Exchange rate used for retirement income visas

2 hours ago, elviajero said:

If you and your wife want extensions (retirement) in your own right you would both need to provide separate income affidavits of at least 65K.

If your wife is going to piggyback your extension she doesn't need to provide any financials, and you only need 65K to get your extension.

Yeah, that is what I thought; thanks.

On 25/02/2017 at 2:44 PM, madmax2 said:

I do not think they use a conversion rate, funds have to be in Thai Baht for your retirement visa extension not any other foreign currency

Here in Phitsanulok they took a Foreign Currency Account balance as part of my 800000 converting at that days exchange rate.

My wife is Thai.

I showed a joint account to Immigration, they said that because it was a joint a/c I had to show 1.6M baht.

So I asked that if I had my own a/c (which I do) then would it be 800K ?

Yes, how you know that ?

So I transferred the 1M in the joint a/c to my own a/c -- job done.

2 hours ago, mrfaroukh said:

When you get a letter from your Embassy they always write this person is getting xxx amount of pension in your currency which is equal to xxxx amount of Thai baht. At least this is how my Embassy write.

The US Embassy is a sworn statement filled out by the applicant, the amount specified is in USD only, it's left up to immigration to do the conversion at the time youy apply!

On 25.2.2017 at 9:28 AM, madmax2 said:

Just make sure you have more money than the minimum amount required by 5% and you will not have a problem

exactly this is me thinking . .  just place a few squid more into your account and stop worrying.

If you are such a short Charlie and out to migrate to Thailand, you shouldn't ask here for pennywise solutions

14 hours ago, elviajero said:

Depends on how you read the police orders, last issued in 2014, but they do not specifically mention how long the money needs to be in the bank when combining income and bank deposit. However, also in 2014 immigration offices received additional orders (never made public as far as I know) to confirm that the seasoning rules also applied.

Since then the major offices, and it would seem most others, insist on seasoning, which is backed up by member reports.

The only time offices are supposed to waive the seasoning requirement is when income shortfall/money in the bank is small.

Most, if not all, offices used to ignore seasoning, but due to people abusing the system (no change there) that loophole has been closed.

The published police orders have not been updated since, but immigration have made it clear in the FAQ's on the immigration website.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=faq

You're probably right about more offices requiring it now, but if I may quote Ubonjoe from another thread

And other posts in the thread seem to confirm in Pattaya it is not a requirement when using the combination method.

It's been some years since I used that method, but when I did there was no requirement for seasoning ... but things do change, sometimes from day to day.

18 hours ago, sandyf said:

That is the theory but easier said than done. I had to do that after brexit last year. I was about 80K short so went to the bank and got a statement on my savings account which had about 150K. The IO pulled a face and went and had a debate with the supervisor, came back and said they would let it go this time but in future had to show at least 200K. That was at Sri Ratcha.

Not going to bother this year, going to get a multi non O when I go to the UK.

Remember that when you use income method 65,000 per month equates to 780k baht but if you need to combine your income with savings the two combined must add up to 800k baht.

For example, if your monthly income is 60,000 baht p.m. that's a shortfall on 780k baht of of 60k but you must show at least 80k baht in the bank to meet the minimum requirement.

Si Racha have always been particularly strict over the rules. That is my local Immigration Office (from Chonburi). I've always done my 90 day reports there without any problem but, after advice from somebody who actually works in Si Racha, I've always preferred to go to Jomtien to do my annual extensions. And before I got my yellow book it was less hassle getting a residency certificate from Jomtien. Si Racha always seemed to change the requirements each time my mate went there.

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

I suspect that the reason why they don't use the TT rate is that this doesn't cover banking charges here for processing conversions. Ah well, at least Immigration allow us to prove finances on the basis of gross income before the jolly old taxman wherever has taken his cut, so it might be too much to expect everything, I suppose.

Can you clarify "at least Immigration allow us to prove finances on the basis of gross income before the jolly old taxman wherever has taken his cut"?

Completing the Brit. Embassy forms to get the Proof of Income letter, I'd assumed they required the figures (and proof) provided to be net income (i.e. after UK tax has been deducted)?

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

Completing the Brit. Embassy forms to get the Proof of Income letter, I'd assumed they required the figures (and proof) provided to be net income (i.e. after UK tax has been deducted)?

There is no requirement to show net income. It can be gross income prior to taxes or anything else being deducted.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joskeshake said:

why i have to go every time to the Austrian embassy to calcullate my income from euro to baht ? immigration in Jomtien does not accept my paper from income with euro's.So i must go Austrian embassy in Pattaya and pay 1740 baht to converse .

What are showing at immigration before going to the consulate (I think the embassy is in Bangkok).? You have to show a letter from your embassy or consulate to prove your income. 

I don't think there is a problem with immigration doing the conversion since I am certain immigration converts the number shown in euros for others.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no requirement to show net income. It can be gross income prior to taxes or anything else being deducted.

Thanks ubonjoe.

It never crossed my mind that the Brit. Embassy form to be completed by the applicant (for the Proof of Income letter required by Thai Immigration) should show anything other than net income!  

The Brit. Embassy require proof from the pension providers to validate the amounts entered by the applicant - and the pension provider proof always shows both gross and net income.  Therefore I assumed that the Brit. Embassy required the self-completed form to show net income figures.

On 28-2-2017 at 10:38 AM, ubonjoe said:

What are showing at immigration before going to the consulate (I think the embassy is in Bangkok).? You have to show a letter from your embassy or consulate to prove your income. 

I don't think there is a problem with immigration doing the conversion since I am certain immigration converts the number shown in euros for others.

the letter the austrian calcullate for me is from the belgium goverment,downloaded by the internet,i dont have to go to BKK,and the Austrian embassy is in Pattaya soi 17 on the corner opposit Yensabai condotel.Next week i have to go again,if something has changed I will let you know.

On 2/28/2017 at 0:24 PM, dick dasterdly said:

Thanks ubonjoe.

It never crossed my mind that the Brit. Embassy form to be completed by the applicant (for the Proof of Income letter required by Thai Immigration) should show anything other than net income!  

The Brit. Embassy require proof from the pension providers to validate the amounts entered by the applicant - and the pension provider proof always shows both gross and net income.  Therefore I assumed that the Brit. Embassy required the self-completed form to show net income figures.

I have always shown gross income figures in completing the British Embassy form, and they have always provided me with confirmation letters based on these gross figures, which have been accepted without question by Immigration.