Tourist who hit three year old in Chiang Mai is a Canadian professor

rooster59

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, thedemon said:

The original story from yesterday suggested that the motorbike rider did not "flee the scene" but left when the little girl was taken to hospital by accident.

Anyone driving a vehicle that hits a pedestrian in Thailand is going to pay. The degree of fault will only vary the amount.

Link ?

Because in the orinal post in Thai it is clear that himself said he fled the scene because of panic.

The police did not find him right away had he wait like some of you stubornly maintained the police would have known him (grrrr)...for many TV members 2+2 = not 4 

http://manager.co.th/Local/ViewNews.aspx?NewsID=9600000019400

22 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Link ?

Because in the orinal post in Thai it is clear that himself said he fled the scene because of panic.

The police did not find him right away had he wait like some of you stubornly maintained the police would have known him (grrrr)...for many TV members 2+2 = not 4 

Wow hey.... you have math problems.

attached is a paragraph from the origional post.

IMG_3588.PNG

46 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

Link ?

Stop and render assistance to victim = Decent person

Wait around for the Thai police to arrive = Stupid person

8 hours ago, BuyandSellThailand said:

If you’re WALKING on the ROAD and get HIT by a VEHICLE.

Don't blame the vehicle.  Don't blame the road.  Don't blame your shoes.  Blame yourself.

You apparently don't get down to Bangkok very often where sidewalk vendors, electric poles and illegally parked scooters and cars force people to walk on the roads in many locations.

I don't disagree with you in this case, after seeing the video- and especially pushing a stroller.  But you're casting a pretty wide net.  In fact, I had to walk in the road in 4 or 5 locations on my weekly jaunt to Chinatown this morning.  Mostly construction, and all the other factors I mentioned

6 minutes ago, impulse said:

You apparently don't get down to Bangkok very often where sidewalk vendors, electric poles and illegally parked scooters and cars force people to walk on the roads in many locations.

I don't disagree with you in this case, after seeing the video- and especially pushing a stroller.  But you're casting a pretty wide net.  In fact, I had to walk in the road in 4 or 5 locations on my weekly jaunt to Chinatown this morning.  Mostly construction, and all the other factors I mentioned

And if you got hit, while illegally walking on the road, who would be to blame?

5 minutes ago, farcanell said:

And if you got hit, while illegally walking on the road, who would be to blame?

There's a more basic question to answer- why were thousands (yes, literally- thousands of us -just this morning alone) forced to walk "illegally" on the road?

Edit;  If you want to apportion blame, that's where you start.  Just like they would back home- with lawsuits in the $$ millions.

My impulse is blame the fellow for leaving the scene of the accident. It's deplorable behavior, especially when a child is injured. However, with the real possibility that the driver would have been beaten to death by a mob, simply because he was a white foreigner, I can understand his actions. He should have driven to a police station and turned himself in. The parents bear the majority of the blame, however. Pathetic and reckless behavior.

If you’re WALKING on the ROAD and get HIT by a VEHICLE.

Don't blame the vehicle.  Don't blame the road.  Don't blame your shoes.  Blame yourself. 

And to push a helpless bound child first as you walk out onto a busy traffic is so reckless and irresponsible. 

The diver should not have left the scene and should be charged with leaving the scene of an accident only.

Don’t pet crocodiles, don’t kiss poisons snakes and don’t walk on busy roads.

Sorry if its confusing!!!!

Are you posting from abroad? If you take in stroll in many parts of Chiang Mai city you have to walk on the road there is no pavement. If there is a pavement it may have been taken over by motorcycle repair shop, a food cart , totally blocked by an old phone box, a tree, a concrete post etc You have no choice but walk in the road! 

2 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Really AofP ?

You have posted many good comments in the past but this is one I would expect of a Muppet !!

He could very easily be English with Spanish parents....

To serious Carlos, I dont consider anyone to be English unless Brilliant White and in situ over there before your Oggie was invented.I was born at Sea so im a Fish by rights.

3 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Are you posting from abroad? If you take in stroll in many parts of Chiang Mai city you have to walk on the road there is no pavement. If there is a pavement it may have been taken over by motorcycle repair shop, a food cart , totally blocked by an old phone box, a tree, a concrete post etc You have no choice but walk in the road! 

But that was definitely not the case here.

Stupid parents, nothing else. 

If there is a law regarding leaving the scene of an accident, then he may well be guilty, but no way is he responsible for the accident.

3 minutes ago, Chicog said:

But that was definitely not the case here.

Stupid parents, nothing else. 

If there is a law regarding leaving the scene of an accident, then he may well be guilty, but no way is he responsible for the accident.

Yes not the case with the stroller family on that stretch of road. They made a bad choice and almost entirely their fault. If you do walk in CM city you have to walk on the road though almost impossible not to.

2 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

Yes not the case with the stroller family on that stretch of road. They made a bad choice and almost entirely their fault. If you do walk in CM city you have to walk on the road though almost impossible not to.

