-air digital receiver and dish will get these just fine as well as the distance learning chanels (yes I've tried it). :o

All the Thai channels are free to air on Thaicom Sattelite.

Same satellite as UBC, but c-band, so requires big dish and will not suffer rainfade!

One big dish and the 5 receivers for the 5 thai channels, put everything in combiner and you're good to go!

There are some more usefull channels on that bird, BVN (Dutch/Belgian) for example...

=====================================================================

=====================================================================

http://www.ubctv.com/eng/product_equipment.aspx

Here they do speak about Dstv for CDMU .... It's still called UBC Cable Magic though.

My new hotel is now open in Phuket. But I have a problem with the TV channels in the 10 bedrooms.

I get some 'free-to-air' non-Thai channels off one of the satellites, and distribute these via multiple satellite receivers, combiners, splitters etc. That all works fine.

For Thai tv, I was receiving these channels from the terrestial VHF/UHF transmitters in Phuket. That was also fine until now!

It seems there is a new VHF communications transmitter at Phuket Airport. The airport antennas are about 200 metres from my hotel. So I now get continual interference on my VHF reception.

Although I could 'liaise' with the airport to try to resolve this problem, I think the better solution is to receive the Thai channels (and maybe others) from UBC, especially since the signal quality is so much better than VHF reception.

But here is the problem. As far as I am aware, UBC does not offer any special subscription package for small hotels. That means that you would need to install one decoder box for each channel that you wanted to receive, and also pay one monthly subscription per channel! - Rather expensive.

OK, I'm aware that there are various pirate cards/decoders etc that could provide a working solution. But I am only seeking suggestions for a legal solution which would enable me to distribute Thai and other satellite channels to my hotel rooms.

FYI, I currently get free-to-air channels from AsiaSat 2 and 3. This is a mix of (generally) boring TV channels from arab states, Cuba, Italy etc. But no channels in English with sport, music, movies etc.

I can't use the Supersport channels - they are also all encrypted and a single-user subscription is 50,000 baht per year.

I can't even get ABC from Australia - there is no line of sight at the low elevation angle.

Also, although I have an internet connection, internet TV still seems too unreliable....

Suggestions are welcome!!

Simon

--------------------------------

Simon

Try these people , They are the Samarts manufacturer of Big dishes etc :-

P. Southern Group Co., Ltd.

32/1 Thungka Rd., Taladyai, Muang, Phuket 83000

Tel: 0-7622-5727 Fax: 0-7625-8363

E-mail: [email protected]\

Http://www.phuketbroadband.com

Also in phuket :-

Phuket Smart Homes

:- http://www.avcphuket.com

Suandaao

Hi Simon

On Asiasat 3 you will be able to receive Aljazeera News International - which is a very good English News Channel and seem to have pinched the best reporters from the BBC and CNN

It started broadcasting in November and is free to air.

You should certainly be able to see Panamsat 8 with BBC World and the Australia network at your location

As other posters have stated - a small mesh dish pointing at Thaicom 2/5 with a C band LNB and 6 receivers will allow you to rebroadcast the 6 Thai TV Channels - Cost should be under 20,000 Baht for this.

"FYI, I currently get free-to-air channels from AsiaSat 2 and 3. This is a mix of (generally) boring TV channels from arab states, Cuba, Italy etc. But no channels in English with sport, music, movies etc."