Silly roadsigns

modafinil

Every time I pass this roadsign I wonder why it's there. It's on the road going from Thalang to Cherngtalay.

What makes this sign silly is that 600m after the roadsign, there is a crossroads complete with traffic lights. If you turn right here, you end up cruising around Laguna Phuket. Good luck getting to Surin or Kamala beaches from here, unless you are travelling by boat! To have any chance of getting to Kamala or Surin, you actually have to turn left here, and keep going until you reach the T-junction, another 500m.

I cannot imagine how the sign-writers thought that this sign would be helpful to tourists or Thais.

silly roadsigns.jpgsilly 2.jpg

Edited by modafinil
close up

On the coastal road from Layan to Naithon (the Trisara road) there are similar large blue signs which on the way going north (after leaving Layan) say "Layan Beach", and on the way south, after Nai Thon, say "Nai Thon Beach". They have simply put up the wrong signs at the time of installing about 3 years ago, and no official has done anything about it since then. If you are a tourist, you will be hopelessly lost and confused.

This is after leaving Naithon heading south to Layan

https://www.google.com/maps/@8.0396457,98.2804573,3a,75y,14.83h,93.42t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1soCzLbz62Gq6r9jhwVRZ38Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

And this is at Trisara heading north just before Nai Thon Beach

https://www.google.com/maps/@8.0387351,98.2765963,3a,37.5y,266.29h,86.84t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1slu4pLMZrUNXStEalZPaqSg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en&authuser=0

There are several more

This is as you come towards Laguna near Layan gardens/ Phuket Pavilions

https://www.google.com/maps/@8.0265158,98.2963645,3a,75y,141.63h,77.19t/data=!3m9!1e1!3m7!1s3t9joalgKiBCPIKAaLkvDg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i45?hl=en&authuser=0

It's pathetic that (a) someone presumably signed off on the work after installation - the signs are also in Thai - , and (b) nobody's bothered to fix it.

Edited by stuarty

Well spotted, stuarty. I particularly like your first link, where there two signs at each side of the road. One sign is correctly pointing towards Nai Thon, but the sign at the other side of the road claims that Nai Thon is located in the opposite direction!

What could the people who installed these signs have been thinking? "Yes, travel East to go to Nai Thon Beach. Or West. Up to you".

1 hour ago, modafinil said:

Well spotted, stuarty. I particularly like your first link, where there two signs at each side of the road. One sign is correctly pointing towards Nai Thon, but the sign at the other side of the road claims that Nai Thon is located in the opposite direction!

What could the people who installed these signs have been thinking? "Yes, travel East to go to Nai Thon Beach. Or West. Up to you".

I know, and its been the situation for years, and nobody's done anything, e.g. any of the hoteliers, or any restauranteur etc.,  at either end. 

Edited by stuarty

My personal favorite is this sign on the road from Promthep Cape down to Ya Nui Beach which says "Kata - Karon - Patong - Phuket". I just can't come up with any explanation as to why someone would have thought this makes any sense whatsoever. Good luck travelers :)

https://www.google.co.th/maps/@7.7661523,98.3070686,3a,37.5y,40.86h,82.47t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sbbj-swgNWw8CNi-_wuxeOA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656