Quieter places in the south for a family holiday

naboo

I will be in the south for 4 weeks in July with my wife and young daughter. The last week will be with my sister in Phuket - her choice. We will have our car, so travel is not a problem, with only some islands being a difficulty.

I'm looking for recommendations on places to visit considering:

• Our idea of places to stay are places like Dolphin Bay resort in Prachuap Kirikan with pool and playground and lots of other kids for our daughter
  • Alternatively, we like bungalows on the beach, remember a great spot on Mae Nam on Koh Samui with a Bungalow at 500B directly on the beach.
  • Gulf of Thailand side is preferable for the weather at that time (my sister doesn't listen)
  • Budget for accommodation for 4 weeks is about 40,000B, some cheaper days in a 500B bungalow would be nice so that we can splurge a bit at other times. Looking at places from 500B to 2500B per night.
  • Locations anywhere between Hua Hin and the Malaysian border are fine. I will drive as having the car is useful, but I will fly the wife and daughter down to Hat Yai if we're going to that area.
  • Ideal locations would have a clean, quiet beach, good inexpensive seafood, avoiding major tourist spots - Phuket is far too busy for us, Mae Nam on Koh Samui is just about quiet enough, Dolphin Bay (Sam Roi Yot National Park) is a bit too quiet.

So, please tell me about good places you know.

A general tour looping around the whole  area would be good,  after  heading off of Samui.  There are nice beaches, Bang Por, Ban Tai, Maenam, where you can still find good places in the 500 baht a night range.. usually just across the road from the beach at least in Bang Por (fan only about 300 baht rooms and they are not too bad!) Also nice beaches in the south an SW parts of Samui.

Then try the area south of Surratthanni city./ Donsak heading south..check out Khanom, very quiet with choices of hotels and nice beaches. Caves in the area to check out too. Then head south along the coast road, Thali Noi Lake area is very nice, near Ranot / Ranod/ Ranode depending on which sign you read. !  There are rooms on the lake which I understand are rented out by "donation"  look nice, but never tried them. (nice little village) you can rent a long tail boat and trip around the lake... (actually better in April when lilies are blooming but will still be nice.)

As suggested in last post, Songkhla city .... several places to stay...Hat Yai, is not the best of places, but only 20 or 30 kms from Songkhla City.  Then head across to Trang area on west coast, (not done yet, but hear it is nice!)  Up to Krabi area then if you really have to go to Phuket !:ohmy: ... you really need to talk to your sister!    :laugh:    But I think rain season on the west coast in July... that could alter plans as you go!  But all these areas are an easy  drive all within hours of each other.

Head up towards Phang naga after Phuket, (Walkers Inn in Kkao Lak was pretty reasonable place to stay).   then perhaps across to Khao Sok National park area in the mountains, very beautiful ... again if no rain!  You sometimes need to head off the main road, to see some interesting spots to look see, although not all places have places to stay.

You may find the eastern side of the peninsula dryer!... you also could consider doing all in reverse ....

July is starting to get the summer tourists on Samui, but the prices are the same at lower cost resorts, year round... You could also consider going to Koh Phangan and spent a few days there, Check out Maehaad/ Koh Ma on NW corner od Koh Phangan.... Raja ferry from Lipa Noi Samui, has ferry every day to Tongsala KP. Has to be booked a day in advance..

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, DoctorG said:

Songkhla City.  Smaller city, nice beach, nice people.

I'd have to agree. My wife, daughter-in-law,  grandson and I spent a few days at the Samila Beach Hotel--we paid B1400 each for two large adjoining rooms overlooking the pool and the beach, but my DIL is from Songkhla and got us a discount, so I'd say about B2K to B2.5k per night. The hotel is quite family- and child-friendly--playrooms, babysitting services, kiddy pool--hotel also has a golf course and the beach has things to see and do--even pony rides for the kids--there are good seafood restaurants within a short walk down the beach.

And, a short drive up or down the beach will find several other resorts. 

And as Samui jimmy says, Khanom is a must visit - I lived there for a few years, and it's a wonderful place to stay, relax and enjoy. Beautiful beaches with cabins alongside, quiet, and friendly. Just right for a relaxing time, and accommodation is not expensive - around the daily 1500 mark for a top hotel and dropping down to a few hundred baht for a basic resort cabin. If you want a contact there, PM me. 

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Khanom or ao nang . Cross samui off your list as maenam is a traffic nightmare in daytime now as it expands from bophut.

Nonsense ... traffic usually at it worst during rush times 7 to 9 am .... 4 to about 6 pm. otherwise very doable... Quieter areas would be west parts  of Maenam anyway.

4 hours ago, samuijimmy said:

A general tour looping around the whole  area would be good,  after  heading off of Samui.  There are nice beaches, Bang Por, Ban Tai, Maenam, where you can still find good places in the 500 baht a night range.. usually just across the road from the beach at least in Bang Por (fan only about 300 baht rooms and they are not too bad!) Also nice beaches in the south an SW parts of Samui.

