Need borehole advice

canuckamuck

Because of deforestation in our area, the spring fed streams are not what they used to be. Last year they ran out just when we needed them most. This year it seems the same could happen. So we are hoping to drill a water well to supplement what is left so we can irrigate in the peak of the hot. We are in a slightly mountainous area, but in a valley at about 650 meters elevation.

I have never had a borehole before, so there are things I don't know, but I have been trying to do my best.

We had a guy come out two weeks ago with 4 friends and they told me right off it would be 120,000 baht all in. Well this ticked me off because nobody has ever done a well around here so nobody knows how deep this well is going to be. How can he set that price? We do know that about 10 meters lower and 100 meters away. we dug a fish pond and when we broke the rock formation we had water coming from side (in dry season). Also we have many springs in this area so I am thinking it is entirely possible that there is a good aquifer not far down.

So the the guy said he would do it for 65,000 but all he would do was drill the hole.

I said I'd think about it.

Then I found another guy and he came out and walked around and said it could be around 200,000 baht and 100 meters deep. He based this estimate on the fact that my area looked like Mae Salong where he drilled some wells and they were deep.  I said to him that Mae Salong is 50 km's away, how can you know that the depth to an aquifer will be the same?

I asked him if could just drill 40 meters and charge me for it if it didn't have water it was on me. But he wasn't interested. Apparently these guys only do it one way, They set a price and guarantee water.

Does anyone know how I can make a decision here? I am stuck with somebody's guess as a firm cost. It seems like there will be no benefit to me if the well turns out to be shallow. I will still be charged as if it was deep.

Any advice appreciated.

It would be well worth your time to go to the nearest university and spend a day trying to find a faculty that knows about water table depths in your area. or if nothing else search for the royal irrigation dept. and inquire with them. i would rather invest the time finding out from someone about it than filling some somchai's pocket with money.  

I know costs could be prohibitive, but go for a 6 inch, or largest bore hole you can. Once you find out about your aquifier, decide on the type of pump you want, and if it's a submersible, make sure you have a big enough diameter hole for a good quality (probably stay away from the Chinese pumps)pump.

We have two bores, only down 18 m or so, but we went with what the local driller guy said, and that was a smaller hole (can't remember, but 3 or 4 inch) and the standard pipe thickness. Go for stronger pipe wall thickness.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Artisi said:

any other "deep wells" in the area - how about the local authority, do they have information on aquifers in the area?  

We are in pretty remote area. There are no wells around here that we know about. Lots of springs, so no need, well there was plenty of springs. What local authority would have this information?

8 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

It would be well worth your time to go to the nearest university and spend a day trying to find a faculty that knows about water table depths in your area. or if nothing else search for the royal irrigation dept. and inquire with them. i would rather invest the time finding out from someone about it than filling some somchai's pocket with money.  

The nearest University is about 2.5 hours drive away but maybe they have info. What department would I be looking for?

I witnessed many boreholes in different parts of Thailand, my experience is the one of "trial and error" even at a distance of a few meter the situation can be different. Best way is to try to find an experienced guy and they will try at different debts what quality of water is coming up. Some will include in the price 2 or 3 different trial locations. Around 100k for a deepwell is standard. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, carlyai said:

I know costs could be prohibitive, but go for a 6 inch, or largest bore hole you can. Once you find out about your aquifier, decide on the type of pump you want, and if it's a submersible, make sure you have a big enough diameter hole for a good quality (probably stay away from the Chinese pumps)pump.

We have two bores, only down 18 m or so, but we went with what the local driller guy said, and that was a smaller hole (can't remember, but 3 or 4 inch) and the standard pipe thickness. Go for stronger pipe wall thickness.

The costs are already just being pulled out of the air, I would hate to see what asking for a 6 inch hole would add to that total. If I knew I could get away with an 18 meter well like you I would do it, but these guys are saying 100 meters with no basis for their estimate.  I appreciate the advice, but my initial concern is not paying for a 100 meter hole, when the water is at 20.

Thanks everyone for your replies so far. 

Firstly, if there are no wells in the area and no data on aquifers then the whole exercise is guesswork.

