Bangkok air--I can't ever do it again

cmtg1

Yesterday flight from B KK to cps for 5:10pm flight.  Got to the airport 1.5 hours early and went to the lounge (so far so good). I was informed the flight would be late and the new gate would be A8. I walked to the terminal and saw #2 #3 #4 etc so i kept on walking stupidly expecting to fine #8A. I walked to the end of the terminal and there was no A8 so I asked and the repel was It's before terminal #1 sigh I walked back the length of the terminal and found A8 at the very beginning.  Next the flight was delayed an hour and the bus ride to the plane took loner than the actual flight. I was in row #5 and wash;t allowed to enter the from of the plane, we were all directed to enter from the back (????). we arrived at CNX and were not allowed to dock at the terminal so another bus rice. I can't do it again

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. wheelchair assistance is the way-to-go if you're over age 50 and/or have difficulty walking.  No extra charge and you (and the rest of your traveling party) get expedited service thru the queues.  It's a nice touch to give the wheelchair wranglers 100 baht or so for their service.  They might remember you during the next trip.

My flight home to CNX last month had, at various times, three different gates displayed as being 'the one' !  And we too ended-up being bussed out to the plane, so I can sympathise !

Plus that they can't/won't let you clear Immigration when outbound at CNX, unless you're on a single-ticket/PNR all-the-way, even if you only have hand-luggage !

They're not as 'Boutique' as they used to be, IMO. :glare:

1 hour ago, Ricardo said:

Plus that they can't/won't let you clear Immigration when outbound at CNX, unless you're on a single-ticket/PNR all-the-way, even if you only have hand-luggage !

They're not as 'Boutique' as they used to be, IMO. :glare:

Indeed.  Before I preferred Bangkok Air, just for the free lounge, but no longer.  

No longer able to clear immigration.  No longer able to check-in luggage on your connecting flight.  No longer Bangkok air for me.

I was on the same flight as CMTG1 and in row 6! The bus departure gates [7,8&9] area was jam packed with passengers waiting on delayed TG flights and was a total zoo. We eventually got on board via the rear entrance and fought our way to the front then the staff decided to allow entry from the front causing a jam as passengers from the rear entrance tried to get to the front and vice versa! On arrival at CNX we did not get on a stand and were bussed to the terminal after a tour of the airfield. As we had to clear customs we were held in a corner until the second bus arrived then 'led' to the customs area as if we were too stupid to get there by ourselves. Bangkok Airways seems to have many more delays these days and rarely departs or lands via a terminal stand. The benefits of the 'Boutique' lounge no longer compensates for the almost inevitable hassle of delays and incompetent staff.

but have you used them in the past 2-3 years ? mr frequent flyer

Absolutely, and yes, I am a frequent flier with them. Not only that, I have purchased tickets for others and have had no complaints of your nature. 

How many times have you taken BKK Air and over what length of time? In essence, what is your sample size for panning the airline? 

6 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Absolutely, and yes, I am a frequent flier with them. Not only that, I have purchased tickets for others and have had no complaints of your nature. 

How many times have you taken BKK Air and over what length of time? In essence, what is your sample size for panning the airline? 

It's not relevant how many times that I fly Bangkok Air. I meet clients at CNX a minimum of 3 times a week and those arriving on Bangkok air are rarely if ever on time. 

10 hours ago, rogeroc said:

Getting a bus from the plane normally means shorter overall walking distance though !

Not if you're redirected to different Gates twice, and then to the bus-Gates downstairs, I suspect ? :glare:

I too fly PG several times per year, and find them less on-time than they used to be  ...  this doesn't matter however, because I now have to catch an earlier-connection anyway, due to their refusal/inability to book my bags through to international-flights on other airlines for Pax who have two seperate tickets/PNRs.

That was always a valued service and, together with their better quality-of-service, was in-the-past my reason for always using them (despite slightly-higher pricing) to connect up/down-to-BKK  ...  nowadays I always check, especially outbound when not carrying much (if any) hold-luggage, whether there's a cheaper-fare on Thai-Smile. :cool:

Meeting clients? I hope you have a valid work permit. 

I guess I must just be super lucky, since I have had no problems at all with them. Aside from the profiteering on their Samui route, nothing else has been an issue with them for me. 

Also, since they fly out of Suvanaphumi, it makes it more convenient to get into town via the Airport Link or transfer to international flights. 

Of course you need to qualify what you mean by on time. According to available statistics, BKK Air is no worse than other airlines and in some cases better.

Hong Kong to BKK/Samui is on average 13 minutes late. 

