Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking

rooster59

Vardy denies role in Ranieri sacking

640x640 (14).jpg

Soccer Football - Sevilla v Leicester City - UEFA Champions League Round of 16 First Leg - Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan Stadium, Seville, Spain - 22/2/17 Leicester City's Jamie Vardy and Leicester City manager Claudio Ranieri after the match Action Images via Reuters / John Sibley

LONDON (Reuters) - Leicester City forward Jamie Vardy has denied he was involved in the sacking of manager Claudio Ranieri nine months after the Italian led his team to the Premier League title.

After guiding Leicester to one of the most unlikely title victories last year, Ranieri was fired on Thursday with the Foxes mired in a relegation battle. They are now 18th in the table, two points above bottom side Sunderland.

"There is speculation I was involved in his dismissal and this completely untrue, unfounded and is extremely hurtful!" Vardy wrote in an Instagram post on Saturday alongside a photo of Ranieri.

"The only thing we are guilty of as a team is under-achieving which we all acknowledge both in the dressing-room and publicly and will do our best to rectify," he added.

Vardy scored 24 Premier League goals last season to spearhead Leicester's extraordinary triumph after starting the campaign at odds of 5,000-1 to win England's top-flight title for the first time in their history.

"Claudio has and always will have my complete respect! What we achieved together and as a team was the impossible! He believed in me when many didn't and for that I owe him my eternal gratitude," Vardy said.

"I wish Claudio the very very best in whatever the future holds for him. Thank You Claudio for everything."

Vardy's post came after goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel also denied reports that players led a revolt against the 65-year-old Ranieri who said goodbye to the Leicester squad on Saturday morning.

"There's absolutely no truth in that whatsoever," The Dane told the BBC. "We are players, we can only affect on the pitch and we haven't done that."

Leicester are owned by Thai businessman Vichai Srivaddhanaprabha who is the club chairman.

"What I can say is our owners are very hands on. They are in and around the club. They've been here all the time, they come to practically every game and they speak to all the players regularly," Schmeichel said.

"They're successful businessmen and they're not going to allow themselves to be influenced by any players."

Leicester host Liverpool on Monday.

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-02-26

2 hours ago, carmine said:

The three players that have been at the center of the allegations are the ones to issue statements obviously fearing the backlash to the sacking of a very respected and liked man.

But hardly worth a new topic/thread is it?

Clearly with replies it is. But get off your high horse and stick your two pence into a slot machine, who are you to judge if a topic is warranted? Don't bother answering it just try keep trying to wedge your head out your....

57 minutes ago, Rc2702 said:

Clearly with replies it is. But get off your high horse and stick your two pence into a slot machine, who are you to judge if a topic is warranted? Don't bother answering it just try keep trying to wedge your head out your....

Have another hong Tong, and take the rest of the day off.

But the Sun reported otherwise. And they always carefully check and verify everything they report. Well known for it!

Never make it up, padded it out or sensationalize with hyperbole. 

Was a time when the Sun was bought for tits on page 3 and not much else. Not even wrapping fish n'chips. Some now think it a serious newspaper 555!

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

But the Sun reported otherwise. And they always carefully check and verify everything they report. Well known for it!

Never make it up, padded it out or sensationalize with hyperbole. 

Was a time when the Sun was bought for tits on page 3 and not much else. Not even wrapping fish n'chips. Some now think it a serious newspaper 555!

I don't read that rag.  This topic has been widely covered in broadsheets, be it true or not but you only have to look at the lackluster way they have been playing to see the effort of last season has been missing.

Did anyone really think Leicester were not going to be a 'Flash in the Pan'

yes they stunned the soccer world last season and  all credit to them but was a knocking bet they would be struggling this year...

They have made a mistake getting rid of Ranieri, he was a good manager but you only have to see who controls this club that normal logic will be sadly lacking lol 

1 hour ago, Lokie said:

Did anyone really think Leicester were not going to be a 'Flash in the Pan'

yes they stunned the soccer world last season and  all credit to them but was a knocking bet they would be struggling this year...

They have made a mistake getting rid of Ranieri, he was a good manager but you only have to see who controls this club that normal logic will be sadly lacking lol 

Agreed, most people were expecting them to be mid table this season but I think the publicity and money has gone to some players heads and they lost focus. at least they have done it once,

Although I understand how important it is financially for Leicester to stay in the Premier League, I still find it difficult to have much sympathy for the club after they sacked Ranier after what he did for them in producing the biggest surprise ever since the Premier League  was formed and also since the formation of the club (I believe) 133 years ago.

20 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

It was a question not a demand you drunken buffoon.