If you thought mobile internet speeds in Thailand were slow…this confirms it

webfact

18 hours ago, alocacoc said:

4g is better than the most free wifi in bars and restaurants. But, I would like to have a real unlimited 4g package. Still not possible.

Strange , still not possible ??? I have unlimited 4G !

Unlimited doesn't mean you would have 4G nationwide.... that's another case....

I've found all internet in Thailand rubbish, problems with it anywhere here, can't see Vietnam on that list but I found all internet in Vietnam really good everywhere I went. Best I've had in Asia.

Theres no 4G in Vietnam yet

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Canceraid said:

This is HILARIOUS!!!!! And some buffooons want to make Thailand the IT HUB, The HUB of Startups, etc etc......lol!  Start with the basics first clowns!

Here are the tests I made regularly with my iPhone 7 plus for True 4G in Samui ... not so bad for those clowns :post-4641-1156694572: 

IMG_1523.PNGsorry the the size of this picture "a bit too big"

Edited by Tchooptip

considering i get 40 up and down both on the southern islands and in bangkok this study seems a bit skewed. it is to be expected the infrastructure is skewed to population centers. 

compare that to 3 or 4 mbps in metro manila - when it works. 

everyone i know in SEA seems to think that thailand has great infrastructure. that is certainly my experience.

14 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Lao 3g and 4g is light years ahead of thailand in terms of quality and speed. Now come on all you bangkok residents living next to a switch or tower tell the rest of the country how good internet is in thailand.

if that is the case how come on my trips to vientiane i need to stay near the river because the net is so much faster from the thai side? similarly why do freinds there maintain thai sims for the same reason.

off topic, I am surprised by ais mobile customer service staff they really speak quite good english compared with many commercial establishments like bangkok bank where they made me sign life insurance contract then a text message came saying around 160,000 baht was deducted:bah:  

and all I wanted was safety box but I had to forget it.

5 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Cant even put a sim card in a phone and turn it on, that says it all.

Of course I can, don't be silly :)

In Thailand that and applying a data package would have been enough. In Lao, where the service is 'light years' ahead according to you, one needs to do at least two things more, firstly one needs to create an APN (in the case of Lao telecom with the name ltcnet) and secondly one needs to apply two codes to activate 3g and or 4g. Regardless whether a data package has already been applied.

I think you are trolling.

Edited by sjaak327

1 hour ago, Hereinthailand said:

Yeah Im trolling and some people are morons who cant figure things out on their own.

But I did, see you can't even read properly, says all about your assesment that Lao services are light years ahead...

Which has been contradicted by several other people already. But I understand some people rather attack others then admit they are talking nonsense...

How can a service be light years ahead, when putting a sim into a phone, and applying a data package is not enough ? It is in Thailand, not in Lao. And if the customer then calls to ask whatever more is needed, the representative doesn't even mention the two codes to activate the actual 3g/4g service. I had to go to a place with wifi to find that out. Lightyears ahead my ass, call me when speeds in Lao merely approach those in Thailand, not to mention the spotty coverage once you are a few hundreds meters away from route 13...

And even IF you are on route 13, you having a working data connection is a matter of sheer luck. Many times I have taken the bus from the village near Tha Kaek to Vientiane or vice versa. That is a five to six hour bus trip. Other then in Thailand where such trips are usually taken with a working data connection the whole way, in Lao taking out your phone to do a little facebook or browsing the web is always met with the question 'will it work' ? In my experience (as recent as 8 weeks ago) half of the time data does NOT work....

Edited by sjaak327

2 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Oh the man of so much experience and wisdom, the king of know it all, I am always right, blah blah blah keep up the long posts. 

Grow up. no counter arguments, probably because you never set foot on Lao soil in the first place...

• 1 month later...

I wish I had these speeds in the US.  In Tennessee my broadband (AT&T) to the house is 6 down and 0.5 up.  In Houston (also AT&T) it's 18 down and 1.5 up. Both cost about $65/month.  DSL in Tennessee and U-Verse in Houston.  In the village here we have TOT Winet (700 baht/mo) 10 down 0.75 up, but with great consistency.  Far steadier than it was last year.  4G speedtests in Khon Kaen are typically 30 to 50 down and 8 to 10 up.  In Houston and Tennessee 4G LTE is typically about 20 down and 5 up.  In the village 3G tests run 3 down and 2 up.  On 3G in the US the test will generally fail.

Looking through all the tests logged on my iPhone since 5/12/14, the fastest test ever (both down and up) was at BKK (wifi) last July.  94 down and 94 up.  I've been all over the world in that time.  The next best test was in a hotel in San Francisco last August.  73 down and 17 up.  

In the US the up is what I'm after.  HD security camera systems like 2.5 up.  I've never been able to get it.

South Africa faster internet than Thailand??? :lol: :lol: :lol: My brother just told me how excited he is to be getting his new internet in Johannesburg: 2500 Baht per month and a whopping 20 MB connection speed. I pay 799 for 50 MB here in Bangkok AND no cap (yes, a usage cap is still a thing in sunny SA)

• 5 months later...

once again use testmy.net as it is more accurate another thing to remember is who cares about speeds from bkok to say pattaya we care about speeds from bkok to international and what happens is the govt throttles everything through one spot and you can have 20 megs inside thailand but will be lucky to get 6 coming in from another place...