Flights to Mae Hong Son disrupted as smog levels soar

webfact

Flights to Mae Hong Son disrupted as smog levels soar
By The Nation

d5406f7cf78aadb5605a5e67afe32286.jpeg

File photo: A plane makes a landing at the Chiang Mai International Airport amid heavy fog.

BANGKOK: -- Flights between Chiang Mai to Mae Hong Son were suspended on Monday because the haze from forest fire in Mae Hong Son had affected visibility to be only at 1.5 kilometres. 

The amount of small particulate matter up to 10 microns in diameter (PM10) in 24 hours peaked at 156 micrograms per cubic metre of air and was at 138 micrograms on average – compared to the Sunday’s peak of 180. The safe level of PM10 is 120 micrograms, which if exceeded, it could pose health risks to people. 

Bangkok Airways cancelled its two morning flights between Chiang Mai and Mae Hong Son while the evening ones still operated as usual. 

Full story: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/breakingnews/30307389

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-02-27

The very much more serious risk to heath are the smaller particulates (PM2.5). These smaller particulates also travel much further from their source. Are these being monitored? If face-masks are being distributed, I hope that these are not the common standard  surgical masks which provide no protection against particulate matter, even the smaller PM2.5 particles. N95 masks can offer good protection, but they are more expensive and need to fit snugly against the mouth and nose.

7 hours ago, davehowden said:

My Thai wife tells me all this smog comes from Myanmar, end of problem!

Then why don't you educate her?

Perhaps if she knows the truth she will spread the word.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/

(Although looking at that, she does have a point!).

Edited by Chicog