Yes, Nimman in particular is a bloody joke.

And to push a helpless bound child first as you walk out onto a busy traffic is so reckless and irresponsible. 

Did anyone stop and think .. oh, I forgot, Thailand is the country of what I call "thinking optional."  

Thinking here is not necessary.

The parents pushed the child into the road.

Did any of you for one second consider the child was probably pushed into the road in a stroller or pram as you Brits like to call it?

Again, thinking optional.  How dare those parents push a pram ahead of them.  Everyone knows you pull a pram backwards, you don't push it.

37 minutes ago, impulse said:

There's a more basic question to answer- why were thousands (yes, literally- thousands of us -just this morning alone) forced to walk "illegally" on the road?

Edit;  If you want to apportion blame, that's where you start.  Just like they would back home- with lawsuits in the $$ millions.

Im not apportioning blame.... I asked a question of someone who is admitting to breaking the law.

im not suggesting there is much choice, either.... I agree, you have to break the law to get from A to B... but hey, your breaking the law, none the less

i also agree that the police should tackle the cause that requires you, and thousands of others, to break the law... because they too, are breaking the law, to a greater extent, and with a greater potential of harm, than you, and the thousands of others like you

that said, my question remained unanswered.... whilst breaking the law, who would you blame, if you were hit?

13 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

Charge the parents with negligent parenting .

Charge the guy with fleeing the scene. Some alcohol or recreational stuff in his blood doesn't look good on his resume.

And this guy is looking for a teaching position? He's got a great character leaving a little badly injured kid. 

Sorry, but what would you do if that was your child?

12 hours ago, jerojero said:

Passing without due care and attention, but also wheeling a child "across the road" (not at intersection). Who is at fault? Both.

I don't know about in Thailand but being both at fault does not prevent one from being convicted in the UK, it would reduce the amount they could sue the driver for but he would still be tried for his own negligence.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

Stop and render assistance to victim = Decent person

Wait around for the Thai police to arrive = Stupid person

On the video one can see clearly he did not even approached the victim went back for a few meters towards the accident, yes, but stay away looked a few second and back on his motorbike, so sorry assistance to no one. 

3 hours ago, 8OA8 said:

Just a guess, from your reply that you haven't actually been in the driving seat, or riding a motorbike in traffic in Thailand. Sitting on the back doesn't count

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

I`ve been driving cars and motorbikes for over 20 years in Thailand and many years before that in England. If I were to run over a child, whether it be my fault or not, my first and only concern would be for the well being of that child. Any person that can knock a child down in a road and then skip the scene, is a pure scumbag and anyone who can see justifications for the absent minded professor`s reasons for running off not caring if the child were dead or alive is also a scumbag.

I am positive 1 mil% that if the child in the OP was your granddaughter or a family member you would also form the same opinion as me.

17 minutes ago, farcanell said:

that said, my question remained unanswered.... whilst breaking the law, who would you blame, if you were hit?

I'd take the word "blame" out of the sentence.  In Thailand I take ultimate responsibility for what happens to me, regardless of who's at fault.  That includes getting run over on the sidewalk, falling through a rotten manhole cover, or electrocuted in a swimming pool- in addition to getting hit on the street

It will be me in the hospital or the morgue- and not the guy driving, the guy who parked illegally, or the cops who let them.  I can blame them all I want, but that's not going to mean a thing when I'm maimed or dead and they're offering 15,000 baht in compensation.  

If you want to discuss blame in the context of the Thai legal system, I'm not the guy.

1 hour ago, hdkane said:

My impulse is blame the fellow for leaving the scene of the accident. It's deplorable behavior, especially when a child is injured. However, with the real possibility that the driver would have been beaten to death by a mob, simply because he was a white foreigner, I can understand his actions. He should have driven to a police station and turned himself in. The parents bear the majority of the blame, however. Pathetic and reckless behavior.

Why beaten to death, very unlikely when the victims and her parents are Westerners too? 

Just now, ukrules said:

I blame the parents 100%, this guy shouldn't have been arrested at all.

Whoever pushed the kid into the line of the traffic should be arrested.

It is illegal to cross the road wherever you want isn't it ?

You must not live in Bangkok.

8 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I blame the parents 100%, this guy shouldn't have been arrested at all.

Whoever pushed the kid into the line of the traffic should be arrested.

It is illegal to cross the road wherever you want isn't it ?

Yes... it is illegal.... it is a myth that pedestrians always have the right of way

IMG_3596.PNG

He wasn't driving defensively.  His reactions were wrong.  There is something called "last clear chance to avoid" the accident, and it was his.  And a human is the last thing to hit...at a certain point, you make a decision to hit the soft target..meaning not head on, but not a tree, and not a human...if he had control of his bike, he could have layer it down.  Parents are at fault, but that doesn't excuse him...only partially in civil court.  He is going to have to pay her bill and give some comp and make a "gift from the heart.". Otherwise, vertical bar hotel.  

Archived