Tragedy played out on Facebook as sick and uninsured Bangkok expat dies on the way to hospital

Jonathan Fairfield

1 minute ago, mommysboy said:

UK too. And most western countries.

As to the cost in the scheme of things, a fraction surely.  Most farangs are insured or can pay at least some, and anyway the farang population is tiny compared to Thais.

And of course if a Thai gets injured in farangland he gets treated.

Not really any good excuse in my books. Christian's problem did not look especially costly.

If it was a Staphylococcus Aureus infection, it's damn expensive and you'll have to stay quite a long time in a hospital. Only IV Antibiotics are possible, but they first have to find the culprit, which can take a few weeks to find out.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, fstarbkk said:

No money for health insurance, but riding around on a THB 250K motorcycle. Priorities?

In fact, while I can't tell if it's the same one from the pic, Christian had been trying to sell a motorcycle for the past few weeks. Unsure as to whether he succeeded or not. Trying to sell and actually selling are two very different things.

It is a sad event for sure but most of us feel good in thailand and forget about any consuences and with the sunny weather and the cute young lady it is easy to forget about the basic of having any sort of insurance and my best guess is if you are lucky to die without insurance well who ever will have to pay for the bill to come .

RIP for a good time.

Whatever the circumstances, one has to sympathise with this poor man and his painful medical condition followed by his sudden death.

So many posters on here make disparaging remarks about aging ex-pats who have no medical insurance.  Some might be justified but others are not     I recently found out that Bupa require an annual premium of 423000 bahts for a 74 year old, which covers treatment in hospital only.    Fully comprehensive cover (excluding of course any pre-existing conditions), but including out patient treatment up to a limit of 25000 dollars and dental treatment up to 1500 dollars would cost a 74 year old man 1.3 million bahts per annum, which might just be slightly prohibitive for a retiree.  No cover available after age 74. 

It would certainly make Thailand a more welcoming retirement destination if the government allowed legitimate retirées (i.e. those with "retirement visas") to buy into the social security system at a rate that acknowledged this group's high level of usage of medical facilities but at the same time that was more affordable than private insurance policies.  

14 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Whatever the circumstances, one has to sympathise with this poor man and his painful medical condition followed by his sudden death.

So many posters on here make disparaging remarks about aging ex-pats who have no medical insurance.  Some might be justified but others are not     I recently found out that Bupa require an annual premium of 423000 bahts for a 74 year old, which covers treatment in hospital only.    Fully comprehensive cover (excluding of course any pre-existing conditions), but including out patient treatment up to a limit of 25000 dollars and dental treatment up to 1500 dollars would cost a 74 year old man 1.3 million bahts per annum, which might just be slightly prohibitive for a retiree.  No cover available after age 74. 

Good points, but a bit off topic...

The topic, if I recall correctly is the unfortunate death of a young, active man with a passion for fast bikes and martial arts. Both of these are relatively prone to injuries requiring medical care at some point.

I empathize with him to the extent that it took a good scare for me after living in Thailand for a couple of years, to get some private coverage. For a person in their 20's - 40's it is still possible to get this for a reasonable cost... for beer money, one might say. So it does come down to priorities, I'm  afraid.

Edited by fstarbkk
Spelling

1 hour ago, fstarbkk said:

No money for health insurance, but riding around on a THB 250K motorcycle. Priorities?

Knowing him from a popular biker Facebook group, Christian had been trying to sell his bike for a while already... 

1 hour ago, bipper said:

Thoughtful, respectful, nice.....<deleted> I knew him.

May you sincerely rest in peace------ I often feel I will end up the same.It all comes down to money(or Should I say lack of it) and being too old for insurance. My one fear here is hospital bills.All the time I am well I am totally happy with my life in Thailand_______But I fear the day will come------------

57 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'd guess though that if you are not killed off by some event like a fatal heart attack, then healthcare as you sicken and die will be a very expensive process.  Sooner or later, my guess is that you will be in Christian's situation.

Exactly----- I keep telling people----- if you are too old you're too old.I am 81 nearly and there is NO COVER

Isnt it just like a minibus driver to still come out half way and block every ones passage , regardless of whether theres an ambulance with sirens blaring approaching? ( See video clip 0:20 ) I swear these guys are either oxygen deprived at birth or  the penultimate   a...hole drivers...

