Tourist who hit three year old in Chiang Mai is a Canadian professor

rooster59

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Did anyone clicked the link of the source: Manager ?

Pure madness!  pictures of the man...

but also  full copy of his passport with date of birth passport number everything ! Ting tong :post-4641-1156693976:

Calling it "ting tong"puts a misplaced humorous slant on it. It is effin irresponsible stupidity, and why do the police even release a photo of the passport to the media? They are a bunch of incompetents. And what is with the grinning clowns in brown on the photo with the bike?

That poor Canadian should not be prosecuted. He is the vicitim of a stupid 56 year old English guy and his bimbo 23 year old spanish wife pushing a pram into a busy street. If the bike had not hit them, then something else would have. Or they would have caused another accident as drivers swerved to avoid them. There was simply nowhere safe to stop in the middle with a pram. Even a single pedestrian would have been in danger.

And please stop accusing him of doing a runner.

He stopped and waited until the abulance had taken the child away.

4 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They are both at fault for the accident but you are a useless human being for leaving the scene without helping,

Helping how? Give the child a ride on his motorcycle to the hospital? The child couldn't be helped by him. For Thailand he pretty much did what is prudent and popular.Besides the article says he stayed until the ambulance took the child away.

As I can't tell from the video given it's been cut and doesn't show the ambulance arriving or leaving. Given its cut perhaps that's the missing section. Did the police arrive and then find the rider had already left the scene. Or did the police just view the clip of the accident the next day 

If it turns out the family was already away to the hospital before the rider left the scene, was there an expectation for the rider to sit at the roadside awaiting the arrival of the police, which may or may not have happened that same evening.

It is sad to ear about the kid but they are both Farang and in Thailand how will they settle this one the thai would not interfere with negotiation if there to be.

Hope the kid pull out of this ok. I am sure the police will see about visa's and permission to stay so they could make a little buck  off farangs mistakes.

The reason why these parents started to cross the road is because the vehicle in the closest of the 2 lanes actually stopped for them; the parent's BIG mistake was to assume that ALL traffic would do the same; which was at their peril !  -  This is also the reason why I NEVER try to be 'gallant' in traffic and stop to let people cross, because I realize that my fellow motorists will NOT stop . . . . . . extremely dangerous scenario: every time !

28 minutes ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Calling it "ting tong"puts a misplaced humorous slant on it. It is effin irresponsible stupidity, and why do the police even release a photo of the passport to the media? They are a bunch of incompetents. And what is with the grinning clowns in brown on the photo with the bike?

That poor Canadian should not be prosecuted. He is the vicitim of a stupid 56 year old English guy and his bimbo 23 year old spanish wife pushing a pram into a busy street. If the bike had not hit them, then something else would have. Or they would have caused another accident as drivers swerved to avoid them. There was simply nowhere safe to stop in the middle with a pram. Even a single pedestrian would have been in danger.

And please stop accusing him of doing a runner.

He stopped and waited until the abulance had taken the child away.

"And please stop accusing him of doing a runner He stopped and waited until the abulance had taken the child away."

Ah yes so why I read In OP

"He fled the scene of the accident saying that he was in a state of shock."

Plus I have seen the video on Youtube he walked back a few meters looked a few seconds, no more, went back to his motorbike and drove away!

So stop accusing me of reading OP properly! 

The Parents are to blame for this IMO. Lucky an innocent party was not injured or killed.

I also wonder if all Pedestrian Crossing should be not painted out. I have almost been run over twice thinking I was ok to walk across them. They would be better of putting the money wasted on paint into Education or something hopefully more worthwhile.

4 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

Not only Thais abscond after a traffic incident/crash it appears.

First time I've heard of a farang doing it here, although there may have been other instances. If there are, I'm sure it's a very low percentage. The locals seem to do it as a matter of course. He deserves to be bounced for legging it, also the parents were culpable for not taking more care. 

Hope the little'n fully recovers, she's the innocent in all of this.

