Tragedy played out on Facebook as sick and uninsured Bangkok expat dies on the way to hospital

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

No money for health insurance, but riding around on a THB 250K motorcycle. Priorities?

Yeah. The bastard probably had food in his fridge, AND a couple of cans of beer also. Where the hell are his priorities? So selfish....

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

28 minutes ago, freebyrd said:

The hippocratic oath means nothing to Hi-So Khon Thai Jai Dee medical practitioners in just the same way as only lip service is paid to many other things in the Land of a Thousand (+) Selfish bureaucratic types.

Nope. Too many foreigners have made the runner after very expensive treatments. 

It's only common sense that they had to change their policy. 

The heading for this thread is totally misleading. Whether he was sick or uninsured is irrelevant, he died as a result of a road traffic accident. Neither is there any relevance to the assumption that he was probably on the way to a hospital.

And how did it "play out on Facebook". This sloppy headline writing gives the impression that there was a blow by blow description of the incident on FB when this was not the case.

Possibly The Sun  will be sniffing about to offer someone a job.

Tragic for the gent and his family.

I have never used ganja or anything like in my life. My 'idealism' is based upon a lifetime of experiences and an innate sense of what is moral and not moral. The current system has nothing to do with the New testament and your reference is absurd. The medical system as it currently exists is built on greed and the theory that 'greed is good'.  You may want to  reevaluate your understanding of morality and how it is defined not only by logical deduction but also by the World's religions.

1 minute ago, ajarngreg said:

Nope. Too many foreigners have made the runner after very expensive treatments. 

It's only common sense that they had to change their policy. 

Those funds are being recouped via the surcharge on air tickets, IIRC ( 10 or 20 Baht on every ticket to/from Thailand....introduced, or at least announced, about 3 years ago?).

RIP fellow biker. Sad that he did not have a friend to help navigate the system here in Thailand.

A small 15 baht bottle of Hydrogen Peroxide that you can buy at Boots Pharmacy poured all over any wound IN THE EARLY STAGES would have killed all the bacterial whether it was "antibiotic resistant" or not. Great for when you walk on the beach barefoot or get scratched hiking or just trying to walk down the street. The small bottle will fit in your pocket and the bottle is plastic.

You can gargle and rinse your mouth out with 3% Hydrogen Peroxide. 

I drink a whole bottle when I am in Pattaya. :)

The larger bottles are 6%. Just pore it all over any new wound and repeat until completely clean. Costs like nothing. Keep a eye on your wound and if it shows signs of infection go to the hospital right away for more VERY CHEAP treatment. But remember, hospitals are home to the most antibiotic resistant bacteria so get the hell out of there fast.  :)

Hua Hin hospital (not Bangkok Hospital) has a Farang VIP desk and I have trouble spending more than 1000 baht there for simple things like blood tests or something like strep throat.

7 minutes ago, Thaidream said:
10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I have never used ganja or anything like in my life. My 'idealism' is based upon a lifetime of experiences and an innate sense of what is moral and not moral. The current system has nothing to do with the New testament and your reference is absurd. The medical system as it currently exists is built on greed and the theory that 'greed is good'.  You may want to  reevaluate your understanding of morality and how it is defined not only by logical deduction but also by the World's religions.

TD you were suggesting that it should be the responsibility of the UN to see that healthcare is provided for everybody in every country. TD people in many places do not even have adequate food or shelter, should this be down to the UN too? How about the UN providing free Kevlar vests for people in potentially dodgy places.?

I am not suggesting the UN pay for healthcare- this is the responsibility of the country where a person resides. I am suggesting a UN conference of all members in which a reasonable approach to healthcare is discussed and agreed upon.  There are several ways that travellers/non citizen residents could be covered.  The conference could agree to let non citizens buy into their national health scheme; there could be a worldwide small charge on every airline ticket sold that goes into a Worldwide fund; their could be agreement that one country can  bill another countries medical care system. 

If the Un conference could simply agree that health care is a human right and discus the solutions and then implement a plan the World would be much better off than the current systems.

25 minutes ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Not very helpful information as a number of pre existing conditions such as heart disease and diabetes will basical give cause to not pay for almost all diseases and accident insurance is normally relatively inexpensive and can be purchased on its own.

Again, I can find no evidence that the subject of this thread was suffering either from diabetes, heart disease or any other disqualifying condition. So what's your point?