Then try the area south of Surratthanni city./ Donsak heading south..check out Khanom, very quiet with choices of hotels and nice beaches. Caves in the area to check out too. Then head south along the coast road, Thali Noi Lake area is very nice, near Ranot / Ranod/ Ranode depending on which sign you read. !  There are rooms on the lake which I understand are rented out by "donation"  look nice, but never tried them. (nice little village) you can rent a long tail boat and trip around the lake... (actually better in April when lilies are blooming but will still be nice.)

As suggested in last post, Songkhla city .... several places to stay...Hat Yai, is not the best of places, but only 20 or 30 kms from Songkhla City.  Then head across to Trang area on west coast, (not done yet, but hear it is nice!)  Up to Krabi area then if you really have to go to Phuket !:ohmy: ... you really need to talk to your sister!    :laugh:    But I think rain season on the west coast in July... that could alter plans as you go!  But all these areas are an easy  drive all within hours of each other.

Head up towards Phang naga after Phuket, (Walkers Inn in Kkao Lak was pretty reasonable place to stay).   then perhaps across to Khao Sok National park area in the mountains, very beautiful ... again if no rain!  You sometimes need to head off the main road, to see some interesting spots to look see, although not all places have places to stay.

You may find the eastern side of the peninsula dryer!... you also could consider doing all in reverse ....

July is starting to get the summer tourists on Samui, but the prices are the same at lower cost resorts, year round... You could also consider going to Koh Phangan and spent a few days there, Check out Maehaad/ Koh Ma on NW corner od Koh Phangan.... Raja ferry from Lipa Noi Samui, has ferry every day to Tongsala KP. Has to be booked a day in advance..

Hope that helps!

If you do book a ferry with a car get a return ticket, or you may have to queue up for hours waiting for a ferry place. 

50 minutes ago, samuijimmy said:

Nonsense ... traffic usually at it worst during rush times 7 to 9 am .... 4 to about 6 pm. otherwise very doable... Quieter areas would be west parts  of Maenam anyway.

Ok you get in a car and drive from maenam traffic lights area to big c anytime in the next 7 hours and let me know how you get on .

1 hour ago, ronaldo0 said:

Ok you get in a car and drive from maenam traffic lights area to big c anytime in the next 7 hours and let me know how you get on .

Extremely well – just back right now, about an hour from your post – do the trip from Maenam to Bo Phut shopping mall area and back many times a week, both in and outside rush-hours. However, especially Friday evening and sometimes Monday evening also, both when there are Walking Street in Fisherman Village and parking by the Wharf, the traffic can be extremely slow driving from Maenam towards Bo Phut...:whistling:

18 hours ago, naboo said:

Alternatively, we like bungalows on the beach, remember a great spot on Mae Nam on Koh Samui with a Bungalow at 500B directly on the beach.

Concerning bungalows for 500 baht directly on the beach in Maenam may still be possible, but difficult to find – and fan only – as most of the old backpacker-tourist bungalows have long gone. The area between so-called Lomprayah Pier and till mid Maenam, about soi 4 (Walking Street), is your best option, probably something in this area (Google map link). If you'll up your price to around 800 baht you got more choices – including central situated beach-bungalows at Maenam Walking Street (fx. G-House, 800 baht this year) – as the the cheap bungalows are only really cheap in low season, and July is high-season.

:smile:

7 hours ago, fulhamboy said:

If you do book a ferry with a car get a return ticket, or you may have to queue up for hours waiting for a ferry place. 

If you book  Raja vehicle ferry to  Koh Phangan, (which has to be done the day before,) you get on the ferry the time it goes... which ever way you go...

Example here: 2 people  and vehicle 770 baht  three ferries a day, to KP and back to Samui.

https://www.rajaferryport.com/?act=b2&title=eTicket

If you book or just go to the terminal on the day you want to travel  in Lipa Noi, or Tongsala you may have to wait... for ferry with space ...

Ferries to mainland, maybe be a one sailing wait of one hour, except possibly on busiest holidays... Ferries leave every hour during the day... Seatran, Raja etc.

We are well served with ferries...

Removed a Samui bashing post.... seems some people obviously either have no idea of what they are talking about or perhaps do not see past their nose....or a bar stool.:coffee1:

Strange, I have visitors currently on their  fourth trip to Samui and say it's one of the nicest places they travel in Asia... Heard that before also from many other people. But they avoid the traps of Chawang and places like that. Many places on Samui to get away from the "tourist trap areas"  and have a pleasant relaxing time.

Seems too many people have an "axe to grind", because they must go and spend time in wrong areas, whether it be Koh Samui or anywhere else in Thailand .

One has to wonder why so  people come back year after year and enjoy themselves and can't wait to come back...