Trump again vows to bring back U.S. jobs, but offers few details

webfact

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

If they can do it cheaper, then why not?  Absolutely brilliant!  Deal with the few that work in that industry and put our focus on other industries where we excel.  Education is a key here and Trump's not focusing on that.

We tried a trade war with this and lost.  Sure, saved a few jobs in the steel industry....for a short time....and lost a bunch of others due to retaliation by the Chinese.  Brilliant!

Well I can tell that we definitely stand divided on this issue. I will continue to stand up for the US worker till I die. Our minimum wage is nothing short of voluntary slavery.

18 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Also technology advances (innovation!), strong US dollar that hurts exports, a expanding digital economy that requires fewer workers (or even their physical presence), shift to an economy based on intellectual property, services (ie., healthcare) and evolution of emerging global economies into competitive developed economies. This isn't the 1960's-1970's. Trump would do better to provide free college education and/or specialized training for the newest economic sectors.

Like it or not Trump or the next genius that inhabits the White House will have to take a serious look at a guaranteed income. Its the only answer to counter what is coming down the AI-robotic pipeline. If nobody is  making money who will buy all these wonderful items falling off of conveyor belts. This shift will produce more for a shrinking base of workers with moola. They already produce items of dubious quality to pull the suckers back in what will their next step be oh yeah everybody will switch to producing cruise missiles 

7 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

100% agree.  But the demise of the unions was also the fault of the unions.  There's more they could have done instead of just being combative.  I use to work in a union in Vegas.  Basically run like the mafia.  Though in the beginning, unions achieved a lot.

There was a place for unions but times have changed.

Times have changed, I think Trump would be better of encouraging people to get into the growing renewable energy sector instead of sunset industries like coal. There are many shortage of labors in skilled industries, I think the government should be promoting this as well.

There will be an increase of jobs as more baby boomers continue to retire in the next 10 years or so.

There is a lot that can be done, easier said than done but I think Trump is approaching the employment problem from the wrong angle. Some industries will never recover, many of his supporters are older and they keep on thinking of times when jobs were abundant and less competitive.

On 2/23/2017 at 9:37 PM, kamahele said:

Lack of details? Trump supporters don't need details, it's all about the anger for them, not the truth. I'm all for increasing opportunities for the American work force but the limited details that Mr. Trump and his staff provide are usually either wrong or have been proven unworkable. 

Spot on. Trump is and always has been a buffoon and a blowhard. Lots of BS with very little substance. Reveling in his own personal reality and making up shit that just spews out of his face hole. Teflon Don won't last forever. His orange non-stick lying, cheating, abusive, abrasive, exploitative conning surface is showing serious signs of wear. Now that he is Prez, the shit won't slide off so easily. :bah:

Edited by Skeptic7

12 hours ago, USPatriot said:

He has stopped companies from leaving. Keep doing a great job.

On the average, every working day, roughly 75000 Americans are laid off or fired.  By the most generous estimate Trump has saved a few thousand jobs.  That's just a fraction of jobs that are lost daily. It's what should be called fake policy. Basically, it fools people who are clueless about numbers. Real policy is something Trump hasn't got a clue about. 

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 6:49 AM, craigt3365 said:

Impossible to bring most jobs back.  And as has been discussed before, automation is a key reason for loss of manufacturing jobs. 

To a point I agree with you. But then you have to look at China. China is not more automated than the USA, but yet the US suffers a huge trade deficient with China. So why is that?

As they say in China "Many hands makes light work". What China has above the USA is "Cheap Labor".  Many countries capitalize on that including Thailand. Even the USA when it comes to picking fruit. But for the high paying manufactory jobs they can't compete.

Many of the large companies have moved out of the USA in favor of Cheap Labor. There was a time when you could only buy a Ford Car or Truck made in Detroit. Now Detroit is almost a Ghost Town! This holds true for almost any large company. If people there were only able to buy products made in the USA, this would help. But nobody is going to force them and nobody is going to pay 50% more for a product just because t was made there.

So what is the solution? A lot of money and incentives to move back. If a company can make more money making their products in the USA, then they can in China, they would move back. But how can you do this at American Wages?

So perhaps advanced Automation can do this as this makes thing more productive. But this usually means a reduction in the Labor Force which is not the solution either. To be honest I don't know how they can do this. But it will be interesting to give a Billionaire a try and see what he comes up with.  

11 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

On the average, every working day, roughly 75000 Americans are laid off or fired.  By the most generous estimate Trump has saved a few thousand jobs.  That's just a fraction of jobs that are lost daily. It's what should be called fake policy. Basically, it fools people who are clueless about numbers. Real policy is something Trump hasn't got a clue about. 