No matter what the hospital does after the treatment is a side issue Go to a hospital and get it seen too wory about bills later. In his case should have been in a taxi if is leg was as bad as seems and it was giving him pain why risk riding  bike regardless of whether it was his or not a silly move unfortunately he paid the ultimate price.

Just now, fstarbkk said:

Again, I can find no evidence that the subject of this thread was suffering either from diabetes, heart disease or any other disqualifying condition. So what's your point?

Insurance is often not available for the above life challenges - the percentage of people who suffer from one or more of the above is very high - so there is a big chance that if the man who died did not have insurance he was suffering from a condition which prevented him from having insurance, sad, but very highly possible - do you agree or disagree?

So if true we should have a heart and feel sorry for his situation... Actually even if not true we should feel sorry for him.

1 hour ago, YeahSiam said:

Frankly, I think that once you're over 70, hospitals should be under no obligation to treat you if you don't have insurance.

People are supposed to live, grow old, become sick and then die - extending life at all costs is BS; euthanasia should be decriminalised.

Uninsured, infirm old people are a massive, massive burden on the healthcare system.

If you have the funds to cover your care past 70, then live on, bro - but if you don't, it shouldn't be the state's responsibility to keep you ticking over.

Many civilized countries do practice euthanasia: Belgium, the Netherlands, Luxembourg, Switzerland; however it is voluntary, it's not imposed on people just because they can't pay for continuing treatment. 

3 hours ago, stoneyboy said:

Recurring problem which with a continuing ageing ex pat population here will only become more prevalent as the years go on.

Thailands a lovely place to live if you can afford it but when you start factoring children and education and health care and western living standards into the equation there are far to many people here who in reality can't actually afford to be here it's plain as day I'm afraid.

If you don't mind taking risks in life and being here on a shoestring budget happy days,if you care to have a lifestyle resembling that of your home country one must ensure the supply of cash is continuous and ample enough to cover you for emergencies,repatriation home etc etc one should always carry a get out of jail free card.

In retrospect a lot of us, myself included, should not be here on economic grounds.  But it is fair to say money was a lot easier to earn a few years ago, and then of course we met a lady, got married and perhaps had a kid or two. What are we to do? 

You speak perfect sense of course, and now I would say only the very well healed and unattached should live in Thailand, which is increasingly not a cheap place to live anymore.

Somebody who has lived here for a few years may find it very difficult to re-establish themselves in their home country.  In the UK, whilst day to day expenses are actually on a par now with Thailand, the cost of housing is sky high, and you have to pass credit checks and put sown hefty deposits.

There is perfect sense, but it flies in the face of the reality for ordinary people.

2 hours ago, fstarbkk said:

Good points, but a bit off topic...

The topic, if I recall correctly is the unfortunate death of a young, active man with a passion for fast bikes and martial arts. Both of these are relatively prone to injuries requiring medical care at some point.

I empathize with him to the extent that it took a good scare for me after living in Thailand for a couple of years, to get some private coverage. For a person in their 20's - 40's it is still possible to get this for a reasonable cost... for beer money, one might say. So it does come down to priorities, I'm  afraid.

Yes of course, but as you know when you are younger you feel invincible. A great deal of your money is earmarked for basic living anyway.  At the bottom end money is increasingly hard to come by.  I respect the fact you did well and here's to you enjoying your wealth for many years to come. But most struggle for one reason or another.

11 minutes ago, fstarbkk said:

Leg ulcers of the type shown in the photo are a very common complication of Type II diabetes. This is a disease that frequently goes unnoticed until it has already done some serious damage to the sufferer. Diabetic retinopathy, cataracts, impotence, leg and foot ulcers, circulatory problems and diabetic neuropathy are just some of the complications of this now very common disease. The commonest cause of Type II diabetes is being overweight or obese. If you are significantly or substantially overweight, a simple, low cost, blood test will determine whether or not you have the illness and it's worth getting it done as early diagnosis improves the prognosis enormously. Treatment is pretty effective, these days, and is preferable to leaving it to run its course unless you really want to go blind or have one of more limbs amputated or both!

3 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

In retrospect a lot of us, myself included, should not be here on economic grounds.  But it is fair to say money was a lot easier to earn a few years ago, and then of course we met a lady, got married and perhaps had a kid or two. What are we to do? 

You speak perfect sense of course, and now I would say only the very well healed and unattached should live in Thailand, which is increasingly not a cheap place to live anymore.

Somebody who has lived here for a few years may find it very difficult to re-establish themselves in their home country.  In the UK, whilst day to day expenses are actually on a par now with Thailand, the cost of housing is sky high, and you have to pass credit checks and put sown hefty deposits.

