Four garbage disposal projects in Samui launched

webfact

Four garbage disposal projects in Samui launched

Garbage.jpg

SAMUI: -- The Clean Samui Project which was initiated by Thai PBS to encourage public participation in garbage disposal has resulted to the creation of four projects in four different spots on the Samui island.

The first project is the joint cooperation effort of communities in Choeng Mon beach and 3-4 hotels in the same area to turn wet garbage into bio fuel and organic fertilizer. Today, as many as 18 hotels have joined the project.

The second project is located on Lamai beach with hotels participating in the project serving as the learning centre for garbage disposal. Knowledge earned from the learning centre is applied for use in hotels, schools and communities. The Lamai group hopes to expand its network to cover20-30 hotels.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-garbage-disposal-projects-samui-launched/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-02-28

Just not really sure what this story means..............is it a case of instead of just dumping your garbage anywhere---everyone should just dump it in the one open space.

Brings back memories of Alice's Restaurant.....by Arlo Guthrie.........yes officer I placed that one envelope underneath that half tonne of garbage !!!!

I would Offer for consideration the garbage system used by my mothers local Council (City of Moonee Valley) About 15 or 20 years ago the Council built a raised platform that car and trailers etc could drive up on located either side to the ramp is a series of large skip bins, the person who is disposing of the rubbish then places it in the appropriate bin e.g. glass, metal, plastic and wood so on and so on. The Council charges fee according to the amount of rubbish being disposed of, small trailer, ute load , boot load etc etc. The system works well the Council sells the scrap and minimises the amount sent to landfill. The sorting is done by the disposer, Council has another source of income from fees and scrap sold. It appears to be a win win for everyone.

Sounds like utter garbage to me !!

This is just groups getting together to tidy up beach areas and it has been mostly organized by non Thais although some Thais are part off the groups from what I have read.

This makes it sound like they are separating the garbage into plastics etc ,  which has been done for years by poor people going around bins to rummage to make a living. !!

It doesn't mention anywhere about fixing the huge pile of garbage in the south, fixing the incinerator or solving samui`s long term garbage problem which will only get worse !!

1 hour ago, novo58 said:

Just not really sure what this story means..............is it a case of instead of just dumping your garbage anywhere---everyone should just dump it in the one open space.

Brings back memories of Alice's Restaurant.....by Arlo Guthrie.........yes officer I placed that one envelope underneath that half tonne of garbage !!!!

Once they get tall enough they will convert them into ski hills. Oh wait it does not snow here. Methane Mine for the future I guess. 

1 hour ago, stateoperations said:

I would Offer for consideration the garbage system used by my mothers local Council (City of Moonee Valley) About 15 or 20 years ago the Council built a raised platform that car and trailers etc could drive up on located either side to the ramp is a series of large skip bins, the person who is disposing of the rubbish then places it in the appropriate bin e.g. glass, metal, plastic and wood so on and so on. The Council charges fee according to the amount of rubbish being disposed of, small trailer, ute load , boot load etc etc. The system works well the Council sells the scrap and minimises the amount sent to landfill. The sorting is done by the disposer, Council has another source of income from fees and scrap sold. It appears to be a win win for everyone.

Good idea sadly the price of scrap is falling to the point where it is hardly viable. 

I guess no one watches UK news,  huge problem in UK as well... and only 10% of counties even have recycling requirements.  So where does the recyclable stuff go there?

Just another excuse for people to bash Thailand / Samui .

Good to see they have at  least started to resolve the problem on Samui.

Archived