Biker not at fault normal tragic flow. Parents should be examined from the neck up and an IQ test immediately after blood alcohol level test. Maybe an insurance scam as well, what loving parent would do that unless under influence of drugs or alcohol. Did they have similar issues before on previous visits to LOS 

3 hours ago, manarak said:

err... from the video it seems clear he didn't flee the scene, he left after looking after the injured.

the video also shows that the buggy with the baby in it was pushed forward fast across the road in a totally irresponsible manner, I think the buggy pusher is more to blame than the motorcycle driver.

And.... if there is a pedestrian crossing within 100 meters of where you wish to cross (such as at the intersection where the camera was mounted), then crossing the road is illegal in Thailand, other than at that crossing.

IMG_3586.PNG

43 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

"And please stop accusing him of doing a runner He stopped and waited until the abulance had taken the child away."

Plus I have seen the video on Youtube he walked back a few meters looked a few seconds, no more, went back to his motorbike and drove away!

Mmmmm..... maybe not re read post... but perhaps re watch video.

at about 41 seconds, the video is spliced.... then again about 10 seconds later, so this is an edited video, which does not show the full picture

noteworthy is that , at the end of this edited video, the roadway at the scene of the accident is clear... traffic normal... no ambulance, which suggests that 12moredrinks is 100% correct.

the article should perhaps read " left the scene" vs "fled" because, quite obviously, he did not flee.

1 hour ago, IAMHERE said:

Helping how? Give the child a ride on his motorcycle to the hospital? The child couldn't be helped by him. For Thailand he pretty much did what is prudent and popular.Besides the article says he stayed until the ambulance took the child away.

the article doesn't say that and he has to pay for his mistake.

8 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Charge the parents with negligent parenting .

First it has to be ascertained who is the wealthiest. If the BIB plays it right they could get a 50-50 split. Humor aside it was a terrible accident with enough blame to go around. I would say the professors world tour has come to a definite halt. 

Mmmm, viewing the clip a few times it appears that just before the bike hit the child, the pushcart was pulled back with high force causing the child being ejected from the cart ann then the bike hit the child. 

For me the parents are totally at fault and for the rider fleeing the scene......he stopped a few meters passed the accident spot, he walked to the spot and then he moved on......question is just....why did he move on?

1 hour ago, Tchooptip said:

In the video you watched did the recording stop and then restart ? If it ran continuously it's not the same as any I've seen.

34 minutes ago, farcanell said:

Mmmmm..... maybe not re read post... but perhaps re watch video.

at about 41 seconds, the video is spliced.... then again about 10 seconds later, so this is an edited video, which does not show the full picture

noteworthy is that , at the end of this edited video, the roadway at the scene of the accident is clear... traffic normal... no ambulance, which suggests that 12moredrinks is 100% correct.

the article should perhaps read " left the scene" vs "fled" because, quite obviously, he did not flee.

Sorry next time I will wait till OP is  rewritting by a TV members:smile:

More seriously when I read "he fled the scene of the accident saying he was in a state of shock"

For me it is clear!  

In this sentence at least he recognised fledding  justifying it because he was in a state of shock .

Now if everything is wrong in OP maybe he never said that OK ! Or no one cros the street maybe it was not a little girl but a dog maybe he was not Canadian but an eskimo ?

... but sure I will stop justifying me on TV :jap:

I don't think that, after seeing the video clip, anyone is saying that the Canadian bike rider was fully to blame for the accident, accidents do happen and some are not really avoidable, especially when people walk out straight in front of you but what this guy is guilty of is running off after the accident. He should face severe punishment for this act alone. What is funny to me is that, just because it's 2 sets of foreigners involved and no thais, the usual posters here see nothing wrong with the guy driving off after an accident and putting a little girl in hospital. If it was a Thai motorbike rider who did the same thing, posters here would be outraged and looking for blood. Whatever the race, it is morally wrong to flee the scene of an accident, especially when you can see that someone is injured after the accident. Simple human reaction, mine anyway, would be to do whatever I could to help the injured and to make sure they were ok and to give a statement to the authorities who arrived in scene, not to run and not take responsibility. Being in shock is no excuse to run from the accident scene.

i would hope that this guy gets a custodial sentence for his actions.

47 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Mmmm, viewing the clip a few times it appears that just before the bike hit the child, the pushcart was pulled back with high force causing the child being ejected from the cart ann then the bike hit the child. 