There is perfect sense, but it flies in the face of the reality for ordinary people.

1 hour ago, freebyrd said:

Once we get to a 'certain age', don't we all roll the dice every day, one way or another? Re-locating back to the UK to grab a few more years/weeks/days has no attraction for me, that alternative is actually worse than the prospect of death.

My friend, an American, told me He paid into US Medicare since the

1960's....50 years...now He lives in Thailand, absolutely NO medical Insurance

if you retire outside The US....fortunately, He is in good health and has put 

about $75,000 US in a medical savings account in case of major medical

expenses, after that is gone, He plans to return to The US where He will be

covered for 80% of the bill....Doesn't seem at all fair!

12 minutes ago, fvw53 said:

I never heard about health insurance for an expat in Thailand, except the well known private health insurance companies / how can an expert have access to Thai social security>

Please have a look here, they even take expats in an older age.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/Bancassurance/NonLifeInsurance/Pages/NewPA1st.aspx

1 hour ago, TSF said:

Thailand's gov hospitals are so cheap. Anyone can go and receive good medical care. A couple years ago I was sitting in my car in Nong Khai and I got chest pains. I went immediately to the Nong Khai gov hospital, within 5 minutes they had completed the admission form and had me on a stretcher and took me for an EKG. After the EKG I was examined by a doctor. Fortunately for me it was a false alarm and I had only suffered a muscle spasm not a heart related problem.

I couldn't have expected faster medical attention anywhere and the bill was 300 Bt.

Surat Government hospital is very good for basic issues too.  But I think for chronic conditions the bill will accumulate alarmingly.  You won't get advanced treatments cheaply.  You get what Thais get.

They are much better than is assumed though.

2 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Life isn't always fair. Please see : http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/BuildYourWealth/Bancassurance/NonLifeInsurance/Pages/NewPA1st.aspx

I'm originally from the UK and the last time I was there, last year, I found it to be unthinkably expensive compared to Thailand. A meal in any sort of decent restaurant is going to cost you £20+/head (say 900 Baht). Petrol and diesel cost an arm and a leg; twice what it costs here, so does a pint in a pub. I suppose if you confine yourself to Wetherspoons in the UK and only eat western style food over here, the cost of living might be just about comparable but in any other circumstances, certainly not! I manage to live quite comfortably on half my pension here and I most certainly would NOT be able to do that in the UK or in any other place in western Europe!    

17 minutes ago, little mary sunshine said:

Same applies to most countries. You only get cover under the French, Belgian, Dutch, German and Luxembourgish systems if you are a resident in the country and continue to pay into the system. 

However, as a holidaymaker, at least the systems in those countries do give you full cover for illness and accidents regardless of pre-existing conditions and regardless of how off your head you were at the time, if you had an accident. I can vouch for the Luxembourg system; in 2014, I came here on holiday and ended up at the hospital twice in a month due to illness. The Luxembourg "Caisse National de Santé" refunded to full cost of both visits when I returned home.

34 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I find living in Thailand way cheaper than living in my adopted home country New Zealand, as fr one thing we don't pay rent as we own our own property. But living expenses.including cost for power (about 1000 Baht per month), water (about 200 Baht per month) and the internet connection (abut 1200 Baht per month for unlimited internet access) are a lot less than in New Zealand. 

In Thailand, my pension is enough to get by, while in New Zealand my wife and I both had to get part time jobs to supplement the New Zealand pensions we both had. In Thailand only I get the New Zealand pension, but as I said we manage.

When we had our dwelling erected on our property we didn't need to spend money on a building permit or a resource management consent like we would have in New Zealand.  I love it here in rural Prachuap Khiri Khan, I much prefer it to living in Bangkok where we lived before.    

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

I am not suggesting the UN pay for healthcare- this is the responsibility of the country where a person resides. I am suggesting a UN conference of all members in which a reasonable approach to healthcare is discussed and agreed upon.  There are several ways that travellers/non citizen residents could be covered.  The conference could agree to let non citizens buy into their national health scheme; there could be a worldwide small charge on every airline ticket sold that goes into a Worldwide fund; their could be agreement that one country can  bill another countries medical care system. 

If the Un conference could simply agree that health care is a human right and discus the solutions and then implement a plan the World would be much better off than the current systems.

"... there could be agreement that one country can  bill another countries medical care system." which is exactly how the system works inside the EU, I believe!