HK -- BKK/Samui averages

Bangkok Airways PG 281, for example, from  Utapao   to Phuket has the following data: 

Bkk air late.png

For more flights, look here: 

bkk 222.png

So basically, nearly 8,000 of the almost 13,000 flights were less than 15 minutes late. Given the constraints of airports and schedules, I'd say this is pretty good indeed. 

BKK Air punctuality

11 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

Meeting clients? I hope you have a valid work permit. 

I guess I must just be super lucky, since I have had no problems at all with them. Aside from the profiteering on their Samui route, nothing else has been an issue with them for me. 

Also, since they fly out of Suvanaphumi, it makes it more convenient to get into town via the Airport Link or transfer to international flights. 

Of course you need to qualify what you mean by on time. According to available statistics, BKK Air is no worse than other airlines and in some cases better.

Hong Kong to BKK/Samui is on average 13 minutes late. 

HK -- BKK/Samui averages

Bangkok Airways PG 281, for example, from  Utapao   to Phuket has the following data: 

Bkk air late.png

For more flights, look here: 

bkk 222.png

So basically, nearly 8,000 of the almost 13,000 flights were less than 15 minutes late. Given the constraints of airports and schedules, I'd say this is pretty good indeed. 

BKK Air punctuality

my work permit status should be of supreme indifference to you. Please stick to the topic. Saying BKK air is no worse then other airlines is hardly a rave review. Your statistics do not show dates, I believe we have established that in the past Bkk air Was reliable, however no longer. Again your example for on time flights from Utapao to phuket is hardly a barometer of an airlines punctuality. BKK air has gone the way of Kodak, Blackberry and polaroid. Once a great company now becoming obsolete.

I'm sorry, did you show dates and flights for your statistical pondering? 

Do you have a sample size of nearly 13,000 flights across the spectrum? 

But I am prepared to be shown what you have. Let's see the flights, the dates and the arrival times. 

I'm sorry, did you show dates and flights for your statistical pondering? 
Do you have a sample size of nearly 13,000 flights across the spectrum? 
But I am prepared to be shown what you have. Let's see the flights, the dates and the arrival times. 

i accept your apology when you say that "you are sorry"

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 2/25/2017 at 7:10 AM, saakura said:

You could ask for wheelchair assistance next time to take you to the gate if you are a senior and have difficulty in walking.

Or difficulty seeing signage to the gates.

BTW few of the things you mention are even under the airline's control, it's mostly the airports that you seem to be struggling with.  Yes, capacity is an issue at both BKK and CNX airports which often means getting a bus gate.   And yes the person who decided that the closer bus gates shouldn't be numbered starting at 1 should be shot.  And yes the person who managed to miss having a travelator on the A pier side going back to the main terminal should be shot twice.  

Bangkok Airways on the other hand just needs friendly encouragement to build in a little more slack in their schedule but other than that they're the best domesric airline in the country.

14 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I have taken BKK Air for the past 11 years, frequently. I have never been delayed. 

Aah, the ole I'm alright Jack, hasn't happened to me line. You either intimate the op is lying, brought it on themselves or you're some kind of special case such that it could never possibly happen to you. I would like to be there when your dreams are shattered. :giggle:

Airlines especially need to keep their sh1t together as one rubbish performance can put a frequent flyer off for good. Being bussed to and from gates is the pits.

In 2015 I booked four flights with them. Three were delayed and one cancelled.

In 2016 I booked four more flights with them; all of them were on time.

I think their schedules are so tight that it's OK if the first plane is on time, but one delay throws everything out of whack.

Re: The wheelchair thing, if you're in that situation you are normally on the plane last and off it last. However, they tend to seat you and your cohorts at the front, so if you see someone struggling to check in, offer to be their friend.

:smile:

As for the gates and buses, that even happens with Thai Airways, so I wouldn't single BkkAir out for that.

On 2/25/2017 at 7:40 AM, NancyL said:

Yup. wheelchair assistance is the way-to-go if you're over age 50 and/or have difficulty walking.  No extra charge and you (and the rest of your traveling party) get expedited service thru the queues.  It's a nice touch to give the wheelchair wranglers 100 baht or so for their service.  They might remember you during the next trip.

This is true. I took the wheelchair route starting a few years ago.  However, be careful, because then they want to carry you up the aisles inside the aircraft, and then who knows what might happen.  The airline staff are always very helpful.

It's been my experience that usually they board the people in wheelchairs first, along with families traveling with small children, but yes they do take wait until everyone is off the plane to handle the the wheelchair passengers.  But, often there is an electric cart waiting for transport in the terminal that can make up for time lost waiting on the aircraft.

Normally, they'll ask if you are able to walk well enough to get to your seat in the aircraft at the time you request a wheelchair when making a reservation -- they don't want to carry people on the aircraft and some airlines will require submission of a MEDIF form  prior to a flight if this type of assistance is needed.