I think it's more like 50k per day, but more were hired.  Thus, job growth.  During Obama's tenure.

http://mollysmiddleamerica.blogspot.com/2013/08/how-many-people-are-fired-each-year-in.html

An average of 166,404 people were HIRED EACH DAY so far in 2015.  An average of 161,126 people left their jobs for any reason each day in 2015.  On average, 5,300 MORE people were hired each day in 2015 than left their jobs for any reason in 2015.  At this pace, we will add at least 1.9 million jobs this year.     

Edited by craigt3365

8 hours ago, GOLDBUGGY said:

To a point I agree with you. But then you have to look at China. China is not more automated than the USA, but yet the US suffers a huge trade deficient with China. So why is that?

As they say in China "Many hands makes light work". What China has above the USA is "Cheap Labor".  Many countries capitalize on that including Thailand. Even the USA when it comes to picking fruit. But for the high paying manufactory jobs they can't compete.

Many of the large companies have moved out of the USA in favor of Cheap Labor. There was a time when you could only buy a Ford Car or Truck made in Detroit. Now Detroit is almost a Ghost Town! This holds true for almost any large company. If people there were only able to buy products made in the USA, this would help. But nobody is going to force them and nobody is going to pay 50% more for a product just because t was made there.

So what is the solution? A lot of money and incentives to move back. If a company can make more money making their products in the USA, then they can in China, they would move back. But how can you do this at American Wages?

So perhaps advanced Automation can do this as this makes thing more productive. But this usually means a reduction in the Labor Force which is not the solution either. To be honest I don't know how they can do this. But it will be interesting to give a Billionaire a try and see what he comes up with.  

Good article to read:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall/2016/11/17/trump-cant-make-apples-iphone-manufacturing-come-back-and-it-wouldnt-help-if-he-could/#20baa0c86689

Trump Can't Make Apple's iPhone Manufacturing Come Back - And It Wouldn't Help If He Could

One of those famed promises of Donald Trump's is that his policies, now that he's President-elect, will make Apple bring back their iPhone manufacturing to America. Ever so slightly an odd claim given that they never have been domestically manufactured so "back" isn't really possible. Further, as one of my colleagues points out, it's not really true that if tariffs are placed upon Chinese imports then the production will relocate to the U.S. Could well go somewhere even cheaper. There's also the problem that the U.S. almost certainly doesn't have the hinterland to be able to produce in such volumes.

Edited by craigt3365

What seems to be often lost in this discussion on US manufacturing is the fact that output is at record levels and all signs say it will continue to grow. The problem is it is being done with millions of fewer people.  Putting a tariff on Chinese goods or a"border tax" is not going to make more jobs. It will only make imported goods more expensive and make corporations more profits.

TH 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28

MW-EI733_output_20160325121729_MG.jpg

21 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

Spot on. Trump is and always has been a buffoon and a blowhard. Lots of BS with very little substance. Reveling in his own personal reality and making up shit that just spews out of his face hole. Teflon Don won't last forever. His orange non-stick lying, cheating, abusive, abrasive, exploitative conning surface is showing serious signs of wear. Now that he is Prez, the shit won't slide off so easily. :bah:

I think if he goes back in time he can solve that.

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

I think if he goes back in time he can solve that.

I doubt that any manufacturers of men's hair styling creams or gels would want to be seen to be associated with Trump. They would be open to accusations of setting a very bad president.

18 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I doubt that any manufacturers of men's hair styling creams or gels would want to be seen to be associated with Trump. They would be open to accusations of setting a very bad president.

Sorry to mislead you I was using Brylcream in reference to this statement. Sorry if the humor did not catch. 

Now that he is Prez, the shit won't slide off so easily. :bah:

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

Puntastic!

1 hour ago, elgordo38 said:

Sorry to mislead you I was using Brylcream in reference to this statement...

Too subtle?

:wink:

7 hours ago, thaihome said:

What seems to be often lost in this discussion on US manufacturing is the fact that output is at record levels and all signs say it will continue to grow. The problem is it is being done with millions of fewer people.  

Good post on a topic that people seem to ignore or not understand quite often. Automation is going to cost many millions of more jobs. There's no stopping it, but many people aren't going to be fit for the more technical jobs. It's a serious issue that the world is going to be facing in the near future as AI, robotics, and automation improves, and prices on things like 3d printers are driven down. 

Edited by jcsmith

8 hours ago, thaihome said:

What seems to be often lost in this discussion on US manufacturing is the fact that output is at record levels and all signs say it will continue to grow. The problem is it is being done with millions of fewer people.  Putting a tariff on Chinese goods or a"border tax" is not going to make more jobs. It will only make imported goods more expensive and make corporations more profits.

TH 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28

MW-EI733_output_20160325121729_MG.jpg

Not only at record levels but hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs go unfilled because many employers can't find the workers with advanced job skills required for new types of positions, such as 3D manufacturing or operating complex machinery.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/21/news/economy/job-openings-manufacturing-trump/

http://www.genfkd.org/blue-collar-skills-gap-manufacturing-jobs-going-unfilled

https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/hidden-manufacturing-opportunity