2 hours ago, brianwl said:

Yes.  I also have first class insurance for it.

But if I need medical care for other than an accident, I'm out of pocket for the bill.

I have a battle currently going with the US Veterans Administration.  They pay all medical bills if Veterans are in the US, but if we choose to travel or live outside the US,we're screwed.

brianwl,
You are mistaken.
There are plenty of retired US vets here that get their bills at local hospitals paid for by the VA.
Have you been in touch with your local VFW Post?
They have service officers who are more than willing to help you navigate the complicated paperwork.

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

Asssuming there is such a comprehensive solution, isn't that beyond most peoples' means?  How much would it cost a 55 year old for the same unlimited cover as in UK for instance?

I hate to say it but if it is beyond peoples means they should not be here. I did entertain the idea that he realized the hopelessness of his situation and rammed the barrier. So many  do a swan dives off of large buildings for the same reason. Its something that has crossed my mind often. If I should have a catastrophic illness what are my options?? This should cross the mind of most of the expats here. 

2 hours ago, brianwl said:

Yes.  I also have first class insurance for it.

But if I need medical care for other than an accident, I'm out of pocket for the bill.

I have a battle currently going with the US Veterans Administration.  They pay all medical bills if Veterans are in the US, but if we choose to travel or live outside the US,we're screwed.

It used to be that veterans could get treated in Bangkok. There was one specific hospital that was used, but I can't remember the name. Has something changed?

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Am I the only person wondering if he drove into the wall deliberately?

Clearly he was in much pain and anguish and was feeling desperate.

Going over that parapet is going to end all of that for sure.

My thinking is that he didn't deliberately drive into the barrier, his leg at that time could have been in so much pain that he just lost concentration and control.

In his condition he made the wrong choice to use a bike when he should have used a bus or taxi.

11 minutes ago, biplanebluey said:

See fstar----- you jumped in with both feet again!!!!!!

Oh look it's my little stalker!

Anyway, not really. Mr. Melzer started posting about his medical issues in May 2016. His friend said earlier, that he had been trying to sell the bike for several weeks. Not to sound callous, but it appears that his priorities changed very late in the game... too late it seems.

10 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I hate to say it but if it is beyond peoples means they should not be here. I did entertain the idea that he realized the hopelessness of his situation and rammed the barrier. So many  do a swan dives off of large buildings for the same reason. Its something that has crossed my mind often. If I should have a catastrophic illness what are my options?? This should cross the mind of most of the expats here. 

all true but hope and wish you are never in that position - stay safe

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

But it isn't regardless ...

When there was discussion about requiring tourists and foreign residents to pay for or have proof of medical insurance there were howls of protest on TV.

If you're traveling you should have insurance coverage and if you decide to settle in Thailand you should face the fact that medical needs have to be planned for. Waiting until you get sick or have an accident and then carrying on about poor me and someone should give me care for free,  is just irresponsible. 

It's tragic that this man died, although it apparently had nothing to do with his infected leg (which had been treated). If he had survived the accident he would have been treated for his injuries in hospital, but whether or not he could pay for it, someone would have to.

One of the things that affects the prices we all have to pay for medical treatment is the provision that hospitals have to make to cover the cost of treating people who can't pay. If you want to pay for those without funds or insurance, then please step forward with cash in hand the next time some foreigner is reported in hospital with hundreds of thousands in unpaid bills.

Even in western nanny states medical treatment for non-residents/citizens is limited or non-existent.

I like your post but not to fond of the term nanny states. It insinuates that we are freeloaders even in our own country. When I read that 8 people control more wealth than the poorest 3.6 billion in the land the word nanny state seems insignificant. The dark state rules and this I consider really really really really unfair. 

2 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

on rental ,or bike loan, his friends ,an old one from better days .... i would sell the bike but how much u would receive if funds are low it might be bad maintained this could lead to the accident and if old and good how much u will receive proper medical costs way more maybe he live remote area so need the bike to manage his days etc etc.. situation very individual