2, there is a major difference between a spring and a standing water table although a spring might be fed by an aquifer (water table) or just run-off from the mountains.  

3, the non-sense about drilling a dry hole and then moving a few feet away and striking water is rubbish, this is not standing water-table /aquifer. 

4, if you are in a valley and depending on the geology, there maybe ground water, although without correct data / local knowledge "who knows" . 

5, not sure who you would contact for information on groundwater deposits, although there will be a dept. somewhere who has this data, but for your area it's anyones guess if they know. Maybe your local city hall can point you in the right direction. 

6, So what does this mean, it means I have no idea what you will find at 10 /50/100/500 metres below GL. 

7, from what I have seen, heard, and been told - most well drilling exercises in Thailand are based on local knowledge and luckily in some areas you can drill a hole anywhere and get water. 

8, if there are many springs in your area you might get lucky - so look for a driller who is reasonable in their business dealings - negotiate a price to establish of site and then a rate per metre to drill and line the bore until you find water or you call it quits  - the risk is yours -  unless someone will guarantee a price to give you water at a price you think is reasonable irrespective of what depth they need to drill.  

9, if interested there is a lifetimes reading on the net about groundwater / aquifers / well drilling etc. 

Best I can for you without below ground knowledge. 

Interested in the outcome ?

A while back, I started to investigate aquifers, (It was probably 2015/16 ). One good response I got was from a Tv member whI said to go to the Changwat office, with a respectfully dressed Thai, and ask for the hydrology department.(I think it was this department.)
Many places in Thailand have been extensively studied, and you may find some aquifer studied there.

You need a respectfully dressed Thai, because they probably won't give a farang hydrological information.

Search in past threads for 'aquifer/s'.

Just for nothing... it sounds like you already have a water source: the pond (that keeps itself full?)  It would be nothing to pump from there a 100m and 5-6% grade to some holding tanks/jars.  I mean why drill a hole and hope for water when you already have a hole with self sustaining water in it?

Start here - http://www.mfu.ac.th/eng/ its all in english, I have visited this uni and they were very nice and professional, make a few calls and ask about water tables, wells, aquifers in your province and if they can direct you to the right person. You would be surprised how helpful they are.. In your situation I wouldnt piss my money away without doing a lot of FREE research first. If someone is going to charge me 100K Baht or more for a well they better have some hydrological maps or at least something better than I dont know BS. Here is the Royal irrigation website to check out too - http://www.rid.go.th/eng/contact.php You dont have to kiss anybodys ass to get to get this info like some might think.

You might consider going to your provincial office and obtain a "permit to drill a well".  As part of the fee they include a decent water test. They certainly have contacts for the more legit well drillers. It is the same office you obtain the permit to own a larger petrol chain saw. In Buriram Province it is located in the large Provincial Building that houses the Governors Office, Department of Immigration and the Labor Department.  There are way too many "Cowboy" well drillers who have broken down equipment and try to sell Thai people and expats no name brand Chinese well pumps without proper 4 wire cables at over inflated prices. They often skip on the control boxes.  

Natural Resources and Environment of the Kingdom of Thailand

On 27/02/2017 at 3:09 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Just for nothing... it sounds like you already have a water source: the pond (that keeps itself full?)  It would be nothing to pump from there a 100m and 5-6% grade to some holding tanks/jars.  I mean why drill a hole and hope for water when you already have a hole with self sustaining water in it?

It is self filling, but at a low rate. Maybe not good enough for irrigating, but you know what. I am going to find out. You might have saved me a bucket of cash.

On 27/02/2017 at 3:15 PM, farmerjo said:

Canuckamuck,

Have you thought about just seeking a water diviner 1st.

Maybe a case of your dyke silted up on you pond.

We did divine it, and a place has been chosen. But the guy didn't have the skill set to tell us how deep.

The price quotes are a little shocking as my only experience is in Khon Kean rice country and the in-laws sunk two 6" wells last year for $12k baht each. They provided all materials which he installed included in the agreed price.
The driller committed to go as deep as needed for water with flow or move and keep going until he found proper water. That happened at 60 meters. I know the regions aren't the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect