Zen and the art of fescue

Okay, I know, this is an odd request for information from the good folks on Samui. I'm looking for grass (lawn) seed. I live on Phangan, went to the local seed dealer and was told they don't sell it and can't get it. I have seen grass growing here...Someone must sell seeds. I want to plant about 1 rai for erosion/weed control and beautification.Sod is available but way too pricey. I'm not very familiar with Samui.. Any help out there??? 

What they tell you is correct, you cannot buy grass seed here... It is supposedly to protect the rice farmers around Thailand. Only golf courses can buy it and you cannot buy from them either I have tried! .

Best thing to do is buy the turf (much smaller amount than would cover the area fully covered) and make plugs and plant small pieces ... very tedious to do,  but it works, but must be watered  every day sometimes more than once or twice (as you would have to do with seed) ... for a few weeks while it fills in, Plant plugs about 9 " apart staggered in "WWWW" shaped lines...

It works as I have done it over 1/4 rai ... but that kind of area is going to take a bit of time to plant. Do not buy more than you can plant by in a day or two ... as it won't keep well as new turf.

Please ask gardening related questions here ! .:thumbsup:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/354759-gardening-on-the-islands/?page=39

2 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

What they tell you is correct, you cannot buy grass seed here... It is supposedly to protect the rice farmers around Thailand. Only golf courses can buy it and you cannot buy from them either I have tried! .

Best thing to do is buy the turf (much smaller amount than would cover the area fully covered) and make plugs and plant small pieces ... very tedious to do,  but it works, but must be watered  every day sometimes more than once or twice (as you would have to do with seed) ... for a few weeks while it fills in, Plant plugs about 9 " apart staggered in "WWWW" shaped lines...

It works as I have done it over 1/4 rai ... but that kind of area is going to take a bit of time to plant. Do not buy more than you can plant by in a day or two ... as it won't keep well as new turf.

Please ask gardening related questions here ! .:thumbsup:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/354759-gardening-on-the-islands/?page=39

Thanks Jimmy... I guess there is only one thing I can do... Apply for a golf course construction permit.

9 hours ago, Green Acres said:

Thanks Jimmy... I guess there is only one thing I can do... Apply for a golf course construction permit.

:cheesy: Mini Golf perhaps!  I doubt you'll get far with that....:crying:

Leveling and preparing the ground is going to be a lot of work, depending on your soil conditions ....which ever way it's done!