For me the parents are totally at fault and for the rider fleeing the scene......he stopped a few meters passed the accident spot, he walked to the spot and then he moved on......question is just....why did he move on?

Panic fear a foreigner in a bad situation well versed on how the BIB deals with situations like this and mainly to hide his wallet

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

He was overtaking at an intersection, so he did make a mistake. But the parents pushed their kid out into traffic moving quickly because they could sense danger. 80% on the parents I'd say. But I am sure both parties are suffering from their actions.

No they are not. The person who is suffering is the 3 year old baby girl that at her age is completely reliant on the good judgements of adults for her well being. But instead the baby becomes a victim of negligence from ignorant parents and a so called professor at a loose end looking for work who did not give a crap about the child and fled the scene hoping he wouldn`t be found and have to face up for his actions.

Disgusting vile people who between them have probably ruined a child`s life. Both parents should lose custody of their child and the absent minded professor should be locked up for several years giving him time to reflect on the misery he has caused to an innocent child. 

3 minutes ago, Falcon said:

I don't think that, after seeing the video clip, anyone is saying that the Canadian bike rider was fully to blame for the accident, accidents do happen and some are not really avoidable, especially when people walk out straight in front of you but what this guy is guilty of is running off after the accident. He should face severe punishment for this act alone. What is funny to me is that, just because it's 2 sets of foreigners involved and no thais, the usual posters here see nothing wrong with the guy driving off after an accident and putting a little girl in hospital. If it was a Thai motorbike rider who did the same thing, posters here would be outraged and looking for blood. Whatever the race, it is morally wrong to flee the scene of an accident, especially when you can see that someone is injured after the accident. Simple human reaction, mine anyway, would be to do whatever I could to help the injured and to make sure they were ok and to give a statement to the authorities who arrived in scene, not to run and not take responsibility. Being in shock is no excuse to run from the accident scene.

i would hope that this guy gets a custodial sentence for his actions.

Under Thai law... believe it or not.... it's acceptable to leave, provided you turn yourself in to the law within a certain time frame ( can't remember exactly, but it might have been up to two days)

if this does does not happen, then guilt is assumed.

if the party involved, fails to report in before six months has passed, then there is a further assumption that the party was involved in a criminal enterprise

that said, and as has been pointed out, the bike rider did not leave until after the scene had been cleared... ambulance gone... traffic back to normal.

no police had attended by then, so how long should the guy wait for them to arrive?

TV are infamous for reporting falsities, and half truths.... rarely is the story complete and accurate.... hence the many pages of questions, assumptions, misassumptions and theorizing.

And again.... that said, if they did report the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, then the threads would be non existent.

No they are not. The person who is suffering is the 3 year old baby girl that at her age is completely reliant on the good judgements of adults for her well being. But instead the baby becomes a victim of negligence from ignorant parents and a so called professor at a loose end looking for work who did not give a crap about the child and fled the scene hoping he wouldn`t be found and have to face up for his actions.

Disgusting vile people who between them have probably ruined a child`s life. Both parents should lose custody of their child and the absent minded professor should be locked up for several years giving him time to reflect on the misery he has caused to an innocent child. 

Just a guess, from your reply that you haven't actually been in the driving seat, or riding a motorbike in traffic in Thailand. Sitting on the back doesn't count

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

He was overtaking at an intersection, so he did make a mistake. But the parents pushed their kid out into traffic moving quickly because they could sense danger. 80% on the parents I'd say. But I am sure both parties are suffering from their actions.

A mistake was certainly made... no doubt....  and both parties are suffering, even if cyberfarang wishes to say only the child is ( but hey... that's shallow, and besides, the child is a part of one of the parties..... both parties include a total of four people)

but.... if in an intersection, the vehicle in front of the bike, should not have been stopping (law, can't be bothered quoting the statute), causing the bike to swerve around it (overtake).... and even in doing so, (bike overtaking) it's still legal within 30 meters of the intersection ( roughly... again, it's in the traffic act somewhere)

the one law that does seem to have been broken, is crossing within a hundred meters of an intersection having a pedestrian crossing (that's 105 in the traffic act, I think).... but then, admittedly, I don't have a measuring devise to accurately state the distance tween intersection and traffic

Archived