Richb2004v2

Why buy it? Just make your own, also great for toad in the hole

Yorkshire Pudding

Serves 4-6

300ml (½ pint) Milk

110g (4 oz) Plain Flour

1 Egg

Oil, Lard or Dripping

Place the flour in a bowl, then make a well in the centre and break in the egg.

Mix in half the milk using a wooden spoon, work the mixture until smooth then add the

remaining milk.

Beat or whisk until fully combined and the surface is covered with tiny bubbles.

Allow to rest for 15 to 30 minutes, whisk again before use.

Pre-heat oven to 220°C; 425°F: Gas 7.

Place a teaspoon of fat into 12 individual deep bun tins or a single large tin and place in the oven until the fat is very hot.

Pour the batter into the tins and bake for 10 to 15 minutes for individual puddings (or 30 to 35 minutes if using a large tin) or until risen and golden brown.

Did everything you said. Came out of the oven a beautiful colour but stodgy. Is it meant to be stodgy? Maybe I didn't beat enough?? But tasted alright for afternoon snack with a marmalade topping!

Keep beating tammi, your get the hang of it, in the end.

:o

• 1 year later...

More possible solutions for stodgy puds, or puds without holes in the centre:-

Could be putting too much batter into each cup

May be better to use half-fat milk

Try using one whole egg plus one egg white

The batter mix should be the consistancy of double cream

Try having the oven very high for the first few minutes (until the outsides have risen), then turn down the heat to about 190c to get a crispier finish

The flour makes a big difference - strong flour will make stodgy puds

My wife tried again yesterday. Sadly another failure. There was no cavity to them at all, if you know what I mean. How do you manage to get the outside to rise more? They seemed to rise equally. The outer was crispy, but the inner a little stodgy. My wife is a good cook, but can not master Yorkshire pudding.

As has been said the fat/oil has to be smoking hot. The other problems could be the tray you're using, it should be shallow, or maybe you're using too much mix in the tray.

Try experimenting until you succeed.

Ok, where do I get Yorkshire puddings in Pattaya? I have decided not to go out for Christmas dinner, but instead to have my wife whip one up at home. Sprouts I have found, but haven’t seen any Yorkshire Pudds yet. I’ve checked Friendship and another expat shop, but haven’t seen any.

Thanks

I'm a chef. If your Yorkies are soggy then the oven is not hot enough. Simple as that. Same with other bakery products like puff pastry etc. If they come out stodgy then oven temp. was too low.

The recipe quoted before looks good. make sure you let it stand before using. Remember to switch the oven on beofre you make the mixture. Allow the mix to stand 30 minutes. Re-mix beofre using.

Heat the NON STICK oven pan VERY HOT, unitl smoking with fat or oil. Do this in the oven. Not on top of the stove. You can by non stick spray at the supermarket.

The action of the heat on the eggs makes the mixture rise. You can make the mixture half milk and half water but is not better only cheaper!

Make sure they are cooked through before you take them out of the oven or they will fall. Once cooked you can leave them to cool for up to 4-6 hours. That means you can make them in advance and re-heat when needed. They also freeze very well.

• 1 year later...
I'm almost certain they have them in Foodland. They also have really nice English breakfast sausages that I cooked with the turkey last year - yummy!!

Taking a rest this year :)

Does anyone know if Yorkshire Puddings are still available in Foodland?

not been funny but why dont you have a look yourself??you are very Knowledgeable about most places and you are very well versed in what is happening around town, and foodland is not exactly out of the way, or do you just want to restart out of date threads???

I'm almost certain they have them in Foodland. They also have really nice English breakfast sausages that I cooked with the turkey last year - yummy!!

not been funny but why dont you have a look yourself??you are very Knowledgeable about most places and you are very well versed in what is happening around town, and foodland is not exactly out of the way, or do you just want to restart out of date threads???

Well I have read every post and it covers most everything

However there is an important part of the procedure that no one has mentioned

And it is the most important part if you want the puddings to rise proper

Some of you got close - but not close enough

Give you a clue - you are trying to make the puds in Thailand not Yorkshire

What's the difference?

Syd,I just noticed that on page 296 of this forum is a thread about seafood.Just to notify you that you've overlooked that one in your search to reopen the oldest threads possible.

The main thing that goes wrong with YP is that the oven is not HOT enough!

the other is making it too early and letting it cool....

since when are they part of Xmas dinner?....not that I don't think it's a good idea, mind!

Right made a note of those two points.

If I remember rightly my mum would serve YP at Christmas but then we also had it most other days as well, but that was because we never had enough money to buy food and it was always served first with gravy in order to fill you up, then we would not eat so much of the expensive stuff when the main course arrived. Eeee lad those were t days...

You ad Gravy! - You spoilt batsrds! Days! you had bloody days - you spoilt batsrads................. We ad nowt but nights! but we were appy!...........