Would like to have insight on Paris from Expats of Thailand

Sojuncoke

Thinking about staying there for awhile and would like the have the opinions on Paris from people that are used to Thailand like myself. How does it compare in terms of nightlife and people? I already expect that it will be expensive. How friendly is the city for lone travelers? Is it tourist friendly? Are people as friendly to tourists as they are in Thailand? 

I spent about a week in Paris quiet long ago and I found this city to be totally beautiful. The City of Lights, which you will soon learn why. One week wasn't quite long enough for me but 2 weeks would have done better. Lots to see and do, but it is dependent on what you like.

The rumor that Parisians are rude and unfriendly to English Speaking Tourist was totally untrue in my case. I found them all to be warm and friendly and very helpful to me. A Great Place to visit which should be on everyone's list of places in the world to visit.

I lived in Paris for five years....

I do speak fluent French , which does help.., as you will find they don't really speak English,,,

Like everywhere else it has its positives, my biggest gripe , was the Hastle to do anything, and the Service is nothing like we get here in Thailand,,,,

Lunch time was a right pain, as everywhere closes for Lunch so all the Cafes , Restaurants and Bakers were lines of people waiting to get in .....

as for Fench Food, I am strict Vegetarian, so France was DEFINETLY not Veggie friendly, they don't  quite get the concept....

Also Smoking is a big thing in France, so Lots of cigarette Ends everywhere ...

Not the cleanest of City's....., they love there dogs, but won't clean up after them...

Positives, The Metro is easy and cheap , and Paris unlike London is quite small so easy to get around the centre...., Lovely Architecture and Art etc etc....

would i I move back,...NO...., after living in Thailand, life is so much easier  and less Hastle..in a lot of respects....

Sunday in France , shuts down....

Strikes are the normal...., amd as a Nation, they are not the happiest souls.....

I could go on and on, but best try for yourself, and see if it suits.....

17 minutes ago, robertthebruce said:

would i I move back,...NO...., after living in Thailand, life is so much easier  and less Hastle..in a lot of respects....

I agree; I am French, I  have lived many years in Paris, beautiful city, sure, but people in Thailand are much more nicer than Parisians ; to visit, ok, but to live, maybe you will miss Thailand

Paris is great place if money is no problem for you, a lots of things to do, a lot of places to go. Night life is very international, a lot of tourists and expat so finding people who speak English won't be a problem.

There are nonetheless a major issues, the weather is really bad, grey and cold, most of the year.

One of the most beautiful cities in the world. Definitely not the cheapest place to visit / live. Restaurants / cafes on the main tourist strips are bad value - do your research if you want a good meal. French can speak some English but are too frightened to as they don't like to look stupid. Many pickpockets on the metro so secure your money when your on it. Romainian gangs ...often groups of women.

having said that, the Eiffel Tower is spectacular !

and...it's nothing like Thailand in any way 

Paris is great for history,food, and art.The buildings are still beautiful due to the fact that Paris was an open city during the war, and no damage has been done to them.

The Louvre, is a good day out,the art is fabulous to see.You might want to remember the way you came in, because you can lose your self and may exit a long way from where you went in.You may be a tad disappointed with the 'Mona Lisa'

A must see is the Rive Gauche(the left bank) and don't forget the Notre Dame Cathedral.Eating out is an experience, the beef and wine is to die for.I recommend the Clichey area.It is the old haunt of,  years ago, prostitutes and their patrons,such as Tolouse Latrec.Much of his works incorporate famous ladies of the time.Many open air places to eat.My favourite evening was eating Chataux Brieand (excuse my spelling, mon francais est mairde) with a good Burgandy and i asked the accordion player to play 'Lime Light' Charlie Chaplin's theme song.It was a warm night and a soft wind was blowing the stars around,they looked like diamonds that had been carelessly thrown on to a black velvet cloth.My GF was well impressed.Momartre, is also worth a visit.If you can speak Parisian French,you will find it easier to  get about. My in ln laws lived in the South,and the accent gets to be more of a patois, the nearer you get to the Pyrenees .If you can work out the metro system, all the better. You have to find the final destination of the train,e g Charles De Gaul, where the place you want to go to may be on that line.There are many such final destinations.Check them all.

As for nightlife.The Crazy Horse Saloon, used to be the place to go,but i dont know if it is still going, same as the Pigalle, Follies, or many other places.All of them are 'Tres Expensive' Pattaya,  its not, nothing like it.So don't be expecting the same availability of ladies.Most of the roads leading to the Arc De Triumph will have ladies of the night, parading up and down, also of many races, you might be able to find a Thai!

The only thing about Paris, that is like Pattaya, is the amount of pick pockets

Bon Chance mon Ami,avez vous une bon vacacion ( i did tell you my french was shit)

Great city, very tourist friendly.
Would need 1 month at least to get a good feeling, so much to see, do, visit.
I must have travelled a 100 times to Paris, lived 330 kms from P.
Last visit from Thailand I booked an Ibis hotel for one week next to a subway station, bought a one week pass and went around everywhere.
There is one subway station with the most spectacular restroom for any subway station on the planet, isn't that at Trocadéro? Taking pictures strictly forbidden, I almost got fined for trying though!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

France was DEFINETLY not Veggie friendly, they don't  quite get the concept.

As recently as 5 years ago, I googled vegetarian restaurant Paris.  Really couldn't find any.  You're right.  They don't understand the concept.

I met a French vegetarian who says that they treat her like a stupid forgetful person who forgot to order a meat course.

At least in Thailand you can order "jaay" everywhere except the satay/kebab vendor?

4 hours ago, robertthebruce said:

Normally very attractive.....at all class levels......

very sexy too. Never knew what oral sex was until I met a French girl. That of course was a long time ago when I was very young.

9 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

France was DEFINETLY not Veggie friendly, they don't  quite get the concept.

As recently as 5 years ago, I googled vegetarian restaurant Paris.  Really couldn't find any.  You're right.  They don't understand the concept.

I met a French vegetarian who says that they treat her like a stupid forgetful person who forgot to order a meat course.

At least in Thailand you can order "jaay" everywhere except the satay/kebab vendor?

As french national living in Paris i can tell it's different since two years and it's easy to find vege restaurant.

8 hours ago, gamini said:

very sexy too. Never knew what oral sex was until I met a French girl. That of course was a long time ago when I was very young.

Since i came in Thailand i was never attract again by a french woman

On 28/02/2017 at 10:01 AM, houlicha said:

He's not a resident of Thailand, true, but Donald Trump recently said Paris has changed is is no longer worth going to. The mayor of Paris was delighted of course.

Yes but not far off wrong I live north of paris 6 months and here in Thailand PARIS is not the place it used  to be it is expensive ..dirty ..full of beggsrs and thieves the police make thai cops look good it also had its bad points I work and live near there  so this is from the horses or should I say Frogs mouth  bon voyage 

Archived